All Things Middle Grade

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
After a mini hiatus I'm back onto the MG train. Anyone ever start with revisions and end up completely re-writing their entire MS? I think that's what's happening to me, or actually, I think that's what I'm doing to myself.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ivan - Just read your article on Bookseller.com. I loved what Harriet Wilson said about you:

"He is both very clever and very silly . . . It’s clear his mind isn’t quite like anyone else’s and that’s rather exciting."

I hope someone says something that awesome about me someday! Can't wait to read your book in May. Hopefully it's available in the States!

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
Ivan - Just read your article on Bookseller.com. I loved what Harriet Wilson said about you:

"He is both very clever and very silly . . . It’s clear his mind isn’t quite like anyone else’s and that’s rather exciting."

I hope someone says something that awesome about me someday! Can't wait to read your book in May. Hopefully it's available in the States!

Harriet is lovely. I swear I don't deserve that quote but it's a great thing to hear about yourself!
Current release date in the UK is 28th April, but as yet we've not secured an American publisher. Fingers crossed, but I'm not sure that'll happen, and if it does it might only be on the back of strong UK sales so we'll have to wait and see. I'm pretty sure you can buy it off amazon.co.uk anyhow, but you'll have to pay more for postage :( OR, maybe, there'll be an eBook. Who knows! (I certainly don't! They tell me nothing.)
Thanks for the support - I'm sure it'll happen to you. Just need that lucky break.

RobotNinja

Lunchables!
Registered
Reaction score
After a mini hiatus I'm back onto the MG train. Anyone ever start with revisions and end up completely re-writing their entire MS? I think that's what's happening to me, or actually, I think that's what I'm doing to myself.

Yep. I was convinced that after 5 months editing and 10 complete revisions, that my story was ready to go. I've queried a few agents now, all so far have come back with form rejections, which is disappointing, but I think fairly standard. However, a couple of weeks ago I got a terrible case of "This whole thing stinks, and you're a very silly robot for thinking you could write."

After rocking in a corner for a while, then stepping back in for another revision, I thought of a way I could perhaps improve the book. It involves a massive rewrite. But I quite like it! I don't know if it will help sell it, but if I can make it better, that's got to be a good thing.

Also - in the spirit of noel, I'm offering crepes aux marron to all you lovely MGers. They're sticky, but super tasty :)

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com

The closest I got was deleting every other chapter from the first half of my book.

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
I can probably say I have started revising a MS and then rewritten EVERY SENTENCE, not to change the story, but just to make it clear! Sigh. :)

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score

Yep. Well, to be clear, I haven't yet, but it's what I know I need to do.

I keep reminding myself how it'll be so much better for it!

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
I finally had to stop re-writing and editing, because I knew I would always find something to change. So I've started querying agents now, though I'll get in full-swing after the holidays. I realize if this goes no where, I may change the whole thing, only keeping those basic things inherent to the story. Anyway, eventually you just have to have faith and take the leap! I decided I couldn't re-write forever or I'd never have the guts to show my work.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I can probably say I have started revising a MS and then rewritten EVERY SENTENCE, not to change the story, but just to make it clear! Sigh. :)

Me too. There are very few sentences in a final version that match anything in the last draft.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
There's also a point where the book is as good as you're going to be able to make it, and it's time to move on. Even if it means that particular story will never see the light of day.

That's a hard thing to decide--one more revision? Or cut your losses and move on?

Personally, I tend to move after 3 revisions. I just have so many other stories to tell.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I've been quietly trying to work... Arg. I do have some more progress on my MG but I'm really pushing to finish my novel.

But I am very soon running out of as far as I outlined on Calvin- which is like to the next scene!

I have to keep reminding myself that MG has to get to the point- no luxuriating in long descriptions and no piles of background for secondary characters.

But after this scene I have no idea what I'm doing!!!! :e2cry:

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Um ... if you guys want to see my FIRST EVER photo with S. Claus, it's on my blog. See link in signature. :)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, Amarie! Did the kids say anything about liking/not liking character names in titles? Had a discussion about this with my teenage daughter. I love names in titles; she hates them!

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Um ... if you guys want to see my FIRST EVER photo with S. Claus, it's on my blog. See link in signature. :)

That's your first picture ever with the big guy?! Really?! One of my mom's favorite pics is me, fat and bald, crying on Santa's lap next to my beaming older brother. Not sure if he was smiling because I was crying or Santa just gave him a candycane. Probably both!

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Of course I WOULD meet Santa after I've gotten over wanting toys for Christmas.

Yes, it's true. I have.

Mostly. :)