• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Institute for Writers (formerly Long Ridge Writers Group / Writer's Institute, Inc.)

Shadowfox13

Registered
Reaction score
I had a good instructor

I loved working with my instructor, but due to other personal circumstances wound up dropping off. I think part of my problem is the story ideas that pop into my head tend to be for longer stories, not short stories. I seem to have a more difficult time doing short.

BoppaKrandall

Registered
Reaction score
The hard truth about Long Ridge Writers Group

LRWG is not a scam. Their course is for real, and what you get for your money is all the materials, plus a personal instructor, who is a professional in the field. They also guarantee that, if you complete the course, as instructed, you will have completed (if I remember correctly) 2 salable pieces of writing as well - a non-fiction article and a fiction short story. The reason some disgruntled people think they are a scam, is that they do not make any guarantee that those 2 pieces will actually get published. Long Ridge is a writing school that can teach people how to write like professionals, and how to approach the business of marketing their work. But taking their course doesn't automatically guarantee anybody's success as a professional writer. So the "hard truth" about Long Ridge is that, whether you take their course or not, it's still up to you as to how hard you'll work at "breaking into print", and whether you can persevere long enough to make it as a professional freelance writer. If you're looking for a short-cut in the writing business, don't waste your time or money on the Long Ridge course.