How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keythsea

Unrepentant Hack
Registered
Reaction score
OK -- in the novel that I am working on, I have a mute character that communicates through hand signs. To my credit, I am using ASL -- but my question is how much detail would be good? I have a lot of *character signs* "Other character responds with a re-cap of what was said". Sometimes, I describe the signs the main character makes (if it's one or two signs).

Is this a good balance between lampshading and bludgeoning the reader over the head?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Since you read sf, we're in luck. Run over to amazon or wherever and find a used copy of Stephen Boyett's The Architect of Sleep. (which I love, despite its being only half a novel, really). In it, the MC goes through a interdimensional rift and ends up in an alternate earth where raccoons have achieved sentience and people haven't. They only use sign--no verbal speech at all. The whole novel after he goes through is in sign (plus his thoughts), and it includes chapters where he's learning the language. He nailed it. It's there, but it's invisible when it needs to be.

Mostly, you just have the signer saying stuff normally, if the POV understands it.

Status
Not open for further replies.