Status
Not open for further replies.

kellula

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I just wanted to share a website that might inspire some people:

http://shoeproject.webs.com

It's a collaborative publication project.

Please share it if you know anyone who would be interested in getting involved.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't see the point, or any advantage at all to submitting what you write to publications that will actually pay you?

kellula

Registered
Reaction score
The idea is that you would be paid if your contribution was published, that is if the collaborative project produced a book worthy of publication.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The idea is that you would be paid if your contribution was published, that is if the collaborative project produced a book worthy of publication.

That seems even more pointless, and far more risky that just submitting stories to existing, paying markets.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
So, you're basically tying your success to the quality of everyone else's work?

kellula

Registered
Reaction score
Not everyone with a writing talent can/wishes to publish a whole book. Some have a few superb pieces in them which may or may not be enough to submit for publication. Some musicians have one superb song in them. They produce a mediocre album and the rest of the world skips through it. What if each of those artists decided to collaborate and produce a great album? Would that be so bad?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not everyone with a writing talent can/wishes to publish a whole book. Some have a few superb pieces in them which may or may not be enough to submit for publication. Some musicians have one superb song in them. They produce a mediocre album and the rest of the world skips through it. What if each of those artists decided to collaborate and produce a great album? Would that be so bad?
It would be wonderful. Trouble is, who decides who's piece is 'suberb'?
What if they all submit 'mediocre' material?
When I buy an anthology, I go for a known quantity, either an editor whose work I've enjoyed before, a publisher who has previously put out anthologies I've liked, or at least a few of the authors involved are writers whose work I know.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Honestly, I think that's all rather odd, and completely untrue. It's just wishful thinking, at best. Even if it were true, and it isn't, if you think that's what's happening here, you're dead wrong. There's really nothing new about this approach, and I've never seen new writers contribute a bunch of superb pieces of writing, and I never will. What they submit is usually lousy pieces of writing, just like the ones that fill slush piles.

And since even one very short piece is enough to submit for publication, that part of your case is blown away.

Wanting to write short is why God created magazines that actually pay writers for short, superb pieces of writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.