Not open for further replies.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Etsy does allow you to sell books you have authored. I used to sell crafts on there...the customer entitlement has become a serious problem. Write a great description and proceed with caution.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I used to sell an article on eBay via file download, but they changed the rules so one isn't allowed to list downloads on the auction site. They had to go in a classifieds section. I now sell the article as a mailed hardcopy, which is a pain but allows it to stay on the main auction site.

They may have changed the rules back, since that happened a couple of years ago. But I kind of doubt it. :(

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean selling there along with selling on Amazon, Smashwords, Barnes and Noble, etc.?

etherme

Making my own luck
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eriktherme.com
I'm not selling my actual book on EBay, but I'm selling "signed" bookmarks. I expect ZERO people to buy one, but IF I get lucky enough for someone to view the auction, they will conveniently be told about the book for sale on Amazon...

LongevityLetter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not selling my actual book on EBay, but I'm selling "signed" bookmarks. I expect ZERO people to buy one, but IF I get lucky enough for someone to view the auction, they will conveniently be told about the book for sale on Amazon...

So you mean you're using Ebay for advertising only if I understood it well?

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
Customer entitlement?

Etsy does allow you to sell books you have authored. I used to sell crafts on there...the customer entitlement has become a serious problem. Write a great description and proceed with caution.

I realize you posted this awhile ago, but I'm curious as to what you meant by customer entitlement? I've thought about selling things on Etsy as well (not books, but it's an interesting idea).

Thank you if you see this and respond! Or anyone else who has some insight on this matter :)

TheaFair

Mousy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theafair.wordpress.com
Etsy is billed as a handcrafted market and customers there do expect superior products. There is not much to hold them accountable, and about one in ten transactions I think end up with a customer demanding a refund or they threaten to report/bad-review you. Several will claim problems and force you to give them their money back. An Etsy store lives or dies by it's star rating so either way the seller ends up at a loss. Also, since I've looked into this, ebooks don't do to well there. There's a lot up but few of them actually sell. I think the only thing that sells well are instructional books.

I don't see it as being a bad problem for downloads however. Neither Etsy nor Paypal will refund for digital downloads. Customers will expect you to be their tech support person if they cannot download or read the files however. I think the only downside to Etsy is that they do expect you to have your real name attached to the store. A problem if you're using pseuds.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
I have never sold novels or written works on etsy, but I used to have a vintage resale store and never had any customer problems.

Although I don't think etsy is a good platform to sell a novel on unless you are willing to work seriously hard to promote it on the site. Promotion on there takes a lot of hard work. I know it does everywhere but I was promoting every day.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Etsy is billed as a handcrafted market and customers there do expect superior products. There is not much to hold them accountable, and about one in ten transactions I think end up with a customer demanding a refund or they threaten to report/bad-review you. Several will claim problems and force you to give them their money back. An Etsy store lives or dies by it's star rating so either way the seller ends up at a loss. Also, since I've looked into this, ebooks don't do to well there. There's a lot up but few of them actually sell. I think the only thing that sells well are instructional books.

I don't see it as being a bad problem for downloads however. Neither Etsy nor Paypal will refund for digital downloads. Customers will expect you to be their tech support person if they cannot download or read the files however. I think the only downside to Etsy is that they do expect you to have your real name attached to the store. A problem if you're using pseuds.

Thanks, that was really helpful!

I was just curious about the concept, since I didn't know people sold books through Etsy. I think you're right on the How To books-- maybe a DIY book on crafts or sewing would do okay. And I can totally see customers frequently expecting tech support!

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
I have never sold novels or written works on etsy, but I used to have a vintage resale store and never had any customer problems.

Although I don't think etsy is a good platform to sell a novel on unless you are willing to work seriously hard to promote it on the site. Promotion on there takes a lot of hard work. I know it does everywhere but I was promoting every day.

Thanks! That makes sense about all the promoting, since that site has so many shops. I love going on Etsy as a customer, and will continue to be just that-- a customer :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I've bought stuff on Etsy, (both actual handmade stuff and craft supplies) and never had a cause for complaint, but it would never occur to me to buy a book there. Unless it had gorgeous covers or
illustrations, both hand-done.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I also sold on Etsy for several years (a crochet store). I was going to start selling patterns and I know they were having a lot of issues with people buying a PDF pattern on Etsy, turning around and re-selling it on Ebay or other stores like that as their own. I personally would hesitate selling any eBooks on Etsy. Actually paperbacks, fine. But not an eBook.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense, frimble3 and Dallionz: I wouldn't really buy a book on there either, come to think of it! And an ebook sounds like a bad idea.

Dallionz: That's too bad Etsy's had people reselling the work of others. It now makes sense though as to why I waited so long to see a crochet pattern posted, only to have it never happen!

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense, frimble3 and Dallionz: I wouldn't really buy a book on there either, come to think of it! And an ebook sounds like a bad idea.

Dallionz: That's too bad Etsy's had people reselling the work of others. It now makes sense though as to why I waited so long to see a crochet pattern posted, only to have it never happen!

It really is too bad! I know a lot of people on there that had stores specifically to sell their patterns closed shop because their work was found other places. It's a shame!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It really is too bad! I know a lot of people on there that had stores specifically to sell their patterns closed shop because their work was found other places. It's a shame!

I remember hearing complaints about this from people creating embroidery patterns, and that was years ago, before Etsy. People were just stealing the images off the creators' website and enlarging, apparently.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score

That is a shame! Some people have no ethics. And what they don't realize too is that they're hurting everyone, as creators stop creating.

TheaFair

Mousy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theafair.wordpress.com
I think the best stories I've heard were the people who were constantly being asked how they created a certain item they sold. There was no trick to it, a Youtube search could find the people asking some tutorials, but they asked the seller for their own reasons. The sellers instead of telling them to politely Google it put together a PDF of the process with some photos, and directed people to the tutorial which they could pay for. People could still sell the PDF off but most of the sellers I talked to didn't really care because the tutorial can be found pretty much anywhere. They just made a few bucks off of it without angering the buyer.

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
I think the best stories I've heard were the people who were constantly being asked how they created a certain item they sold. There was no trick to it, a Youtube search could find the people asking some tutorials, but they asked the seller for their own reasons. The sellers instead of telling them to politely Google it put together a PDF of the process with some photos, and directed people to the tutorial which they could pay for. People could still sell the PDF off but most of the sellers I talked to didn't really care because the tutorial can be found pretty much anywhere. They just made a few bucks off of it without angering the buyer.

Ha! That's really funny. Good for them!

Status
Not open for further replies.