Mixed race MC's...do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
So you're saying if people are offended by something, even though the context isn't negative, I shouldn't use it?

I never said you shouldn't use it. I do think you should acknowledge people are offended, though, and not resort to a "it's only offensive if you take it that way" position.

So if I told you, you calling me Asian offended you, would you stop using that term?

I would acknowledge that you were offended and I might even ask why. You know, you get the discussion going and talk about race.

By your logic, we could never call anyone anything, due to the chance there's some people that might be offended by it.

You can call people whatever you want. But, again, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

No, racial slurs are completely different, because they are born from history and are always used in a negative context. Exotic is far from a racial slur.

Something doesn't have to be a racial slur to be offensive.

It's these barriers I'm trying to get through, because all it does is complicate the real discussions that should be had.

I don't mind having a real discussion. But I think we need to start by acknowledging different people come from different place, have different experiences and are offended by different things. To dismiss someone else's feelings as "it's not offensive unless you take it that way," is not a good place to start.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
I think we can go in circles, but are essentially saying the same thing. Again, the details of my book can't really be grasped by a message board, but its this exact idea of "I thought I belonged here, why do I feel so out of place?" that my characters go through.

To Little Ming-actually if you go back to the top of this thread, you'll see this conversation started when people, mostly of caucasian descent, felt the need to call me out for using the term exotic in a negative way, even though I obviously had no intention of doing so. I didn't start the discussion by saying these are terms people have to get used to, I'm simply defending my right to say it.

I just find it funny that I "can't" use a term to describe something that I am.

We're definitely not saying the same thing.

Also, you weren't using it to describe something that you are, you were using it to describe someone else, the Arab girl. If you said, "I feel like I look exotic" that would be different. Calling Arab people exotic is not the same thing.

Also I'm pretty sure the other people who called you out were not white. Not "mostly of Caucasian descent."

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm going to be blunt here. Every time someone calls me exotic just because my mother is appears predominantly white and my father is descended from slaves, I want to punch their teeth in. I do not enjoy being labeled as other or forienge when my family has been here longer then theirs in the vast majority of casses. I'm proud of my heritage, I'm proud to be mixed.

But my father being black makes me no more exotic than my mothers being descended from European jews, English settlers, south asian, and Native American ancestry makes me exotic. When people call me exotic they refer to my father being black, to them my mom looks white even though her father was half-indian and the same skin color as me. She isn't exotic because to them she's just normal looking, ie. White.

You may not be offended, but that doesn't mean a word doesn't have a certain conotation that others are not fully aware of.

Last edited:

L.David

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theseattleslew.com
We're definitely not saying the same thing.

Also, you weren't using it to describe something that you are, you were using it to describe someone else, the Arab girl. If you said, "I feel like I look exotic" that would be different. Calling Arab people exotic is not the same thing.

Also I'm pretty sure the other people who called you out were not white. Not "mostly of Caucasian descent."

Ummm...no. Look at my context again. Context is king.

"I had his love interest originally be a caucasian girl with an unknown, exotic background (like perhaps Russian/meditt)"

I didn't specify Arab at that point yet, I just knew I wanted a character who was of foreign descent. Again I ASK....what's wrong with that?

Little Ming-again, if you scroll up, I already apologized if people were offended, but defended my right to use the term. If that's not good enough for you, then I don't know what else to tell you, other than that I think there are more important racial issues....like the fact asian characters gets stereotyped very poorly in fiction, at hand.

By the way, I used Asian as an example because I do know people offended by that term. They prefer to be called whatever their ethnicity is, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, etc....I acknowledge their feelings, but I'm not going to remove that word from my vocabulary to describe people that are clearly asian. Even the word "American" is offensive in a lot of places. I only point this out to show there is an endless amount of terms we could be offended by, but I personally don't think it's productive, especially if not used in a negative way, because all it does it make people not want to talk about race, for fear of offending people.

I took it out of my original post so as not to offend anyone.

That's all I have to say on the matter, thanks.

Last edited:

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Little Ming-again, if you scroll up, I already apologized if people were offended, but defended my right to use the term.

Apologizing and then immediately following up with a remark that implies the fault of being "offended" is on the people feeling offended is not much of an apology.

I'm sorry if I offended you by the term. As a person of color myself though, I don't mind if people refer to me as such. I guess its all about how you see yourself. I'm proud of the fact I look different...
I'm proud of my ethnicity. I still find the term offensive.

And, again, no one said you couldn't use the term. There is no "right" you have to "defend."

If that's not good enough for you, then I don't know what else to tell you, other than that I think there are more important racial issues....like the fact asian characters gets stereotyped very poorly in fiction, at hand.

Okay. We can start with why Asians are still stereotyped as "exotic."

By the way, I used Asian as an example because I do know people offended by that term. They prefer to be called whatever their ethnicity is, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, etc....I acknowledge their feelings, but I'm not going to remove that word from my vocabulary to describe people that are clearly asian. I only point this out to show there is an endless amount of terms we could be offended by, but I personally don't believe that's where the discussion should be.

I think we can have multiple discussions. I also think that Appeal To Worse Problems is a strawman.

Despite all this, L.David, I do hope you stick around. Sometimes the best way for us to grow as writers and as people is to challenge our own preconceived notions of the world and others.

Good luck on your book. :)

L.David

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theseattleslew.com
I'm going to be blunt here. Every time someone calls me exotic just because my mother is appears predominantly white and my father is descended from slaves, I want to punch their teeth in. I do not enjoy being labeled as other or forienge when my family has been here longer then theirs in the vast majority of casses. I'm proud of my heritage, I'm proud to be mixed.

But my father being black makes me no more exotic than my mothers being descended from European jews, English settlers, south asian, and Native American ancestry makes me exotic. When people call me exotic they refer to my father being black, to them my mom looks white even though her father was half-indian and the same skin color as me. She isn't exotic because to them she's just normal looking, ie. White.

You may not be offended, but that doesn't mean a word doesn't have a certain conotation that others are not fully aware of.

Context: But I wasn't talking about you, or your parents. I'm talking about a fictional character who comes from a country halfway across the world. In that sense, I think the word exotic would apply. I suppose not though, according to popular opinion.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed this post was edited the same time I was typing my reply. I'll address it now.

By the way, I used Asian as an example because I do know people offended by that term. They prefer to be called whatever their ethnicity is, Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, etc....I acknowledge their feelings, but I'm not going to remove that word from my vocabulary to describe people that are clearly asian. Even the word "American" is offensive in a lot of places. I only point this out to show there is an endless amount of terms we could be offended by, but I personally don't think it's productive, especially if not used in a negative way, because all it does it make people not want to talk about race, for fear of offending people.

I took it out of my original post so as not to offend anyone.

Part of talking about race is talking about what offends people. It just is. There's no way to avoid this. If you want to have an open honest discussion then you have to be open to the possibility that you might offend people.

Otherwise, how would we learn?

I'm sure you're not feeling very good right because so many people have expressed offense at the word "exotic," and you're feeling like you have to "defend your right" to say it (though no one said you can't). But if no one said anything, and you just continued to inadvertently offend more and more people, do you really think that is "productive"?

Systematic and subtle racism is real, and even people who have good intentions, who are not using the terms in an obviously negative way, are susceptible. That's why it's important to call it out when we see it. To not say anything because we fear offending the offenders is NOT productive. IMO. It just allows the systematic and subtle racism to continue.

If people want to seriously, honestly, and openly discuss race, then yes, it is going to be touchy and possibly even uncomfortable discussion. Deal with it.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Context: But I wasn't talking about you, or your parents. I'm talking about a fictional character who comes from a country halfway across the world. In that sense, I think the word exotic would apply. I suppose not though, according to popular opinion.

The fact is that the word has that conotation for many people. Including those of mixed race ancestry. Mixed=/=exotic, and it shouldn't. PoC doesn't and shouldn't equal exotic. You want to use the word on a forum, whether you yourself are PoC or not, then be prepared for people to call you out when you use it about another ethnic group. It isn't about being PC, it's about respect.

Context does not and can not always change the connotation or history of a word.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed this post was edited the same time I was typing my reply. I'll address it now.

Part of talking about race is talking about what offends people. It just is. There's no way to avoid this. If you want to have an open honest discussion then you have to be open to the possibility that you might offend people.

I agree with this. :)

When I first moved to California from Asia, one of the first people I befriended was Latina. I said, "Ooohh, can you speak Mexican!!" She sighed and told me there is no such language. It's Spanish, and I shouldn't say things like "Speak Mexican!" because it's offensive. I was confused, but you know what I didn't do? I didn't say, "Hey, it's only offensive if you choose to make it offensive. You guys are just too PC over here." :D That would be shutting her down, which wouldn't have encouraged further discussion.

I said, "Oh, I didn't know, I'm sorry." She said it's okay and we had a really good discussion about race and ethnicity. I doubt that we would have had that discussion if I'd just dismissed her as being "too PC".

Systematic and subtle racism is real, and even people who have good intentions, who are not using the terms in an obviously negative way, are susceptible. That's why it's important to call it out when we see it. To not say anything because we fear offending the offenders is NOT productive. IMO. It just allows the systematic and subtle racism to continue.

Yep, this. I'm a PoC. I have good intentions, but I make mistakes a lot of the time. Someone had to explain to me why "Mexican" isn't the same as "Hispanic", and, years later, why "Latina" is a more appropriate term than "Hispanic" in some cases. I appreciate being told that because the last thing I want to do is to contribute to subtle racism. And, really, is it such a huge burden to remember which terms to use and which ones to avoid when referring to other human beings? It's not the end of the world to make mistakes. Just own up to them and strive to do better, because you know better now.

Fwiw, I don't find the term "exotic" offensive, I find it amazingly creeptastic. :D The only times I have been referred to as exotic are by, surprise surprise, creepy guys who probably see me as just a piece of "exotic" flesh. Unsurprisingly, our conversations tend to be pretty short, with my hand hovering closer and closer to my pepper spray. ;)

My friends and I don't get offended and huffy about it. We just judge the person using it and make fun of him later on. :D

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
I have a different point of view from the rest of my fellow writers on this subject. I believe that exotic can be use for POC in literature. In my current industry, exotic is the term used for people of color. Often Asian and Black women are often classified as exotic. While latinas and East Indian women are called "unique" beauties. I would have to say that I often write mixed race characters and they do quite well with their audience.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
If you have a story to tell, tell it. Don't let anything stop you from doing that.

One of the reasons I went with a biracial MC was because I realized that there were few if any in the MG SF world. I'd prefer that the world were colorblind, but people growing up with different backgrounds go through different things that many of the majority simply don't have to think about.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
See. I think that mixed characters should be treated with the same care as fullblooded characters. Personally, as I said before, the reason I hate to be called exotic and to see PoC characters refered to as such is because of why people refer to me as exotic. I'm descended from African slaves on my father's side of the family, and his family has been here since before this nation was a country, in most cases way longer than the people who like to call me exotic have been here. I don't see myself or any African American as exotic, I'm simply a person.

The word also has a history of being used to fetishize POC, and I find the idea disturbing.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I have a different point of view from the rest of my fellow writers on this subject. I believe that exotic can be use for POC in literature. In my current industry, exotic is the term used for people of color. Often Asian and Black women are often classified as exotic. While latinas and East Indian women are called "unique" beauties. I would have to say that I often write mixed race characters and they do quite well with their audience.

Unless you are IN the Caribbean, it's plain old 'Indian' unless the person is from Bengal or some place. Many Indian people in North America actually originate from Western India, like Goa or Gujarat, or the North, like Punjab.

And yes, most of us 'get' that 'exotic' means non-white. Though as a full-blooded 'Brit' I too have been called 'exotic' a couple of times in my life, which is a serious WTF, though they then say I 'look different' or 'look Irish/Scottish' what have you. It's still rather fetishistic and your industry whatever it is probably does allow for eroticised connotations that are frowned upon elsewhere. Let's face it, you wouldn't call the frumpy grandmother of that 'unique beauty' exotic as well, would you? However, it does at least irk everyone, including 'boring' whites and PoCs with 'some extra pounds' or with less than perfect bone structure, equally :D Now, I do know some people who aren't at all bothered about being called 'exotic', but do keep in mind that it's not universal.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Well I must say, this wins the most Creeptastic Post of the Year Award. ;)

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score

WHAT. WHAT. What is happening here?

M.N. Thorne, are you saying that in your "current industry," which, by your picture, I can only assume is of the half-naked variety, you objectify and classify women of color in order to please an audience of consumers, which I can only assume are of the white-male, also half-naked variety?

TELL ME IT AIN'T SO.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Wilde, I always used East Indian when talking about people from the Indian subcontinent. No one including those of Indian descent had a problem with me using that term. So you are not going to talked to me about how I used that term. I met many different people from the Indian Subcontinent and used the term for all of them as "East Indian". However, my family does come from both Latin America and the Caribbean. Also keep in mind that many people do not have your hangups as well. Also keep in mind that I am American. People from the Indian subcontinent is talked about differently here than in the UK. People often mistaken them from either Arabic or other Middle Eastern people. They welcome being called "East Indian" in California.

You are correct! My current industry is not as prudish as some but the term "exotic" still can apply to other industries. Some people are just more prudish than others. I look at race quite differently than you look at. I know that I am a person and I am not bother by others racist comments. That's why I told the OP that he should used exotic if he wants to.

Unless you are IN the Caribbean, it's plain old 'Indian' unless the person is from Bengal or some place. Many Indian people in North America actually originate from Western India, like Goa or Gujarat, or the North, like Punjab.

And yes, most of us 'get' that 'exotic' means non-white. Though as a full-blooded 'Brit' I too have been called 'exotic' a couple of times in my life, which is a serious WTF, though they then say I 'look different' or 'look Irish/Scottish' what have you. It's still rather fetishistic and your industry whatever it is probably does allow for eroticised connotations that are frowned upon elsewhere. Let's face it, you wouldn't call the frumpy grandmother of that 'unique beauty' exotic as well, would you? However, it does at least irk everyone, including 'boring' whites and PoCs with 'some extra pounds' or with less than perfect bone structure, equally :D Now, I do know some people who aren't at all bothered about being called 'exotic', but do keep in mind that it's not universal.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score

This is an excellent example of systematic racism becoming so common that people start believing racist language is okay and acceptable.

You are correct! My current industry is not as prudish as some but the term "exotic" still can apply to other industries. Some people are just more prudish than others. I look at race quite differently than you look at. I know that I am a person and I am not bother by others racist comments. That's why I told the OP that he should used exotic if he wants to.

"My current industry uses racist language and personally I am okay with racist language, so I will continue to use racist language. People who are not okay with racist language are just prudish."

Right.

As I told the OP, you can use whatever language you want. But "exotic" in this context is a racist term and you will offend some people. And no, it is not because we are "prudish."

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, women and men of color including myself learn quickly that people will classify them as differently than our white counterparts. Asian, Latin,People of African descent, and other people of color learn to accept this way of thinking. But not just people of color learn this lesson but plus size white women and men as well. Transwomen learn that they are fetishes to their customers instead of people. When they become big stars than you become a person. Most adult entertainment companies including phone sex companies try to make people of color and other minorities feel secure. Many of us go through training in order to handle racism and other things in this industry. But this training has stop in recent years.

For example, every phone sex operator learns that race is a factor when it comes to how much money you will make. Your company will tell you to create different types of characters. White female characters will make more than POC female characters unless it is BDSM or something more taboo. Than POC make more than the white female characters. In addition, East Indian and Roma women make less than everyone else in the American adult entertainment industry. They make less as strippers, dominatrixes, phone sex operators, and cam models than anyone else. I have worked on many East Indian and Roma adult entertainer portfolios in order to make them more marketable in America.

WHAT. WHAT. What is happening here?

M.N. Thorne, are you saying that in your "current industry," which, by your picture, I can only assume is of the half-naked variety, you objectify and classify women of color in order to please an audience of consumers, which I can only assume are of the white-male, also half-naked variety?

TELL ME IT AIN'T SO.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me but do not put words in my mouth. I was telling everyone the truth about my industry. I never said that I was okay with using racist language. But I was just stating the fact that some industries fetishized people more than others. The adult entertainment industry does it quite often because the customer does it. They cater to the customer. In fact, a lot of the entertainment industry does it. Why do you think that so many television shows and movies have white characters only. There is not different but at least the adult industry tells people of color the truth. Do you think that corporate America tells people of color and women the truth? Nope, they just pass them over for white male counterparts. That is the way the Western world is. Also, Little Ming, I was talking to Wilde about that. I did not stated that other people on here was prudish. That is not my fault if you personally took offensive to what I was saying. I stand by what I was saying. "Exotic" is not a racial term nor slur. If the OP does not want to use than he should not.

This is an excellent example of systematic racism becoming so common that people start believing racist language is okay and acceptable.

"My current industry uses racist language and personally I am okay with racist language, so I will continue to use racist language. People who are not okay with racist language are just prudish."

Right.

As I told the OP, you can use whatever language you want. But "exotic" in this context is a racist term and you will offend some people. And no, it is not because we are "prudish."

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Excuse me but do not put words in my mouth. I was telling everyone the truth about my industry. I never said that I was okay with using racist language. But I was just stating the fact that some industries fetishized people more than others. The adult entertainment industry does it quite often because the customer does it. They cater to the customer. In fact, a lot of the entertainment industry does it. Why do you think that so many television shows and movies have white characters only. There is not different but at least the adult industry tells people of color the truth. Do you think that corporate America tells people of color and women the truth? Nope, they just pass them over for white male counterparts. That is the way the Western world is.

Systematic racism, as I said above. I know this is the way part of the world is. I also believe it would be better if it wasn't this way, which is why it is important to call it out when we see it instead of defending it.

Also, Little Ming, I was talking to Wilde about that. I did not stated that other people on here was prudish. That is not my fault if you personally took offensive to what I was saying. I stand by what I was saying. "Exotic" is not a racial term nor slur. If the OP does not want to use than he should not.

And I stand by what I said: "Exotic" in this context is racist. Just because a part of the world is okay with this form of racism doesn't make it any less racist, or less offensive.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Putputt, it is the truth. The adult entertainment industry classify everyone and place them into a category. It does not matter if that people is working as porn actor, stripper, burlesque dancer, cam model, phone sex operator, or etc. Everyone gets classify in that industry and everyone prepares you for that. At least, they used to prepare the new men and women for that hard truth in the industry. Even Burlesque dancers are effected by this classification. I knew many Burlesque dancers of color that did not get booked because the color of their skin. Many that did not get booked because of their size. But that is just apart of the business.

Well I must say, this wins the most Creeptastic Post of the Year Award. ;)

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
That is wishful thinking on your part. Do not believe for any second that people are not going to fetishized others. That is how the entertainment industry works. Speciality, that is how the adult industry works. People are going to racist no matter what you or I say. Systematic racism is in every society. It is part of the human condition. Every minority most deal with systematic racism in the workplace and else where. I am not defending anything but myself. I am a minority woman working in one of the toughest industry on earth. In fact, I instructed other women of color and gay men on how to survive in this industry. I told the truth and it was not to your liking. I am sorry if I do not live in a world of rose colored glasses. I see things for what they are than how they should be. Racism is not as bad it once was. But it is still there and I am not defending it. I am just truthful about it. So, you have a great day:Hug2:

Systematic racism, as I said above. I know this is the way part of the world is. I also believe it would be better if it wasn't this way, which is why it is important to call it out when we see it instead of defending it.

And I stand by what I said: "Exotic" in this context is racist. Just because a part of the world is okay with this form of racism doesn't make it any less racist, or less offensive.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm mixed race, half mi'kmaq and quarter welsh and quarter german.

I say go for it, if you want your MC to be full raced then do it, if you really desire for her to be mixed race then do it.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
That is wishful thinking on your part. Do not believe for any second that people are not going to fetishized others. That is how the entertainment industry works. Speciality, that is how the adult industry works. People are going to racist no matter what you or I say. Systematic racism is in every society. It is part of the human condition. Every minority most deal with systematic racism in the workplace and else where. I am not defending anything but myself. I am a minority woman working in one of the toughest industry on earth. In fact, I instructed other women of color and gay men on how to survive in this industry. I told the truth and it was not to your liking. I am sorry if I do not live in a world of rose colored glasses. I see things for what they are than how they should be. Racism is not as bad it once was. But it is still there and I am not defending it. I am just truthful about it. So, you have a great day:Hug2:

I deal with a great of racism, and other -isms in my daily life too. So no, I do not live in a rose-colored world, nor am I refusing to see the "truth."

I guess we just differ on how we think the world can be. I see the great progress we've made against racism, and other -isms, and believe that the world can still continue to get better, but it needs people to make that difference. And that includes calling out systematic racism when we see it.

You "see things for what they are [sic] than how they should be." I see things as what they are and how they should be.

You are correct that the "truth" is not to my "liking," because I believe we can be better. Maybe that is "wishful thinking." But without "wishing" we would never have made the progress that we have today.

Good day to you, too. :)

Last edited:

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say go for bi-racial. Being bi-racial can create more possible conflicts for the MC to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.