• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown Group Ltd. (UK) / Curtis Brown Creative

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I queried the new writer's team 5 days ago and today received their newsletter, advertising creative writing courses. I'm wondering if that means "it's a rejection, go learn how to write!" :Shrug:

The courses look interesting but very, very dear, for me anyway.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I queried the new writer's team 5 days ago and today received their newsletter, advertising creative writing courses. I'm wondering if that means "it's a rejection, go learn how to write!" :Shrug:

The courses look interesting but very, very dear, for me anyway.

Definitely not a rejection, just the spam we're all grumbling about. Prepare to see many more... and many more...

It looks like the 'unsubscribe' button worked for me, eventually, but it took a few days to go through. Or maybe Rufus Coppertop's e-mail made them sit up and take notice. :)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Oh. I haven't unsubscribed to the newsletter as I don't mind getting it - at the moment anyway. If it's an occasional e-mail, that's fine.

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Curtis Brown Group, Ltd. of London (formerly Regal Literary)

They're a bit different than other agencies I've been researching because they're both a school and literary agency. They're also different in that the only way to send a query/synopsis/"sample material" is through their online form.

Now this is the first time I'm querying, so I'm no expert, but a red flag is popping up in my head and I'd like to know what others think.

I've done the research:
No complaints on P & E.
No complaints on here or QT.
Here's the website: http://www.curtisbrowncreative.co.uk/
(You can click the blog from there. They are getting novels published.)

Is form-submission-only a thing? And, if it is, what in the world is "sample material?" If I wanted to pick a scene from the middle of the novel I can? Sounds fun, but I don't want to seem unprofessional.

Anyone work with them in this way? (I don't know it Regal Literary worked that way, so any info on them doesn't help much.)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know where you get a connection to Regal Literary, but Curtis Brown are one of the top literary agencies in London. As for what to send them, the std package for UK agencies is the first 3 chapters, synopsis and cover letter.

Last edited:

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't know where you get a connection to Regal Literary, but Curtis Brown are one of the top literary agencies in London. As for what to send them, the std package for UK agencies is the first 3 chapters, synopsis and cover letter.
That's not how to send according to their site. And where did I get my info about the connection to Regal? Both on QT and AQ.

I am glad to hear they're one of the tops in London. Truthfully, I think I have a slightly better shot at finding a agent willing to take my story on in the UK than in the US.

I really did check out this site too, before asking. I didn't find anything in the search about this agency on here. But my question was added to this thread afterward, so, I'm guessing I didn't search well enough. :e2shrug:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I really did check out this site too, before asking. I didn't find anything in the search about this agency on here. But my question was added to this thread afterward, so, I'm guessing I didn't search well enough. :e2shrug:

The Index to Agents, Publishers and Others contains an alphabetical list of threads for various agencies etc. Questions about a specific agency get folded into that agency's thread for organisational purposes. :)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely send the opening of my novel, not a section from the middle. :)

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Curtis Brown Creative is a part of Curtis Brown, but is not the main agency. As Waylander and Parametric have said, CB is very good.

Have a gander at the main site: http://www.curtisbrown.co.uk/
Oh! Thanks! That looks more typical of an agency.

Albeit, they have a definite WOW factor. Nothing like including Nobel and Pulitzer as awards received to take notice.
:Jaw:

I also found out the three Curtis-Brown's across the globe were the same, but have since separated. http://www.curtisbrown.com/about/

I thought I couldn't get any more impressed than Winston Churchill and C.S. Lewis as past clients, until I hit the biggest name in literary history! A.A. Milne! Whoa!

(Does it help to know my novel is about stuffed animals too? :e2bear:)

Dang! I think I just found my new dream agent!

- - - Updated - - -

I would definitely send the opening of my novel, not a section from the middle. :)
Yeah, and stick with their literary agency, instead of their school.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, and stick with their literary agency, instead of their school.

The submission form there, although it seems to be part of the school, is for their literary agency. Curtis Brown Creative is the same as Curtis Brown, with the two sites separating out the (arguable) dichotomy of the publishing process.