Award nominations

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting list this year - some usual suspects but a good mix of the sub-genres within SF and F. I'll be interested to see who wins it as there are no obvious front runners.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'd bet on Bacigalupi myself. He's a favourite of the Nebula voters - he won the Nebula for Best Novel last year with The Windup Girl and he's on the Nebula novella shortlist this year as he has been in the past. Also, Ship Breaker won the Printz Award this year.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
The shortlist for the Arthur C Clarke Award for best science fiction book has been announced and it includes a YA novel (MONSTERS OF MEN by Patrick Ness). The full list of nomiees are:

- ZOO CITY by Lauren Beukes
- THE DERVISH HOUSE by Ian McDonald
- MONSTERS OF MEN by Patrick Ness
- GENEROISTY by Richard Powers
- DECLARE by Tim Powers
- LIGHTBORN by Tricia Sullivan.

The award winner will be announced on 27th April and the winner gets a cheque for £2,011.

Not sure if this is the first time a YA specific SF novel has made the shortlist for the Arthur C Clarke but I thought it was an interesting development.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the first time a YA specific SF novel has made the shortlist for the Arthur C Clarke but I thought it was an interesting development.

MM

As far as I know, the only previous YA novel to make the Clarke shortlist was Stephen Baxter's The H-Bomb Girl in 2008.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Carnegie Medal shortlist. For some reason there are only six titles this year instead of the usual eight. In alphabetical order by author, and the age recommendations are those of the judges.

Theresa Breslin, Prisoner of the Inquisition (12+)
Geraldine McCaughrean, The Death Defying Pepper Roux (10+)
Patrick Ness, Monsters of Men (14+)
Meg Rosoff, The Bride's Farewell (12+)
Marcus Sedgwick, White Crow (12+)
Jason Wallace, Out of Shadows (14+)

I've read three of these (Ness, Rosoff, Wallace) and of those my pick would be the Wallace, which has already won the Costa Prize earlier this year.

The award ceremony will be on 23 June.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy:

Ship Breaker, Paolo Bacigalupi (Little, Brown)
White Cat, Holly Black (McElderry)
Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Press; Scholastic UK)
Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword, Barry Deutsch (Amulet)
The Boy from Ilysies, Pearl North (Tor Teen)
I Shall Wear Midnight, Terry Pratchett (Gollancz; Harper)
A Conspiracy of Kings, Megan Whalen Turner (Greenwillow)
Behemoth, Scott Westerfeld (Simon Pulse; Simon & Schuster UK)

To be awarded along with the Nebula Awards on 21 May.

And the winner is Terry Pratchett.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Branford Boase Award shortllist, for best UK YA/MG debut novel:

J.P. Buxton, I am the Blade (edited by Beverly Birch; published by Hachette)
Keren David, When I Was Joe (edited by Maurice Lyon, published by Frances Lincoln)
Candy Gourlay, Tall Story (edited by Bella Pearson, published by David Fickling Books)
Gregory Hughes, Unhooking the Moon (edited by Roisin Heycock, published by Quercus)
Jason Wallace, Out of Shadows (edited by Charlie Shepperd, published by Andersen Press)
Pat Walsh, The Crowfield Curse (edited by Imogen Cooper, published by Chicken House)

The winner will be announced at an award ceremony on 6 July.

Of the above, I've read two: those by Candy Gourlay and Jason Wallace.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Guardian Children's Fiction Prize longlist. As before, age recommendations are those of the judges.

David Almond, My Name is Mina (9+)
Lissa Evans, Small Change for Stuart (8+)
Frances Hardinge, Twilight Robbery (11+)
Sacci Lloyd, Momentum (12+)
Simon Mason, Moon Pie (10+)
Andy Mulligan, Return to Ribblestrop (10+)
Annabel Pitcher, My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece (10+)
Andy Stanton (illustrated by David Tazzyman), Mr Gum and the Secret Hideout (7+)

Introduction to the longlist and brief comments on each book by chair of judges Julia Eccleshare here. The other judges are last year's winner Michelle Paver, Julia Golding and Marcus Sedgwick.

Last year it was commented that there were more MG than YA titles on the longlist, after several years where YA had dominated - this is even more so this year. I've yet to read any of them.

Also noticeable is that there are no overlaps with this year's Carnegie and Branford Boase or Waterstone's shortlists. (However, two of last year's Guardian longlist are on this year's Carnegie shortlist and another from last year is on this year's Branford Boase shortlist.)

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Carnegie Medal shortlist. For some reason there are only six titles this year instead of the usual eight. In alphabetical order by author, and the age recommendations are those of the judges.

Theresa Breslin, Prisoner of the Inquisition (12+)
Geraldine McCaughrean, The Death Defying Pepper Roux (10+)
Patrick Ness, Monsters of Men (14+)
Meg Rosoff, The Bride's Farewell (12+)
Marcus Sedgwick, White Crow (12+)
Jason Wallace, Out of Shadows (14+)

And the winner is Patrick Ness with Monsters of Men. The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer were both previously Carnegie-nominated. This is the first time that all volumes of a series have been so nominated.

Helped by the fact that there were only six nominees and that I've read three of them before the list was announced, this was the first year that I've read the entire shortlist before the award was announced. Though only just - I finished the last one (White Crow) this morning!

It's worth mentioning that there are a lot of historical/period settings there. The only one with a contemporary setting is the Sedgwick, though about a third of it is set in 1798. All the others have past-time settings, ranging from 1980s Zimbabwe (the Wallace) to 15th Century Spain (the Breslin). This does make the Ness stand out by being set on another planet...

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Well done Patrick Ness - richly deserved. A monumental achievement to be nominated for all three novels in a trilogy.

His speech was brilliant, too, look it up.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Branford Boase Award shortllist, for best UK YA/MG debut novel:

J.P. Buxton, I am the Blade (edited by Beverly Birch; published by Hachette)
Keren David, When I Was Joe (edited by Maurice Lyon, published by Frances Lincoln)
Candy Gourlay, Tall Story (edited by Bella Pearson, published by David Fickling Books)
Gregory Hughes, Unhooking the Moon (edited by Roisin Heycock, published by Quercus)
Jason Wallace, Out of Shadows (edited by Charlie Shepperd, published by Andersen Press)
Pat Walsh, The Crowfield Curse (edited by Imogen Cooper, published by Chicken House)

I'm late in posting this, but the winner is Out of Shadows. It's an excellent novel which also won the Costa Book Award.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Guardian Children's Fiction Prize shortlist. The winner will be announced on 10 November. In alphabetical order by author, and age recommendations are those of the judges.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
The shortlists have gone up for the Galaxy Book of the Year Awards and the nominees in the Children's Book of the Year category are:

Children's Book of the Year
A Monster Calls Patrick Ness (Walker Books)
Dead Man’s Cove Lauren St John (Orion)
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece Annabel Pitcher (Indigo)
One Dog and His Boy Eva Ibbotson (Marion Lloyd Books)
Stuck Oliver Jeffers (Harper Collins Children’s Books)
The Highway Rat Julia Donaldson illus. Axel Scheffler (Alison Green Books)

To me that looks like a very tight competition. Patrick Ness and Annabel Pitcher's books were two of my favourite reads this year, but the critics raved about the late Eve Ibbotson's last work and Julia Donaldson is a perenniel critics' favourite. I'll be interested to see who wins.

The winners will be revealed on 4th November.

MM

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
It's just been announced that A MONSTER CALLS by Patrick Ness won Children's Book of the Year in the Galaxy Book Awards. Very well deserved IMO - it's the best children's book I've read this year.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Guardian Children's Fiction Prize shortlist. The winner will be announced on 10 November. In alphabetical order by author, and age recommendations are those of the judges.

And the winner is Andy Mulligan.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm quite surprised about that actually because the reviews for MY NAME IS MINA were such raves that I figured Almond would be a shoe-in (not least because he won it for SKELLIG, which MINA is a companion to).

The Bookseller reported that sales for RETURN TO RIBBLESTROP hadn't been great (3,500) so hopefully the award will give it a boost. Many congratulations to Andy Mulligan.

MM

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
The shortlist for the Costa Children's Book Award has been announced:

- FLIP by Martyn Bedford

- THE UNFORGOTTEN COAT by Frank Cottrell Boyce

- SMALL CHANGE FOR STUART by Lissa Evans

- BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young.

Personally, I'm amazed that Annabel Pitcher's MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE wasn't on the shortlist.

Of the books on the shortlist, I've only read BLOOD RED ROAD and while I know it's got its fans here on the YA Forums, it really didn't do it for me.

Winners will be announced on 4th January 2012.

The Costa Book of the Year will be announced on 24th January 2012.

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score

- FLIP by Martyn Bedford

Personally, I'm amazed that Annabel Pitcher's MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE wasn't on the shortlist.

Of the books on the shortlist, I've only read BLOOD RED ROAD and while I know it's got its fans here on the YA Forums, it really didn't do it for me.

Winners will be announced on 4th January 2012.

The Costa Book of the Year will be announced on 24th January 2012.

MM

I haven't read any of those, so I await the result with interest.

Last year, I picked up Out of Shadows after it won the Costa, and it was one of the best YA novels I read in 2010. (Of last year's shortlist, I've since read Flyaway but not the other two.)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Momento Mori:

- FLIP by Martyn Bedford

Yesterday it was announced that the winner of the Costa Children's Book Award was BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young. She received a £5,000 prize and goes through to be considered for the Costa Book of the Year, which will be announced on 24th January (and the winner of which gets a further £30,000 prize).

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday it was announced that the winner of the Costa Children's Book Award was BLOOD RED ROAD by Moira Young. She received a £5,000 prize and goes through to be considered for the Costa Book of the Year, which will be announced on 24th January (and the winner of which gets a further £30,000 prize).

MM

I've placed a reservation for Blood Red Road at the library - there are a few in the queue ahead of me, so it will probably be a few months before I read it.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Nominees for the Andre Norton Award for a Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy Book:

Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson
Chime by Franny Billingsley
The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (UK title: Fire and Thorns)
The Boy at the End of the World by Greg van Eekhout
Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King
Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
The Freedom Maze by Delia Sherman
Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

To be awarded at the SFWA Nebula Awards weekend, 17-20 May in Arlington VA.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
The UK Literacy Association has just announced its shortlisted books. It operates a number of categories - fiction for 3 - 6 year olds, fiction for 7 - 11 year olds and fiction for 12-16 year olds, which has the following shortlist:

- Long Lankin by Lindsay Barraclough

- iBoy by Kevin Brooks

- Being Billy by Phil Earle

- Trash by Andy Mulligan

- A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

- Half Brother by Kenneth Oppel.

Interesting that in a genre/market group that's usually dominated by female writers, this year's shortlist is dominated by the men.

I've read Phil Earle's book (which is excellent), Kevin Brooks (which is okay but I'm surprised it hit the shortlist) and Patrick Ness's (which has been nominated for tonnes of awards already and I'll be surprised if it doesn't win this one).

MM

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Carnegie Medal shortlist, in alphabetical order by author. As before, the age recommendations are those of the judges. The winner will be announced at a ceremony on 14 June.

Lissa Evans, Small Change for Stuart (8+)
Sonya Hartnett, The Midnight Zoo (9+)
Ali Lewis, Everybody Jam (12+)
Andy Mulligan, Trash (12+)
Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls (9+)
Annabel Pitcher, My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece (10+)
Ruta Sepetys, Between Shades of Gray (12+)

The shortlist is back up to eight books this year. I've read just one of them (the Patrick Ness) so will have a lot of reading to do in the next few months. As the press release points out, this is a shortlist that skews much more towards MG and lower YA than recent ones have done. Also, four of the eight are debut novels.

So it's off to the library for me now. Just taken out of there was this year's Costa winner, Moira Young's Blood Red Road, which didn't make the Carnegie list, so I will have that to read soon as well.

ETA: All now reserved except the Ruta Sepetys, which is not available in Hampshire libraries for some reason, or at least not yet.

Last edited: