YA books being made into films

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Jenny Downham's Before I Die has been filmed as Now is Good, with Dakota Fanning in the lead role. It comes out in the UK on 21 September.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm beyond excited for TMI movies! BEYOND. EXCITED. I like who they've casted so far except for Jace :( Which is REALLY disappointing since he's one of my favorite male MC/LI ever. (And don't even start on me about him 'cause I don't want to hear it. He's my guilty little fictional pleasure, okay people?!?) I'm hoping the guy playing him (forgot his name) can suck me in with his acting/portrayal of the character. We shall see. But I'm super stoked to see the ass-kicking Isabelle! :D

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter 7 needed two movies or it would have been 5 hours long.

Mockingjay does NOT need two movies. I hate that book. If they cut out all the whining, they could easily rally the movie down to 2 hours. Grr.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter 7 needed two movies or it would have been 5 hours long.

Mockingjay does NOT need two movies. I hate that book. If they cut out all the whining, they could easily rally the movie down to 2 hours. Grr.

Yup, I think it made sense for Harry Potter, but not for Breaking Dawn and certainly not this.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, anybody if know if they kept the book's ending for the Perks of Being a Wallflower movie? Because a lot of people are gonna be unpleasantly shocked. It looks like a happy fun movie about a lovable loser for an 11 yr old kid to go to, and it has Hermione in it, but the book's ending is just about the opposite of the tone of the trailer, and not really appropriate for the movie's intended audience. I'm so curious!

Another one:

A film adaptation of FAT KID RULES THE WORLD by K. L. Going comes out this year and it's currently touring on the Vans Warped Tour (makes me even more sad that Warped isn't coming to my city this year!). It's and indie film directed by Matthew Lillard, who fell in love with the story when he recorded the audiobook version. I can't freaking wait to see it.

I freaking love that book! And I love Matthew Lillard too! :tongue

frankie say relax

Relaxing :)
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome thread idea.

Well, DIVERGENT is to begin filming by the end of the year. Kind of premature and there's no casting yet... but still cool. The book was entertaining (not SUPER-AMAZING, imo), but I think it will make a fun movie.

Agreed. I liked the series, but I wouldn't say the writing was ah-maze-ing. There is good action in it though. I think it could make great movies. I'm pretty excited about it actually. I hope they cast soon so I cane be judgey about the choices. I dream casted :)

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
It kind of bugs me that Cassandra Clare has so much success when she's never to my knowledge acknowledged being a plagiarist back when she wrote fan fiction, but hey, whatever, right?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There are some options and sales in Publishers Marketplace.

• Alyson Noel's FATED, ECHO, MYSTIC, HORIZON, in The Soul Seeker book series, to Arnold Rifkin, producer and founder of Cheyenne Enterprises
  • Chelsea Fine's ARCHERS OF AVALON Series, starting with ANEW, optioned to Tapestry Films (WEDDING CRASHERS)
  • Martha Brockenbrough's debut DEVINE INTERVENTION optioned to Zucker Productions (Airplane, Naked Gun, Ghost) with screenwriter Randi Singer (Mrs. Doubtfire) adapting
  • Libba Bray's forthcoming THE DIVINERS to Paramount

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
It kind of bugs me that Cassandra Clare has so much success when she's never to my knowledge acknowledged being a plagiarist back when she wrote fan fiction, but hey, whatever, right?

Yeah man, the universe is indifferent so--

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
There are some options and sales in Publishers Marketplace.

• Alyson Noel's FATED, ECHO, MYSTIC, HORIZON, in The Soul Seeker book series, to Arnold Rifkin, producer and founder of Cheyenne Enterprises
  • Chelsea Fine's ARCHERS OF AVALON Series, starting with ANEW, optioned to Tapestry Films (WEDDING CRASHERS)
  • Martha Brockenbrough's debut DEVINE INTERVENTION optioned to Zucker Productions (Airplane, Naked Gun, Ghost) with screenwriter Randi Singer (Mrs. Doubtfire) adapting
  • Libba Bray's forthcoming THE DIVINERS to Paramount

Thanks for those! I don't have a PW membership, so I'm always out of the loop.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
The one I'm dying to see is HOW I LIVE NOW. Filming has commenced (in Wales :heart:) and Meg's latest update is here.

More Saoirse in THE HOST, which isn't strictly YA, but as it's Stephenie Meyer it's likely to overlap with the Twilight demographic.

THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO is at script stage, as far as I know. ZOMG AWESOME.

Haven't read it yet, but MISS PEREGRINES HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN appears to be in production. Jane Goldman (who adapted Stardust) is scripting and there are rumours that Tim Burton may be directing (but these might be out of date).

Other titles that have been optioned that I'm praying make it into production are THE SCORPIO RACES and DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE.

Ridley Scott's production company picked up the film rights to BLOOD RED ROAD when book rights were initially sold, but I don't know if there have been any developments.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Omg, I just watched Nina LaCour's video about the Hold Still movie, and wow... the cast looks exactly like I pictured them. It's actually really freaky.

And then I pledged $100 on Kickstarter and zomg the reward is that my name gets to be used in Nina's next book ahhhhhhh!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Haven't read it yet, but MISS PEREGRINES HOME FOR PECULIAR CHILDREN appears to be in production. Jane Goldman (who adapted Stardust) is scripting and there are rumours that Tim Burton may be directing (but these might be out of date).

I've been meaning to read this one. Maybe beating the movie version will motivate me!

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
The one I'm dying to see is HOW I LIVE NOW. Filming has commenced (in Wales :heart:) and Meg's latest update is here.

Oooooh! I wonder how Saoirse Ronan's American accent is (I haven't seen The Lovely Bones.) If it's Gerard Butler of Jason Statham bad, it might break the movie for me. Still, this was the book that got me into YA. Can't wait to see it.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I've been meaning to read this one. Maybe beating the movie version will motivate me!

It was pretty good. Not what I was expecting, though.

So, anybody if know if they kept the book's ending for the Perks of Being a Wallflower movie? Because a lot of people are gonna be unpleasantly shocked. It looks like a happy fun movie about a lovable loser for an 11 yr old kid to go to, and it has Hermione in it, but the book's ending is just about the opposite of the tone of the trailer, and not really appropriate for the movie's intended audience. I'm so curious!

I haven't heard, but I do know it's not going to be intended for younger kids. They had a hard time with their rating. I think it started as rated "R" and they had to go back and cut some things to get it down to "PG." That's what I read on Perez Hilton (I know, guilty pleasure :e2paperba) so I don't know how accurate it is.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was pretty good. Not what I was expecting, though.

I haven't heard, but I do know it's not going to be intended for younger kids. They had a hard time with their rating. I think it started as rated "R" and they had to go back and cut some things to get it down to "PG." That's what I read on Perez Hilton (I know, guilty pleasure :e2paperba) so I don't know how accurate it is.

The trailer seems super appealing for the 11-13 yr old set, but the book is more appropriate/readable by 14+. It's got Hermione in it for goodness sake! And lots of happy music, and dorky teenagers turning cool and discovering the secrets of mature teenager life. I could see them leaving out the whole "why is the MC an extremely damaged person" bit at the end.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
The trailer seems super appealing for the 11-13 yr old set, but the book is more appropriate/readable by 14+. It's got Hermione in it for goodness sake! And lots of happy music, and dorky teenagers turning cool and discovering the secrets of mature teenager life. I could see them leaving out the whole "why is the MC an extremely damaged person" bit at the end.

I think that's just the marketing. I followed the filming pretty closely and I think I recall Nina saying that it was surprisingly dark at points. And it actually didn't get downgraded to PG, but to PG-13.

If anyone wants to read details about the movie from someone who attended the screening, you can do that here. Lots of spoilers, obviously, but only if you haven't read the book. She talks about what they left in and what they took out.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Are we also including lists of YA books with film rights purchased and *probable* movies? There are a ton right now, but I only remember a few off the top of my head:

- LEGEND (I feel like this one already has a director or producer? Not sure where I read that, though, but it would make an awesome movie.)
- THE NIGHT CIRCUS (AW's own!)
- UNDER THE NEVER SKY
- THE DUFF (I think?? Also AW's own!)
- WITHER

...And a few more, I'm sure. Any others?

Yeasayer

see you on a dark night
Registered
Reaction score
Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You (Peter Cameron) is done but I don't know if it has been released yet...? I have been trying to get my hands on it for awhile now because it's one of my favorite books.

The Spectacular Now (Tim Tharp) is in pre-production with Shailene Woodley attached to star.

Charlie Kaufman (writer of the flawless Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) is writing the screenplay for the first book in the Chaos Walking trilogy. This one could be Oscar-caliber IMO.

A Sweet Valley script is being written by Diablo Cody, who I love. I have high hopes.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
OMG - Someday this pain... is going to be made into a movie?! How did I not know that?

(As for Cassie Clare plagarizing - I still love the first 3 books. They're my guilty pleasure books that I read as 'fanfic' because, yes, I know where they came from. I liken them as my 'beach' reads - silly and funny and interesting but not a lot whole lot of thought or introspective.)

ETA L3g3nd by Marie Lu is being made into a game!! The trailer is here--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwYyg2Ym3o8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: