ISBN foreign or US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afarnam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ariefarnam.com
Does any one know how a non-US ISBN would impact the business end of things, such as with Smashwords or PoD services with sales mostly in the US?

I am a US citizen but a permanent resident in the Czech Republic, so it appears from what I read that I have the option to get ISBNs in the US or in the CR. At least I haven't run into anything that says otherwise. ISBNs are horrendously expensive in the US, so I am tempted to try to do it where it is actually a normal form of registration in the Czech Republic. However, my tax issues will be handled in the US only. Given that the IRS would double tax me anyway, there is no reason to involve another country in that.

But I wonder if that will be complicated if I have foreign ISBNs and my tax identity is in the US. Does anyone know? Do publishers with foreign ISBNs have to pay international tariffs? Thanks for any hints.

Last edited:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but I think people in Canada don't pay much or at all for ISBNs and use them with no problem. If the number is the same (same format, number of digits) I don't know why it would be an issue.

Both Smashwords and CreateSpace (Amazon's POD service) will provide ISBNs free. You can also spend $10 to get one from CreateSpace that gives you more options as far as listing your publisher name on your print book's record. They offer a $99 option, as well, which is still cheaper than through Bowker directly.

Look into them, because those might be a solution for you.

afarnam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ariefarnam.com
Thanks for the ideas, Shelleyo. I will look into that.

I know about Canada but they have a special agreement with the US on this sort of thing, so I am not sure that the same rules will apply.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The price of ISBNs is purely the choice of the country that issues them. As a publisher, where are you based? You should choose the ISBN of that country regardless of price IMHO. If you live permanently in the Czech Republic, get them there ( http://www.en.nkp.cz/services/services-for/isbn-ismn-issn/inter-registr ). Retailers treat all ISBNs essentially the same. The only question is whether there are any grants etc you might want to apply for that are only for US published books.

Last edited:

afarnam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ariefarnam.com
I have legal residency in both countries, spend part of the year in each, will soon be a citizen of both, get taxed by both, write in both, publish over the internet. "Where are you based?" is becoming a problematic topic for a lot of people these days. :p

The main issue is that bit about the retailers. If retailers treat them the same and I'm not going to suddenly run up against someone saying, "Oh, that 70 percent royalty category is only for US ISBNs. You get 30 percent. So there."

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think there would be a problem - There's no 'special' deal with Canada and the US, just a tax treaty - the US-Czech tax treaty can be found at http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/International-Businesses/Czech-Republic---Tax-Treaty-Documents.

I'm not an international tax expert (thank god) but based on a cursory read of that document, it looks like you should be taxed on royalties based on your country of residence, not citizenship. So if you wanted to worry about something, you could worry about that!

I have Canadian ISBNs and my US distributors don't seem to know a thing about them. They base their tax withholding on my W8-BEN forms, not on the ISBNs of the books. On a few occasions when my W8-BEN was late getting to them, they withheld taxes despite the ISBNs.

afarnam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ariefarnam.com
Thanks, Captcha. That is very helpful.

I'm not an international tax expert either but from what I have seen in practice, where you are taxed has much more to do with the laws of the countries you associate with than with any overall standards. The US taxes all citizens on self-employed income of any kind no matter where they live and no matter if that income has already been taxed by a foreign country. The minimum limit is $400 per year. So, if you are a US citizen and are self employed of any sort and make more than $400 a year anywhere, the IRS wants your money, period.

The Czech state is much more reasonable about this. They want to know about all your income but they only tax income made on their soil. It doesn't really matter if you're a citizen or not. If you make money in the CR legally they are going to want to tax it. But you can be resident in CR and make money abroad that is taxed abroad and not be taxed for that in CR. At least this is how I understand it and its the only way I could make any income at all without being taxed twice.

Some people I have talked to say that if I get Czech ISBNs then I become a "Czech publisher" and any money I make as a "publisher" should be taxed here but I can still be a US author and any money I make as an "author" should be taxed there. :D Apparently, if Author Me doesn't give Publisher Me a cut to publish the books, then I can just "happily" pay taxes in the US. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.