Question re: writer's resume

ShannonR.

<insert witty title here>
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a bit new here, having spent a lot of time on the screenwriting forums and working on other projects. I'm trying to draw up a writer's resume. I've done a lot of freelance work, but it was for free or low-paying sites. I'd like to get into some better and higher-paying gigs. I've found several examples of writer's resumes and I'm curious-all of them have sections for awards/honors/memberships etc. What if I don't have any of these? Am I out of luck? What "counts"?

I haven't won any awards apart from a Versatile Blogger Reward from a fellow blogger, I haven't received any honors that I know of and am not a member of any well-known groups. I've moderated forums on a spirituality site for 11 years and another for 5, but I'm not sure if that "counts" for those categories. Also, one is a "secret" board. I don't have certifications apart from my degree (Communication), and I'm not sure my Christian sorority would be appropriate since it has nothing to do with writing.

I've written training materials but don't have any online samples. Would I include these and, if so, how? I've written advice columns for an online women's magazine, but that magazine has not launched yet and, honestly, I'm not sure it will.

Also, is it "proper" to include links to our work? I'm thinking of profile pages that show everything I've written for a particular site. I've also written for eight other blogs. Is that too many? I also have a personal blog but not everything there is, um, kosher. :)

Thanks! I'm a bit "thick" sometimes.

Last edited:

WordsRWeapons

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Well, speaking for myself, I've found that a resume is great for establishing a time-line, but it is no predictor of whether or not a writer will be a good fit for my team. I look at resumes, but what I actually care about are the writing samples and cover letter.

I would put up everything that is even remotely relevant and impressive. Think of it as a checklist of things you would like to talk about to a prospective client. Make sure that each "gig" you list includes bullets regarding things a potential client will actually care about, but once its formatted and pretty, spend more time on making sure your writing samples are easy to find and that your cover letter sets you apart from the many other writers that most clients will also be considering.

Your resume is the FACTS of what make you unique, but your cover letter is the handshake. And the writing samples, that's what will decide whether or not you are worth the money they are willing to pay.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
You can include links to your work unless your contract prohibits doing so. Most places are happy for that publicity.

I would leave off anything that isn't relevant to writing or to the fields you want to freelance in. My resume is accessible from my website - debbievilardi.com. Click on about me and scroll down to find the link. I don't know if it will help, but it gives you an example to look at. I include my teaching experience and degrees because I write for the education market.

Your degree should count since writing falls under communications. Good luck.

ShannonR.

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my biggest problem is not knowing what counts as "published works". Deb, I could be wrong, but are a lot of things on your resume in printed form? Because mine are not. I'm confused as to whether online articles, a personal blog or blogs I wrote for money would "count" as being published in this day and age. Like I mentioned, I've written for several blogs and websites such as Womensforum and AllWomenStalk, but these are online only. Also, I was made an administrator on the former and was able to self-publish as opposed to going through someone else. Does this count? Does it matter whether you wrote something for pay or if you did it just for fun? What about articles for "content mills" such as Factoidz? Do those count? If they did, would I list individual posts or give the blog address in general?

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions! I'm just easily confused.
I don't have professional memberships, certifications beyond my degree, or really any writing jobs in the "real world" beyond things I did in my own time. I don't know what qualifies as "experience" or if I should even bother putting anything together.

Abderian

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're overthinking this. We're in the world of targeted resumes nowadays. Whatever job you're applying for, provide links to relevant articles you've written (no, work doesn't have to be in print form to count as published). If you're applying to be a blog, include links to blog posts. If you're applying to be a content writer, provide links to content you've written. :)

Potential employers might actually be more interested in your personal, unedited writing because this shows them the raw product they'll receive if they give you work.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've found several examples of writer's resumes and I'm curious-all of them have sections for awards/honors/memberships etc. What if I don't have any of these?
If you don't have them, you don't put them on your resume. Leave the section out. It's the same with a resume for any job.

Now, why don't you have any memberships? There are plenty of groups to belong to, writing-related or not. Any could be the hook in your resume that someone takes notice of.

Jeff

ShannonR.

Registered
Reaction score
If you don't have them, you don't put them on your resume. Leave the section out. It's the same with a resume for any job.

Now, why don't you have any memberships? There are plenty of groups to belong to, writing-related or not. Any could be the hook in your resume that someone takes notice of.

Jeff

Would LinkedIn or Meetup.com groups count? I'm also a moderator on a couple of message boards (one for over 10 years), but I thought of that more as experience.

I guess if I'm applying to publish an article about Christianity I can add my Christian sorority, Sigma Alpha Omega? I was part of the founding class. I've put it on resumes before for jobs that required organizational and promotion skills without the word "Christian" in the name, but that's another thing altogether.

I wasn't sure if leaving the space for memberships or honors blank would make the resume way too short to be taken seriously. Kind of like a "real world" resume for someone with little to no work history. Thanks, everyone.

ShannonR.

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're overthinking this. We're in the world of targeted resumes nowadays. Whatever job you're applying for, provide links to relevant articles you've written (no, work doesn't have to be in print form to count as published). If you're applying to be a blog, include links to blog posts. If you're applying to be a content writer, provide links to content you've written. :)

Potential employers might actually be more interested in your personal, unedited writing because this shows them the raw product they'll receive if they give you work.

That's what I was hoping, that my online work would count. Does it matter where the articles are (i.e. content mill, blog etc)? Content mills aren't exactly known for quality. Of course, I would include *good* articles, but seeing "Factoidz" or "Knoji" in the URL might make you wonder.

Oh, the blog is raw, alright. In fact...WordsRWeapons, if someone applying for your team includes a link to a blog post, do you look at the rest of the blog or only the post mentioned?

Also, is bad language a problem? I wasn't sure if my blog would be a good idea since there are a few posts with depressive ramblings and swearwords. It's not like I say the "f" or "s" words and make innuendos all over the place, but those are alongside some posts about Christianity, which I know can make me look like a hypocrite. At least, that's what I've been told. That was what I was concerned about when it came to Christian publications.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me babble. I'm paying attention, even if it doesn't seem like I am. ADHD sucks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes it does matter where it is--some markets will take a content mill clips as a mark against you. To be honest I never made a resume. I write a pitch and attach a short bio and my 2-3 most relevant clips.

ShannonR.

Registered
Reaction score
Yes it does matter where it is--some markets will take a content mill clips as a mark against you. To be honest I never made a resume. I write a pitch and attach a short bio and my 2-3 most relevant clips.

That's what I thought about content mills.
Who's that nice-looking man in your avatar? :)

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It seems most folks have answered the questions you asked me. Here's my take.

It's all about prestige and quality. Content mills are low on both often - though I'm certain some posts are very well written.

Do the forums add prestige? I moderate the crit section over at SCBWI. That's on my resume. It shows my membership in the organization, activeness in the writing community and perhaps indicates an ability to spot problems in work including my own.

Do look into organizations for writers. There is at least one for every genre. They aren't all that expensive. Membership means you've taken your craft seriously enough to put your money where your mouth is. Linked In groups don't count - they don't show you are in any way respected and some of them are not well moderated. It becomes like saying you're in this group that meets at a bar once a week. However, a link to your profile doesn't hurt if it's a good relevant profile. Also, make sure your posts in those groups are professional. You never know who may be reading.

My resume also mentions a writing class I took along with my degrees. These are relevant to the writing I'm doing.

Add relevance to my comment about prestige and quality. That christian sorority will matter to a christian press. If you're seeking assignments from woman's mags, the blog posts will matter. They show you know the audience and have been paid for your writing. You've worked with an editor. That's all good experience.

Last edited:

ShannonR.

Registered
Reaction score
I've also helped create policy (make new rules) and have been consulted about such on several occasions. I'm really happy to hear that a lot of things I've done will count than I thought.

(thinking out loud, I do this a lot)
I wonder if the experiences I've written about in my blog (there have been some doozies) would count on their own...or if something I submitted one of my "fan" articles as a "general" writing sample could lead to something on sites about that show...)

Last edited: