F1 2013

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm finding it hard to get into the season this year. I think it's these big gaps early in the season - they stop the momentum. That and the comedy tyres - sort it out, Pirelli.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Which could give us a race in which no one finishes...or one of the backmarkers laps slowly enough to save their tires and wins in lonely splendor as the last car standing. They'd take it, too--it's a win no matter how it comes :D.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't impressed by today's race. It had its moments, yes, but by and large it wasn't exciting, just a long line of cars trying not to over exert their tyres.

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I thought this race was amazing. First, who would have thought Force India would get a 5th place finish? And the various drivers who really went for it. This was a pretty wild race, actually. There was a lot of over-taking and a lot of seriously crazy driving.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure the announcers *really* enjoyed it, since NBC loosened the purse strings enough to actually send them to the race. Some advantages to having it on the main NBC channel :D.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Since the BBC didn't show it live, I guess I missed out on a lot of stuff. And although those at the back of the grid had some great racing and some overtaking, the ones in the front did not.

I think the main problem I had with the race, mainly focused here on those up front, is that they weren't racing to win, they were trying not to lose. And when that is your goal as a driver, you'll never win, even if you come first.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
And although those at the back of the grid had some great racing and some overtaking, the ones in the front did not.

Adrian Sutil would like your people to call his people.

:e2tongue:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Adrian Sutil would like your people to call his people.

:e2tongue:
Well, yeah, I wouldn't say anything bad about Sutil, if I did he'd probably punch me in the face. ;)

But he did have a very good race, so well done him. Paul Di Resta also had a good race coming from 17th to finish 9th. And Kimi's last few laps were very impressive. And Perez provided some entertainment.

It wasn't a bad race, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying it wasn't great and I was disappointed with the leaders (top four). Vettel proved how fast they could've gone if they had been actually racing by posting a time two seconds a lap faster three laps from the end.

Plus, the BBC's lack of coverage when they aren't showing the live race is really pissing me off. Just because they wanted to buy the freaking Voice for £20million we can't watch half the races live and in full.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Because of our living arrangements, this is only the second race I've seen this year. Being a big fan of Nico Rosberg since he came on scene (back when neither he or Chris Klien could make it through the first lap without barrel rolling the car) I loved it.

Beautiful day at the races.

Still, Monaco, as a place, freaks me out. It's like Vegas, except without the joke part.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
No matter what complaints anyone has with the Monaco circuit (It's a lot like riding your bicycle around your living room) or the issues with exactly what kind of tires F1 specifically ordered from Pirelli... you cannot take away the fact that Nico had a fantastic weekend! Not only did the hometown boy do good... he went and accomplished what his Father did thirty years before (a first in F1 history) AND he brought the first Silver Arrow ever to the winner's block for Mercedes.

Considering the fact that no one believed he would do it... made it all that much more special. It really choked me up. By the time TK won Indy, I was balling... in a good way.

=)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
About Keke - was he there? The NBC coverage was cut off just after the trophies were presented, but there were no cutaway shots to Nico's dad. It seemed weird that he wouldn't be there. Do we know anything about this?

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I don't know, Perks. That's a good question and I wondered about it, too.

I'll admit that it was nice seeing Mercedes win. I know they've had it rough for the past few years. You cannot deny that Pirelli offering special testing sessions helped them.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It was a fun race - more exciting than the rest of the season so far put together, and that's even with the front four going for a Sunday drive instead of racing properly, which says something.

Perez is a silly boy and cost himself and the team good points by trying too hard. Sutil showed how to do sweet moves without any danger of contact when he passed Alonso and Button, and Button showed much the same thing when he passed Alonso. Perez is just a bit too fiery for his own good at the moment.

What a last lap from Kimi, though. They showed his onboard camera for that lap after the race finished on Sky, and he just sailed past everyone. Most people would be happy to get three overtakes in one race at Monte Carlo, let alone three in one lap. Absolute hero.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Since we have this gap and nothing to do... a friend of mine sent me this link to a f1 forum. It's a bit much for me, but some of you who enjoy the history and techno stuff might get a real kick out it. =)