Creating my own personal Kindle version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this question, but it comes closest, I think.

What I want to do is produce a version of my MS that I can read on my Kindle app. And I do mean just on my tablet. I'm not trying to make it generally available. This is a one-time thing.

I have DOCX, and I guess I need to convert to MOBI.

I've determined that the three most commonly recommended ways to do this are: have Amazon Direct convert it, convert it using Mobireader, and convert it using Calibre. There's also something about emailing it to your amazon account and having it converted automatically, but I'm not sure yet whether that's a variation on door number one or whether it's actually a fourth option.

Anyway, I'm less concerned about getting blow-by-blow instructions than I am about finding out which is the best or worst way to go. The problem with internet instructions is they often say "Oh, you can do it this way" but they fail to mention all the headaches, gotchas, and blind alleys involved in the process. So, if you've done this before, I'd appreciate any advice, especially of the "Run. Run!" variety.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of Kindle do you have? I have a Kindle Fire, and the easiest way for me to read something on that is to stick it in Google Docs and open it on my Kindle. No conversion necessary.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
It depends what you want.

If you want to read it on your kindle to see what it would look like as a finished book, with a functioning table of contents and nice formatting and so on, I'd use Calibre, probably. And I'd do some work on the html file in Word before I did the conversion.

If you don't much care about the formatting and links and so on, just the main text, then you can use any converter you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.