Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Wampus and Dorothy!

I'm starting to get excited actually - it just took such a long time to sink in.
The plan is to submit to publishers fairly soon.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Even though I'm switching between two projects for NaNo, I THINK I might finish my MG in a week or so.

I don't know how to feel about this.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
JB, I'm so sorry about your dog! :Hug2: I'll be a wreck when my pets die.

Spinning Wheel, that's fantastic news!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :partyguy: :snoopy: You should be singing this from the rooftops! Regardless of whether this book sells (the sub process is hard, but not impossible--don't forget that!), you've surmounted a huge hurdle, and that is something to be really freaking excited about!! :hooray::e2bouncey

I hit 50,000 words today. Closing in on the end! I have a super boring government acquisition symposium to sit through today and tomorrow, but at least it's giving me plenty of writing time. ;)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Spinninigwheel! That is amazeballs!!!

As for me, I'm pretty much scrapping the last 2200 words I wrote over the weekend and going in a different direction. Le Sigh.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, JB, your post to that dog made me teary. Life gets complicated, and he was in the place he is most comfortable. Not sure how he'd feel about a new environment in his last months.

Spinning Wheel! That is amazing news. Let yourself get excited!

Because.

told before & told again
Registered
Reaction score
CONGRATS SPINNINGWHEEL OMG. I hope you have happy danced. And this is totally a thing that calls for screaming aloud tbh.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
JB, I am so sorry to hear about your loss *hugs*

Congrats Spinningwheel! That's a huge accomplishment.

Sorry I haven't been talkative. I'm suffering the author blues (not good enough to be writing, blah blah blah) and my health. I have my consultation with the surgeon a few hours from now, so at least I should get a few answers today.

I'm done trying for Nano this year. It isn't working out, but I wish it would. I need to finish the third in my series so I can start on one of my plot bunnies.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone :D

It's so weird adjusting! I was in 'looking for an agent' mode for a long time and I have to keep reminding myself I can stop reading agents' tweets and blogs to figure out who likes YA histfic, and all those helpful 'how to get an agent' articles that you keep on reading even when you've already read 100, in case the next one contains that one crucial piece of wisdom that will make all the difference!
It was a relief to go back to normal with a morning sitting at my desk making final changes to the manuscript prior to submitting to publishers (a non-fiction editor friend very kindly read it for me and found loads of things, but she got back to me after I sent the manuscript to the agent).

Now I have to figure out what personal qualities and habits I have to develop to make a success of being an agented writer and also stay sane....

Well done on all the words, everybody. Lots of productivity going on, I see!

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
SpinningWheel I'm pretty sure I'm dancing in excitement for you haha.

I can't wait till I'm at that point and have an agent! Ahhh! haha

I realized today that I'm almost half way done with Nano but not even close to being halfway done with the WIP. I'm nervous it's going to end up being extremely long. I don't want it to be overwritten but I like all the things I put into it..

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
JB! There she is! Congratulations!

Spinning Wheel, I think this is a great development in your writing career. Now you can work on developing a communication with this one agent and belt out some work for him or her to sell for ya!

E.S.Lark, I think you are Erin? Sorry about the blues and I hope you have answers to your physical woes soon. I love the term plot bunnies. They seem to happy and free.

We are about three months in on our move, and things are not getting better. The one benefit to moving was to be closer to family, but now there is a weird thing between me and my sister because she lost my cat.

People are looking though. Some guy called me today because he saw a gray tabby run across the road. LOL. Hey, it could be MY gray tabby.

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
JB This is so awesome! I know we talked about it on twitter and you were nervous, but just think about your new WIP and just keep on trucking! =D

Also if I buy it off the Evernight Teen website, is it like a digital download copy? I may just have to buy it off the amazon website just because I have a kindle and it'll be easier to get it on there! I'm not good with this whole, moving digital copies onto things with files and what not.

What happened to good ole paperbacks?

Last edited:

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Happy publication day, JustBishop!!!

And I managed to buy your book - I signed up for an account at the Evernight Teen site and got it there. (So if anyone else gets published by Evernight let me know and I'll buy yours too :D ) (Though I might have also accidentally sent it to the Kindle account of someone else with the same name as me as well - oops.)

I've been very technological this morning. Have bought myself a domain name and set up my writing blog, though I haven't written anything for it yet. Mustn't get sidetracked with blog before I've sent off manuscript to agent for submission.

E.S.Lark, I hope your surgeon consultation went well.
Sorry to hear you're having a confidence dive. Of course you are good enough to be writing. Where is the law to say that you have to be a certain level before you are allowed to write? And you know, writers are bad at judging the quality of their own work. You are better than you think.
The thing I find most helpful, though, is the thought that you don't actually need to know how good you are to make writing a meaningful activity - your job is just to keep on working at getting better and that applies no matter where you are on the scale. Best of luck x

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Jill, Erin or Nicole is just fine :)

Thank you, Spinningwheel.

As far as the consultation goes, as of right now I don't need surgery. I've been having pains in my lower right pelvic region (with nausea) for over 6 months now. I've been told I have this, that and the kitchen sink.

In any case, I went to a new doctor, went over everything with her, told her I have a history of gallstones, so she latched onto that and had me get an upper abdomen ultrasound.

I do have stones, and she told me to consult with a surgeon. However, after telling him I haven't had an attack since I changed my diet months ago, he doesn't feel it's wise for us to remove it since it isn't the cause of my on-going pain.

He's going to call the primary, then we'll decide on a second ultrasound (in the right area) or a catscan.

The one thing that's actually helped the pain and nausea was going gluten free. Wish I'd known about the celiac test before I did that since you need to be 'glutened' for 2 months to get an accurate bloodtest.

We know I'm highly intolerant to gluten now (possibly celiac, but I'm not willing to go back on gluten to find out).

The pains could still be from my insides healing, but it could also be cysts or any number of things. So, long story short, I need to see what's going on down there.

Sorry for the uber long post. Figure I should stop being mysterious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.