Overwhelming amounts of writing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillsy7

Registered
Reaction score
I'll reiterate everyone else - find your own process. Personally, I think reading a lot helps. You'll learn to develop an...."ear" for good prose. This mixed with your own writing style is a decent way of learning to line edit. Reading Strunk and so on will teach you to target certain phrases, but with most writers the end product isn't so clinically perfect. It's a semblance of perfection flawed in a way that's appealing.

Anyway, two things I'd ask you to seriously consider.

1) From Brandon Sanderson: "Through practice, the author will foster in his or herself a skill both conscious and subconscious, one that recognizes what belongs in a particular novel and that which does not." The key here is subconscious. Working to all these prompts and so on effectively train the conscious to target and analyse areas of concern or issue. That's fine. However the ultimate aim of all this advice, is to program good habits into the subconscious. You'll hear sportsman talk about muscle memory - this is exactly that. You work through the ugly, stupid and limited devices of practise so that you start to do the core of them subconsciously. And only the core. Around that core you'll add your own blend of style. Which leads me into....

2) Beware Hyperbole! This (coupled with a personality that's far too literal and various other issues) is why I struggle to write any more. It's very, very easy to toss about comments that sound beautiful and inspiring. In all your study of the craft of writing, how many times have you read something like "Make sure every word is exactly where it should be!" or "Every paragraph should move the story forward!" or "Polish it until it shines so bright no agent can close their eyes against the light!".....crap like that. I did what you did - ingested everything I could on the craft of writing so I could unfuck anything I write. You know what? It's such bad advice. Don't get me wrong - at the core it's true as maths, but essentially it's as false as "giving 110%".

So my advice to you is this (However you choose to apply it): internalise as much as you can of the ideals of the advice you're reading, but strip every article or lecture down to an idea rather than a checklist. So rather than "Ensure each scene has the 857 rules of conflict, motion and character", think instead 'if I skipped this scene, would then next one make sense?'. That sort of thing. Vague notions, feelings, whether something fits. Then read a lot, until you can differentiate a passage you think is clunky, versus something you read twice because it makes you go all tingly. Then use those checklists as prompts until you've built up your subconscious to take all those ideas of good practise and turn them into an instinct.

Once you're there, editing (hopefully) becomes a fluid, natural, free process. And all the advice you've read will feel clunky, simplistic and fake.

Last edited:

Peter Kenson

Registered
Reaction score
I know my writing style has changed since I joined this forum. So the later chapters of my current WIP are very different from the earlier ones and, hopefully will require less revision when I reach that point.

I have been 'accused' - wrong word, way too harsh. It has been pointed out to me that I use too many words and certainly too many adverbs. That is part of my writing 'style' that I am already working on and, when I go back to my earlier chapters, I am reasonably confident that I can deal with those issues.

Those are small points - important but small. The big points are:
Does the plot hang together?
Are the characters believable?
Will the readers relate to them? and
Has the development of those characters been done in such a way that supports the conclusion of the plot?

Those are the issues that I will have to address in the first revision.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, congrats on finishing your first draft!!! You've already gotten further than millions of other people! Good job.

I don't want to add to the heap of advice you're struggling with: but when you're revising, try to work from big to small. There's no point getting your punctuation perfect if you're then going to rewrite long chunks of your book to plug up a few plot holes, for example.

I think this is awesome advice. It's simple and it makes sense.

My personal process, take it or leave it, is to print the entire thing out and read it through, making notes, and then I go back and read it out loud. It's amazing what you catch when you're reading it out loud... you're forced to read what's there, not read what you expect to see. Very helpful. :)

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
My personal process, take it or leave it, is to print the entire thing out and read it through, making notes, and then I go back and read it out loud. It's amazing what you catch when you're reading it out loud... you're forced to read what's there, not read what you expect to see. Very helpful. :)

I do that with areas that aren't feeling or coming together quite right. I've never done it with the whole book though. How long does that take? It takes me long enough to read through the whole book critically, let alone out loud.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think the advice about walking away from it is great. You need some time away from it. .

Maybe the OP needs time away, and maybe not. There is no such thing as need for anyone other than yourself. That's just wrong. Some writers like to take time away, some writers may even need time away, but a great many writers don't need a second away. Quite a few writers out there write the same way I do, which is to edit/rewrite each page as we go, so time away is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.