Not open for further replies.

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
Hello Everyone!

I'm in the middle of writing a book about Paris and without going into too much detail, it's a very nostalgic Paris, filled with both very old and very new technology, mixed together.

The title I have in the works for it is called "The Eighth Age of Paris" and that stemmed from a Parisian history book I read a while ago called "The Seven Ages of Paris."

Since my book takes place only a few years in the future, yet something on a global scale happens in the city, I thought the name was rather fitting in more ways than one.

Am I allowed to do this? Would I have to write a disclaimer? Perhaps I can't do this for some reason?

Any help would be appreciated.

Much thanks,
Jacob S. Tucker

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
It's perfectly fine (titles can't be copyrighted). Beyond that, I think it's a great title. You might include a reference to the other book in a Foreword or something, just so the reader can make the connection.

Readable Joe

Registered
Reaction score
I know that book, written by Alistair Horne, one of the best non-fiction writers ever and he really knows his #### about France. I bought a copy of that book in the Palace of Versailles when I went over there for a holiday with my father. When we got out of the chateau and went back to the train station, I felt my shopping bag was a bit heavier than it should have been and found a t-shirt in there that shouldn't have been there.

My freaking dad swiped a t-shirt from the souvenir shop at Versailles.

I asked him why he did it and he said "listen, I bled for this country and earned that t-shirt". I laughed. My dad is a French army veteran (and a decorated one, too), so he certainly did bleed for France, but the first thing that came into my head was that the t-shirt should have read something like:

"I fought in the Algerian War and all I got was this lousy t-shirt".

Anyway, this story is neither here nor there, but mildly related to your topic. Having said that, the novel I'm working on is also set in a second-world France and I'm adopting an existing title as well. In the 1950s, W.H. Lewis (the alcoholic brother of C.S. Lewis) wrote a book about King Louis XIV called "The Splendid Century" (very good non-fiction book, by the way - he uses a very conversational tone) and I'm almost set on using "A Boy of the Splendid Age" for the title of my WIP.

So yeah, I think it's cool. Kewl, even.

Last edited:

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite novels is Connie Willis's "To Say Nothing of the Dog", which is taken from Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat" which has that as the subtitle.

Pretty sure your example is just fine.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
John Scalzi has an enjoyable book titled "The Android's Dream" playing on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by Philip K. Dick. Yes, the book involves electric sheep, kinda. Your example is perfectly fine.

JacobS.Tucker

A Wannabe F. Scott Fitzgerald
Registered
Reaction score
Website
parisandprose.com
Alright awesome! Thanks to everyone for their input. I think I'll have a foreword explaining all of that, but I'm glad that I can have the title be based off of another one :)

Jperez6

Registered
Reaction score
I'd think that, provided that the referenced title is decently well-known, a connection would actually boost reader interest. It would convey a sense of community knowledge, especially in such a specific field. Am I right?

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely mention the connection in a foreword, but I love the idea. Very creative. I'm writing a story set in Paris. It's quite a setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.