Write scenes, then put in order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
So I've been outlining my next story. I decided to write the various POV character scenes in order first, then put them together based on the various plot lines. There are two main plots happening at the same time which affect each other, so I kind of have it outlined as two different stories.

But I'm having trouble arranging these scenes into one story. I can see where some things should go, but not everything. It's just a pain figuring out when some things should happen based on the pacing of the story.

So, should I just write the scenes like this and put them together later? Seems like Scrivener would be useful for this type of arrangement, but I can't really afford the cash for the non-trial version right now.

Are there any other alternatives I'm not thinking of?

Ron Juckett

Registered
Reaction score
Get Scrivener when you can afford it. That's the perfect use for the software.

If I were you, I'd create a special folder in your word processor and just write and save individual scenes as they run through your head. You can always copy and paste into a bigger document when the time comes. Leave a page break between out-of-order scenes so, when you do polish things up, you can seamlessly construct your manuscript.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
Scrivener is awesome for this kind of work. it's very easy to change order.

But... since you can't afford it yet, I also suggest writing each scene in it's own document and keep those in a book folder. For ease of use, use a doc name that conveys what is in the scene. When you have your plot outline in place, you can copy them into a master document. As a bonus, the scene titles end up building a synopsis.

As a heads-up, if you Nano, you can often get a code for a discount on Scrivener. I bought my copy for $20. It's regularly $40 ($45 for Mac), so it's a pretty affordable program. Even if you're not ready to take the plunge now, keep an eye out for sales and discount opportunities.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
You can use Yarny. It's free, and you can rearrange the scenes just by dragging them around.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
If you have a Mac, Scrivener is (or at least it was last week) half off if you buy it through the Mac app store.

John Chambers

Registered
Reaction score
Getting all the scenes onto paper is the hard part. Moving them around and plugging the plot holes is the fun bit :) If in doubt, write! then write some more. The editing process can move chapters around in seconds.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I use the old-fashioned method: copy/paste. :p

Seriously, though. I write all my scenes, then copy and paste them to whichever part of the story they want to go. If it needs a transition to help blend it into that chapter, I write a transition. If it needs details changed so the chronology works, then I change the details. (This is where having a detailed outline, including a timeline, really makes a difference.)

Andrea Rittschof

Registered
Reaction score
If I didn't write in order I wouldn't have a clue what was going on. I'm so linear.

With Charlie Horse on this one. I'm struggling with moving scenes in revisions and the only way I'm able to keep track is with an outline. Heard great things about Scrivener but if you can't afford it, try an outline to help you keep track.

darkelf

Lurking in darkness
Registered
Reaction score
I write out of order all the time.

The way I manage it is for each scene I create an index card. After I've got all the scenes in my head written, I pull out the index cards and lay them out in the order they should be, shuffling as necessary. If I'm trying to weave two stories (or different pov) together, I'll color the tops of the index cards, so I can see at a glance how much of each story is grouped together. Then I make an outline and list of the stuff I'm missing (I'm always missing something) and write those. Then I assemble the story. Some scenes are never used.

I use Scrivener for the scenes. It has electronic index cards which makes moving the scenes easy, but I still use physical cards for laying out the story. I don't know why, but something about those cards on the table just works for me.

darkelf

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In longer work, I'm definitely a scene-writer. I generally have a vague idea where I'm headed, but it usually doesn't involve detailed specifics, and when an idea for a scene with characters interacting occurs to me, I write it, regardless of where it might go. Sometimes these go nowhere, and get jettisoned. But I think in terms of characters interacting, behaving, in situations, not in terms of plot movement, like a freight train passing by.

Shorter stuff, I tend to be more linear, because the entire concept is clear to me at the beginning.

But you have to do what gets you forward. Ain't no cookbook.

caw

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
I did that. It's great for getting the scene in mind on paper immediately. Writing in the smooth transitions is the only asinine part. But I like it.

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
BTDT. I write scenes as they come to me. Otherwise, I run the risk of losing them forever. That means a lot of it is out of order. If you have scenes in your head, get them down. Worry about where they go later. At least then you have them!

Sadly, you will find that not every scene you write makes the cut. Sometimes you'll be able to lift dialogue and paragraphs from one scene to add to another, or you'll need to rewrite them to make them fit in.

I'm visual, so what I do is get everything done, and then do Post-It Notes for each scene and stick them on my office wall. Right now I am rewriting a book and I have the scenes all stuck on my wall -- and a whole bunch of notes left over that apparently are not going to make the cut.

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
I really like writing scenes out of order (unfortunately my brain doesn't work like that) and I think it makes some great opportunities for a good bit of foreshadowing.

I'm a BIG fan of the subtle foreshadow that you had no idea was a foreshadowing at all until you get to the part and it hits you like a train.

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mostly a chronological writer, although I do write scenes as they come to me and pop them into my notes to add in to the chapter when I get there.

I had to do a bit of shifting around of scenes on my current edit/rewrite session. The way I approached it was having a detailed timeline by chapter and then by scene so I could c&p in the order I needed. Maybe a timeline would be helpful?

I'm going to look at some of these writing program suggestions though, because I just use word with the document mapping on.

Status
Not open for further replies.