• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to best abbreviate a name

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZScribbles

Registered
Reaction score
I have two sisters in my WIP, Fatina and Falana. I have been abbreviating them in dialog as 'tina and 'lana, but that doesn't seem right when starting a sentence.

"Where did 'tina go," Falana asked.

and

"'lana, what is that goat doing in the garden?" Gorthelm asked.

I don't like the look of Tina and Lana (capitalized) for a story set in the seventh century, so I have been avoiding those forms.

What is the right way? What can I get away with?

Thanks

Honest Bill

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really see anything wrong with how you have it there. What is it that you don't like about it?

Kolta

Registered
Reaction score
If the shortened names sound inappropriate for the time period, then maybe the full names aren't quite right either.

You can get away with whatever is accurate. I've never come across either of these before, but if these were names given during that century, then the nicknames you have for them are fine however strange it looks. If it bothers you enough, you could just change their given names.

TZScribbles

Registered
Reaction score
I am ignorant of a stylistic rule that my apply (it would be style, not grammar, correct?) so I am concerned that the lowercase might be wrong somehow, especially at the start of a sentence.

If I changed the names, I would still have the same question. Do you shorten Hapadalafarmusi to 'dala or Dala. I prefer the apostrophe and lower case if I can get away with it. I think it cues the reader that it is an abbreviated name of a character the know instead of a new character they may not have seen before.

I am walking an artistic line with the name Tina, playing with the modernity of it. If I have to go with the capitalized form I will probably change the name to Tima.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have two sisters in my WIP, Fatina and Falana. I have been abbreviating them in dialog as 'tina and 'lana, but that doesn't seem right when starting a sentence.

and

I don't like the look of Tina and Lana (capitalized) for a story set in the seventh century, so I have been avoiding those forms.

Thanks
These look like nicknames rather than abbreviations of any kind. I'd just go with capitalizing them and forget the apostrophe. Think about it. We don't shorten Christina by writing 'tina so why would we shorten Fatina that way? It would just be Tina.

Mikjael

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Just use the capital. I think it will probably grow on you after a while.

I have a character whose name is Telsandra. Her name gets shortened to Telly. And another whose name Rhynavell, becomes Rhyn. My story is a fantasy, which I'm guessing yours isn't. I'm sure people abbreviated names and gave nicknames to people in the seventh century though, so I don't see why you can't either.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

and

Thanks

All names, even abbreviated names, are capitalized, and do not use an apostrophe. It's no different than called someone named "Donald" Don. I know twin sisters named Regina and Ramona. Everyone simply calls them Gina and Mona, and this is how they sign their names. Wherever and how ever you shorten a name, it's still just a name, and follows the same rules as a full name.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I am ignorant of a stylistic rule that my apply (it would be style, not grammar, correct?) so I am concerned that the lowercase might be wrong somehow, especially at the start of a sentence.

Lowercase is wrong regardless, because it's a proper name and the convention in most languages is an initial capital letter. You're writing in English, which has this convention. Don't make your readers' brains hurt trying to figure it out.

Also you don't need the apostrophe. Here's an example in English:

Elizabeth.

Liz.

But when it's the common short form, it's not 'Liz, and it's never 'liz (or liz).

Ellie_2014

Registered
Reaction score
I would agree with the suggestion of capitalising it. It's rare to see an abbreviated name conveyed with an apostrophe.

Status
Not open for further replies.