Western YA?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I've seen some calls for YA Westerns recently. I hate to say that I am not exactly at liberty to say from where, BUT I think they're gaining in popularity. Or are about to. Just my $.02!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if Jane Smileys YA horse books would qualify. Probably not, but maybe a little.

We're starting to see movies with westerns themes, but they seem to have blended genres. Keep in mind that some Space Operas are modeled on westerns too. Star Trek was. And didn't Han Solo shoot someone in a western saloon?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if Jane Smileys YA horse books would qualify. Probably not, but maybe a little.

We're starting to see movies with westerns themes, but they seem to have blended genres. Keep in mind that some Space Operas are modeled on westerns too. Star Trek was. And didn't Han Solo shoot someone in a western saloon?

Star Trek? Don't you mean Star Wars? Somehow I can't Trek as a "western". Can you say, 'bias much'? Lol

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Star Trek was absolutely pitched as a western in space. After all, they were exploring the final frontier.

Star Wars was more fantasy in space (wizards, princesses, pirates, farm boy turned hero). But there were some western elements, such as the Cantina.

Of course, Firefly/Serenity took the space opera = western in space to an extreme.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Star Trek was absolutely pitched as a western in space. After all, they were exploring the final frontier.

Star Wars was more fantasy in space (wizards, princesses, pirates, farm boy turned hero). But there were some western elements, such as the Cantina.

Of course, Firefly/Serenity took the space opera = western in space to an extreme.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw a documentary on the early Star Trek series saying that they added in more of the fight scenes to make it appeal more to the audience who enjoyed westerns.

As a side note, I remember one guy talking at a convention panel saying that he hadn't had an interest in Firefly until someone told him that it was basically a Space Western.

I guess now he's a big fan.

And yes... as for Star Wars, it does have it's western moments, especially when involving bounty hunters and cantinas. :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think western shows were pretty big at the time the original Star Trek came out, so that makes sense to me.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I recall reading that Star Trek was pitched as 'Wagon Train to the Stars'. 'Wagon Train' being a popular Western TV series at the time: the recurring cast of characters, running a wagon train heading west, dealt with different people and problems ever week.

And, why wouldn't 'The Journey West' make an excellent format for a YA trilogy? Show the MC's life back East, let the reader grasp what she's giving up/hopes to gain because the family needs/wants to leave. Then the trip, adjusting to changes, meeting people, perhaps types of people she would never have mixed with in her old life. Then, the new home, seeing new sights, learning new skills. Settling in.

So many variations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I recall reading that Star Trek was pitched as 'Wagon Train to the Stars'. 'Wagon Train' being a popular Western TV series at the time: the recurring cast of characters, running a wagon train heading west, dealt with different people and problems ever week.

And, why wouldn't 'The Journey West' make an excellent format for a YA trilogy? Show the MC's life back East, let the reader grasp what she's giving up/hopes to gain because the family needs/wants to leave. Then the trip, adjusting to changes, meeting people, perhaps types of people she would never have mixed with in her old life. Then, the new home, seeing new sights, learning new skills. Settling in.

So many variations.

This is my understanding of the history, as well.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I've seen some calls for YA Westerns recently. I hate to say that I am not exactly at liberty to say from where, BUT I think they're gaining in popularity. Or are about to. Just my $.02!

Hmm! Interesting. If none of us can think of a title, then I'd have to say it is an untapped market and something that would be er "new" I guess.

Star Trek was on during a lot of westerns. I'd say Star Wars has elements of a western too, along with everything else. But, I'm more of a SW fan.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm! Interesting. If none of us can think of a title, then I'd have to say it is an untapped market and something that would be er "new" I guess.

Star Trek was on during a lot of westerns. I'd say Star Wars has elements of a western too, along with everything else. But, I'm more of a SW fan.

It is an untapped market as of now. Wait a year or so and see how many come out! lol

bethrodgersauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Western YA novels sound cool. I really like the idea. I'll have to check out what's available already in that respect. I've read a lot of historical and contemporary romances outside of the YA genre, and most are set in the west. It's a neat feel that "the west" gives off. Thanks for the idea - I'm looking forward to checking more into this!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Star Trek? Don't you mean Star Wars? Somehow I can't Trek as a "western". Can you say, 'bias much'? Lol

Thanks to everyone for supporting my statement. Star Trek was pitched as Wagon Train to the Stars. Star Wars has an occasional western style element.

I do think the market is ripe for this genre, but there may be dozens of books in the works. I hope what you write is on the cusp of the new trend and doesn't end up past it. This is why writing to trends and predicting them is so hard.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a Western now. Not because I think its a trend or will be but because I'm having a fun time with this novel. Its gritty, its real and I'm not holding back any punches. Its great. A guilty pleasure perhaps...