Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley- yeah, it's really great! I planned on going to vet school there, but that didn't work out (organic chemistry, ugh!). I did work at the large animal clinic there in college though and loved it.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
*nods* Stiger. I have a friend in med school and he's all grumblegrumbleOrgogrumble ;)
..Also how is your revisions going???

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
They're going okay. I'm almost done. Tonight I'm going to read my first chapter to my critique group and get their thoughts. A few more tweaks and I might be ready to submit.:scared:

Congrats on nearing the end of yours!!

Also, I congrats Zoombie! I said it on your Goals and Accomplishments, but I think it bears repeating!! :)

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Zoombie. Best of luck on sales.

Man candy from the viewpoint of a straight & manly man: Among Casilla, Villa, Torres... My vote goes to Casilla. His look is more sophisticated and has more characters. Villa & Torres (or their younger versions) are more of chiseled faces, pretty but less beyond. Of course, tossing in Marat Safin, these are all little kids, no contest. Now that the verdict's out, I think we oughta move on to Megan Foxxxxxxxxx.

Smiley: Lesley? Wellesley (those soccer boys would be pretty pathetic then)?

Hypothetical question: if you could get into Bowdoin (arguably best Art History program, SAT median 2155) or Brown (also top Art History school + Ivy League, SAT median 2085), which would you more likely choose? OR, which would you use your Early Decision on (Brown ~20% ED accepted--Forbes number; Bowdoin ~25% enrolled--school stat)?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Bing, dude, I'm not even smart enough to follow all that, so...err...I'd uh...flip a coin?is this for a story? your son/daughter?

And umm, what do you think about Alex Morgan? :D I can totally talk hot gorgeous woman if you want (though Alex is more cute than hot IMO). Morgan or Solo? :)

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Bing, dude, I'm not even smart enough to follow all that, so...err...I'd uh...flip a coin?is this for a story? your son/daughter?

LOL, word. It sounds like Bowdoin is more respected in the Art History crowd and easier to get in, as long as you have the SAT scores. Sounds like the logical choice, but I never heard of Bowdoin. I have heard of Brown. It is Ivy League, so I would go there in a heartbeat.

I do some freelance writing on the side and could spit nails for wasting my time doing that this morning. Now I am sucked into the quagmire of their anonymous and illogical editing process. I was avoiding them during NaNo, but thought I could take a "break." Waste. of. time.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
And umm, what do you think about Alex Morgan? :D I can totally talk hot gorgeous woman if you want (though Alex is more cute than hot IMO). Morgan or Solo? :)

This is where I have to insert my I hate Hope Solo comment. I really, really do. So much, that I don't often have words for it.

Congrats to everyone on revisions and getting books out and such :)

My half marathon is two days away! My husband is trying to sabotage me so I don't beat him. He keeps trying to get me to go get massages, or to run when I should be resting, or doing spin classes.

I'm going to be really excited when it's all over, though. I'm tired of stupid long runs :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Bing *cough*L3sley*cough* We're often called LESBy. (We were all girls until 2005.)

Also, Melly....CITY OF BONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a weirdo person who ships Valentine & Jocelyn together more than is probably healthy. This explains all of my ridiculous other shipping (Jason dean and...myself from Heathers, Darth Vader and...myself....Voldemort and....me) ;)

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Speaking of hot guys ...

I just discovered the actor I would love to play the male lead if my book were ever to become a movie. You know Douglas Booth? He'd need to darken his hair, but that's all good.

But I won't fangirl him since I'm old enough to be his mother ...

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking about writing a kid's book for my best friend. She's pregnant with twins and I thought it would be cool to have them as the main characters. It would be just for them--something I'd probably get shutterfly or something to print a copy of as a baby gift. Thoughts? I've used shutterfly for a photograph book before, but I don't know if they do stories. Any recommendations?

Bing: I would pick the school that would advance my career the most. The question is what do you want to do? I hate to say it, but if the programs are about equitable, then, for me, it comes down to the name. A well respected school carries a lot of weight on its own.

I've never heard of Bowdoin, people really into art may have, though. Do you want to work around only artists who would see Bowdoin on a resume and think "wow, that's impressive" or work around people without an art background who would see Brown and be impressed, but may be unaware of Bowdoin and its reputation?

That's just me and my art ignorant opinion.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Hot guys (hate 'em): Douglas Booth is sizzling. He combines the delicate features with enough masculinity. Rare. He reminds me of Zac Efron but more mannish. I use visuals (ie pics) of Vincent Kartheiser for a sidekick char in my story and one of the opening lines for him is "Besides being younger, a beard just won’t fit his long lashes, dreamy eyes, and soft jawline," the criticism of mismatch is proven wrong later in the story.

Hot sports girl candy: Alex Morgan has never struck me as hot or cute. She's, well, okay, good looking, but not special. Her role as a player pleases me more than her face. Interestingly, Abby Wambach is not hot at all, but her eyes are beautiful. When one has pretty eyes on an otherwise somehow mundane face, those eyes become the center of the universe. If cuteness is the sole criteria, I really like Marta, not hot at all, but cute on face and magical on feet.

For Team USA, the sex symbol is Hope Solo. Unfortunately she's such a me-me-me sulky bitch it's really hard to buy merchandises she's selling or even dirty fantasy without an imaginary pillowcase.

The hottest female soccer player I saw during the past WC was from France (don't remember her name). She wore pleasingly heavy make up to the matches and got her ass whipped. BUT SHE'S HOT.

The Bowdoin vs Brown question is for my MC. Her father runs a fine arts auction house (no, not Sotheyby's or Christie's) and her mother is a watercolor painter (not the famous kind). Her career choice is to become an art appraiser/auctioneer. I think I'll forgo Early Decision and let her apply to Brown, Bowdoin, Ozarks, Barnard, etc. She doesn't have top tier academics for Harvard/Yale/Dartmouth and the like. While ED should be a logical college application strategy, Bowdoin would probably be her first choice but in the end she can't go there (father's death). I'm not sure if I need to call up a college counselor to write that scene. But let me get to there first.

Stiger, that's a hell of an idea and a gift. But picture book or story book? If story book, won't the twin have to wait for a long time before they can read about themselves in their books?

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Re: Shutterfly for a storybook...just create each page as a .jpg image file. Should work just fine, right?

How is everyone? I just broke 24k words on my novel WIP last night! It's now longer than my novella, meaning it's officially the longest piece I've ever written :D

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
Bing: Thanks! I was thinking picture book--something she could read to the kiddies. I've got some artists in the family who could do illustrations. I was thinking it would be cool for the kids to be characters in their own story.

JB: That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. Although now I'm having a "duh" moment. Congrats on the word count!!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
CONGRATS!!!

:partyguy: :partyguy: :partyguy:

Thanks! And whoa, nice new avvie, lol o.0

Bing: Thanks! I was thinking picture book--something she could read to the kiddies. I've got some artists in the family who could do illustrations. I was thinking it would be cool for the kids to be characters in their own story.

JB: That's a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. Although now I'm having a "duh" moment. Congrats on the word count!!

LOL, happy to help! And thanks :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone sort of gearing up for Thanksgiving? It seems to be topic of choice on other threads here on AW.

I just can't believe it is here already. Time has passed so quickly. :/

The end of the year always makes me a little sad, because it's over. Just - over and done. *sighs*

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Bishop! Congrats on the progress on your newest book! It sounds great. Keep writing, girl!

Parump! I'd be looking forward to Thanksgiving if I didn't have to spend it sequestered in my in-laws cracker-box house in Oklahoma (one step worse than Kansas). For five days, I'll be holed up, no cable TV (I know, right?), looking at my father-in-law grimace at me, wondering what kinda' fool his daughter married.

Status
Not open for further replies.