What are you writing? (YA)

portugueseninja

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, these all sound so inventive!! I love hearing what people are writing about :)

My WIP is a light sci-fi/parapsychological/pre-dystopian YA about teenagers who live in a world where many of the population have 'supernatural' powers (telekinesis, clairvoyance etc). By law, they have to attend a special high school that teaches them a normal curriculum in addition to how to use their abilities. The story starts with them beginning life at this high school and the friendship among the main group of characters.

So far, throughout history, there's been a peace and acceptance between those with ("parapsychs") and without the abilities ("laterals"). But there's a bad guy lurkin', and he's determined to shake things up a little.

And I didn't set out to write an LGBT novel but I think my MC might be a lesbian.

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
This has been fun for me to read, too. :)

After working on a YA fantasy for a long time, I've given it a rest and am still finishing up my NaNo novel. (I won NaNoWriMo, but will definitely need a bit more than my current 52k to finish out the story.) I'm taking a shot at writing a YA contemporary romance between a girl and boy that become unwitting best friends when the girls' other friends suddenly cut her out. Um--it's less of a drama fest than it sounds, I promise. I'm not a big fan of drama. :)

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting Unearthly and The Hotel Kincaid, it looks like. Seer revisions shall have to hold until after the New Year (which is in two days so nothing to worry about there).

Last edited:

BelleCeline

Registered
Reaction score
You lot inspire me. I have a sort of writing ADD, in which I can be distracted by most anything. For example, I will be writing a scene and be unable to think of the word I want. So begins an hour's long journey. I guess that's off topic, but the point is that I just have so many ideas I want to write, and they all fight for my attention. I did mention in a previous post that I wanted to go dark for my next project, so I'm playing around with an idea for a fantasy about a group of young guys who were sent to our world as punishment for their crimes. In order to stay alive, they must each make a sacrifice every year, and the punishment was meant to be eternal, until they meet someone who may just have a way of getting them home. I don't have much, but it's new and that always excites me. I do my best writing when I am excited!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I am currently writing three projects. And my agent is toe-tapping awaiting one of them. But I can't not novel-surf. I write in one, then the other, then the other. ARGH! Stressing, actually. Here's the three...

1. THE BOOK OF YOUR DREAMS - Young Adult Horror about a boy who wanders into a bookstore, picks the one golden colourful book in the whole store...only to have the ancient bookseller try to convince him NOT to take it. Once he does take it, though, his world is altered forever. He loses time, he discovers the bookstore doesn't really exist, he discovers the bookseller was a murderer a hundred years ago and that he was killed by a mob of angry town-folk, he moves in and out of the past and he reads his dreams past, present and future on the pages of the book that nobody else can even see.

2. ALIVE & KICKING - I have a book coming out Jan 19th called HALF DEAD & FULLY BROKEN. Alive & Kicking is book 2. It's about a teen who can communicate with the dead. In Half Dead, it's his friendly twin brother that he deals with. In Alive & Kicking, it gets darker...it's an acquaintance from high school who died in a car accident and wants revenge.

3. THAT'S ME IN THE CORNER - Three best friends--the main character, his true love girlfriend and his gay bestie. They all go to Africa together...they face friendship, love, bullying and bigotry...both at home before the big trip and abroad in Kenya.

That's all three. And I am 3/4 finished all of them...and my life is in chaos while I steam ahead! lol. (-:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of one novel that follows a girl who ends up at an incredibly haunted boarding school.

In the near future I'll be starting up another horror novel that involves a group of people who have to follow some very specific directions to escape a Winchester mansion-esque house. I feel like that's not the best description, but I'm only in the barest outlining stage right now, so there isn't actually a ton to say.

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
The 5th book in the series of myths and legends (romantic thriller - with a tentative title "The Book of Turns,") where the first (Ribbons of Death) one is about to come out form Solstice Publishing. And I'm stuck at this point in time. I'm half-finished and don't know what route to take next. I'm waiting for that inspiration hammer to fall down on my head. Waiting...and dreading it at the same time.

Edita A Petrick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editapetrick.biz
Same happens to me. What I do is plug in ANY word that comes close or doesn't even have to come close, just a barely appropriate word, I hi-light it in some bright color (fuchsia works for me - it's hideously bright) and move on. That way, I have no excuse to procrastinate and go searching for anything which is procrastinating. Then later on, when I've slept on it for a while, I will go back and guess what, the right word will be on the tip of your tongue. Try it. Edita

Callegro

Registered
Reaction score
The greatest thing about threads like this is that it shows just how much creativity there is out there!

Basic premise: a girl finds out she's a succubus, a police detective is turned into werewolf and a warlock in training are all forced to take on a challenge that all magical creatures endure within the first year of their quickening, with failure resulting in death.

I want to do it George R. Martin style, one chapter per character, alternating, with their paths finally colliding, leading to the climax. Somehow I have to wrangle those story lines together and bring it full circle to the prologue where we see the future succubus character enjoys killing people.

Isobel Lindley

writing as Eleanor Beresford
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.eberesford.com
Mermaids and Misadventures, third in my series.

Taking one of my favourite boarding school story tropes "Gifted girl needs to shine in order to convince her cruel family to fund her artistic education", and adding a sapphic love triangle, a POV character who is fairly ruthless in executing her own plans, and mermaids.

BelleCeline

Registered
Reaction score
That is a very good idea, Edita. I will have to try that. When editing, I will highlight my last read line so I know where to start, but never thought about using that as a place holder. I'm with you, Callegro. Part of the reason I made this thread was because I was bummed with the lack of variety at the bookstore. I mean, there's a bunch, of course, but I think it was all the rip offs of recent trends that did it in for me. Like how there's a whole romance section with books of the same stylistic cover, so that it practically screams I WANTED TO WRITE FIFTY SHADES OF GREY FIRST! All the responses on this thread have really just been fueling my faith in writers all over the world.

Last edited:

IdrisG

Registered
Reaction score
I really like this post, so I'm bringing it back. What's everyone writing?

I've just started a YA short story for a contest on WattPad. I'm really excited about it. It involves greaser girls, complete with leather jackets, muscles cars, and gelled hair, which is just the biggest win there is.

Seer has been on the backburner for months. I feel really bad about it, but I also feel ready to tackle it again. If I'm going to get it out for submission by summer, I'd better.

I've also tentatively plotted another WIP called Punk & Mozart, about two very different guys who meet at university, fall in love, fall apart, and solve crime between classes. Could be fun.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I've returned to my almost epic fantasy. Agents either object to it not being medieval or it being in present tense so I'm trying it in third person past tense. I'm not sure about making it medieval instead of contemporary though.

AmandaHelms

Pumpkin cookies
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandahelms.com
Post-apocalyptic with robots (I call them biodroids--idea is that they're "grown" synthetically in order to better emulate hormonal feedback loops and thus experience emotions--but they're still programmed/programmable).

However, the biodroids weren't the cause of the apocalypse. I'm still finalizing my worldbuilding, but right now I'm leaning toward massive volcanic explosions and subsequent global cooling.

There is a kidnapped little brother and also a "modded" biodroid with six-foot spider legs. I am enjoying myself. :)

Olga

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I am supposedly finishing an adult epic fantasy, but this one little WIP just won't shut up. It is a YA story about a girl, who, in attempt to save her little brother from being kidnapped, ends up in the Thrice Tenth Kingdom. It is heavily influenced by Russian folklore, and so far turns out to be very dark.

lemonziest

Honey, You've Got a Big Storm Comin
Registered
Reaction score
It is heavily influenced by Russian folklore, and so far turns out to be very dark.

I'm immediately interested in stories that are influenced by culture/folklore that isn't Western-European.

My current WIP is a fantasy set in a country based on medieval Mongolia, featuring a genderqueer MC and the dreaded "Chosen One/Ultimate Evil" trope. (Though of course the trope won't be as straightforward as it seems.)

IdrisG

Registered
Reaction score
A sort of second world historical fantasy in which the human vessels of various deities rule mortal kingdoms based on famed dynasties from earth.

Also working on a YA LGBT paranormal romance that's got a Tell-Tale Heart deal going on.

Last edited:

aliensglitter

the dog is a girl named Alfie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a couple things! There's a lighthearted-but-also-not summer romance thing, my first ever real magical realism which is about these two brothers who get separated in a parallel universe type thing, and then my tragic baby about mental illness that's really hard to describe.

LittleKiwi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on two projects:

1: Star Wars meets Gladiator with a smart arse protagonist who desperately wants to escape the mining colony she calls home to become an exoplanetary zoologist.

2. A YA fantasy featuring a princess, a thief and a bodyguard set in a world heavily influenced by the British colonisation of New Zealand and the mythology of the NZ Maori.

I love them both but I'm not sure either will ever make it off my hard drive.

Makeshift Bubbles

ᕕ(ツ)ᕗ
Registered
Reaction score
The WIP I've been working on since November has two protagonists, who are both cousins and royalty. My MMC, the prince, is trying to pull the kingdom together from under his father's nose. My FMC was shipwrecked on the way to a foreign land to marry a stranger, and now has to navigate through a land of her enemies. And restore magic to the world along the way. :)

SamKraft

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a series, but not in the traditional book #1, book #2, ect. Way. My first book is about a girl named Alice, who is forced to take the crown as Witch and Wizard queen, even though she doesn't want to. My next WIP is about a young werewolf in 1920s Germany. Seems like a jump, but my main character Felken was friends with Alice's father.
Every character is connected in some way. You won't even realize it until you read the next one.

BelleCeline

Registered
Reaction score
Olga, I am so very intrigued! I love DARK lately. And Makeshift Bubbles, that sounds FUN! I want to read the one about the female greasers too, IdrisG. I mentioned when I started the thread that I wanted to go dark, and I had an idea. It has...mutated. :D So far I am not very developed in my world building, but I have a protagonist who was meant as a boarding school sacrifice, but who magically survives. And I have the boys who tried to sacrifice her trying desperately to figure out what went wrong and how to save their asses. I still don't know much about it...the characters just pop up and tell me who they are and what they have to say. I do know that there is an alternate world far different from our own, which is where they meant to sacrifice her, and in order to keep her from finding them out, the boys mess with her mind a lot, to where she thinks she is going nuts. I think it's in the vein of Mara Dyer, though I've only read the first in that series, so who's to say? Either way, it has kind of possessed me, and I love it!