Creating characters that you love

Status
Not open for further replies.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
I've come across an issue lately in my WIP. Up to this point, the majority of my writing has been fan fiction and I've realized that one of the draws to fan fic I had was being able to write characters that I love. The problem is that I haven't quite been able to create a character in my own works that I love to the same extent (however I have done some online roleplaying and have created some great characters there).

Does anyone have any tips/ideas about how to improve this? The latest thing I've been doing is actually going through TVTropes' characters as devices list and finding what tropes I consider the WIP's core cast to fit and seeing if that helps at all (I haven't really had a chance to do this too in depth though so I don't know if it will be successful or not).

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I don't love my characters--"like" is about as far as I can go, and "understand" seems more important. But I'm always a proponent of studying good models and analyzing in depth, and then taking that new understanding back to your own writing. When I love writer X's characters, I tear the writing to shreds to try and find where s/he made me love. There, in that thought? In this action? In the dialog? It's there, on the page, and part of my job is to discover the how of the craft, take it in, and make it automatic in my own work.

The pleasures of reading are different than the pleasures of writing. (Who said that? Someone, but I can't find the quote.) It's like the difference between eating a lovely piece of strawberry pie and being a farmer who breeds varieties of strawberries, looking for just the right pie berry.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
The pleasures of reading are different than the pleasures of writing. (Who said that? Someone, but I can't find the quote.) It's like the difference between eating a lovely piece of strawberry pie and being a farmer who breeds varieties of strawberries, looking for just the right pie berry.

I heard it described as the difference between having sex and raising a child.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with lorna_w, I don't love my characters.

But I see it as: They are apart of me and I can't love myself in a inter-personal way. I can like them, but loving them is a bit far.

Since characters are apart of us, we need to connect them to the reader. It's a stronger connection of reader and character because they don't reflect themselves, but another person to the reader.

Tips:
- Focus on creating characters who are real. That if someone asked them a question, they could answer it.
- Don't think of them as "characters" as much as real people who have yet to seen the light of day.
- All characters have weaknesses, even in their greatest strengths.
- Create several definitive characters, leave the rest as major characters. You only need 2-3 main characters to keep a reader on track.
- My best tip: Let the characters live. My best characters always decided their path--against my orders. Let them do what they wish and just allow them to.

Hope this helps.

DarthPanda

All hopped up on goofballs.
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful with relying too heavily on TVtropes... it can be a huge help with finding certain things that "work" together, but keep in mind that the whole point of the site is to collect, well, tropes. Things that have been done so many times that they've become a recognizable pattern. You don't want all your characters to fall TOO neatly into a stereotype.

Try to draw more from your RPG experience. Sooo many fantastic authors were once avid D&D players, and are quick to tell people how much the experience helped their writing. Some (like China Mieville, who kicks a ridiculous amount of ass, imho) even go on to have their own work turned into RPGs.

And keep in mind that you don't have to love all your characters. Sometimes, for a story to work, you need characters who may not live up to your ideals. It's like... I dunno, setting up your friend on a date. The kind of person YOU would love, may not be compatible with your friend. You have to find somebody that works for that particular person. When you put a story together, you have to do what works for the story.

Also, you're looking at your characters from the inside. You made them, you live with them all day, you know their hidden agendas and dirty pasts... you're immune to their charms by now. When you read someone else's stories, you're spared that process and it makes their characters more appealing.

You ever have a girl tell you how sexy and cool your little brother is? You know how you just can't see it no matter how hard you try?

I think most writers experience a sort of Westermarck Effect with their characters after a point. Lord I know I do.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
I totally get this. As someone who used to write (and probably always will dabble in here and there) fan fiction, with characters that you already love and know in a universe you already love and know, it's hard to create characters and a universe that you'll love too. I totally get it. It's difficult to transition into original fic, with characters and universes you have to pull them into existence all by yourself. But I find that trying to craft a character I like doesn't work. Instead, I take a character who I know almost nothing about save the bare bones and throw them into a situation, and then I follow them around as they struggle to get out of that situation and try to overcome obstacles to get what they want. Characters reveal themselves to you as they struggle with obstacles to achieve what they want.

Maybe you'll start to love the character as you follow them around, maybe you won't, but often I find that when my characters start doing things I didn't expect and revealing to me things about them that I wasn't aware of consciously--that's when I start to love them, and that's when they start to stand up by themselves and live. It really isn't easy to transition from fan fic to original fic, huh? :D

(Yes, I am a panster all the way. Or, as I prefer to call it, a discovery writer.)

Last edited:

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is that I haven't quite been able to create a character in my own works that I love to the same extent

Start with real people that you do like. Change their names, occupations, appearance, even their gender, but have them behave and react as that person would. Sometimes making a composite of two people into one character works too.

As you write, the character should come alive in your head, so that sometimes it seems that they're telling you their story and they're not just cardboard cutouts that you push around on a tabletop.

It takes time to create and believe in a character, and it's even harder to leave them behind when you move on to other works.

Stringer Greenbrier

Registered
Reaction score
About a year ago I found myself watching television shows and reading books concerning eccentric, difficult to understand characters. Even now, long after I remember the storylines to do with the characters, I could probably write lengthy essays on their conflicting personalities; their issues with their moral compasses; their reason for being. Out of every story I've ever experienced, there are only a few characters who spring to mind from most of the tales but for same tales, an entire array of people jump out in my head. They're memorable - I'm drawn to them.

This thread has lead me to consider the characters I used to write about myself. When I was younger, I wrote about various friends' animals. I suppose I liked the mystery surrounding them as they couldn't talk. They couldn't confuse me. But just like any human, I liked them most because I could build up my ideal version of them in my head and they could never do anything to disprove it. Then I moved onto a story about people and the main character was pretty much me, except with slightly more bravado and recklessness. Back then I was fairly self-obsessed.

Now, starting work on planning my novel... Every character I've built is directly inspired by my personal favourite characters, whether I came across them in real life or in other creative works. I don't mean to say I'm stealing the characters' personalities and using them under a new name, I mean I'm taking the idea of my favourite characters and using that to make my characters more memorable. To make them more thought-provoking and interesting. The best way I can think of conveying this is the movie Pulp Fiction: what made that movie good enough to develop its own cult following and be critically acclaimed? This question is technically subjective because there's a lot of things that make it universally appealing but the one thing I always think of is the characters: they're damn interesting. None of them are ordinary at all. They're larger than life. And whether I liked them or not (I hated about fifty per cent of the cast), I know well that I cared about what happened to them.

Characters don't have to be likeable. They just have to be interesting enough to pique people's attention. Maybe to a lot of people being interesting and being likeable are the same thing but I don't think it is. How many of your favourite characters do you love to contemplate about in-depth to yourself? How many of them, if they were real life people, would you like to end up having a drink with some day?

It's not about liking or even loving your characters. It's about being able to develop characters that are interesting and add to the story.

Obviously there is that mental thing where you're not going to write about a character you don't like. Would anyone write about a villain if they personally didn't like him? Why, when I was stuck in some rites-of-passage limbo writing Pokemon fan fiction, did I only use my favourite Pokemon and favourite Pokemon characters? We naturally want to write about personalities that are appealing to us. But I've realised something after finding myself in a position of conflict regarding my favourite characters: being interesting is more important than being likeable.

Reading back on this I'm not sure if I conveyed my message correctly. What I'm trying to say is you can like the idea of a character but you don't have to like the character. Just like we romanticise the idea of Heath Ledger's Joker but when it comes down to it, he's a mass murdering psychopath. You can't like that but you can be interested by it. I guess the reason we're drawn to characters like that; repulsive, conflicting characters, is because it's fun to try and empathise with them.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
One thing that has worked for me is to identify similar characters that I really like in 2 or 3 fandoms. Then compare the characters to see what is the same and what is different, use the core (archetype) to create my own character around. Sometimes what makes the character appealing is not just the character's personality and looks, but their social situation or their backstory or both.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I totally love my characters. Well, aside from the ones I despise. I don't mean that in an "I'd want them" sort of way, but I do love them and enjoy going through their stories and seeing how things happen with them.

The more I get to know them and understand them and empathize with them, the more attached I become. It might just be a matter of time and figuring out who they are. I think you should really know your characters inside and out. If you're having a hard time crafting a character in general, though you could try looking at the characters you do like and trying to decide what elements of those characters you like.

Are they funny? Loyal? Brave? Pick one of those things and try to work it into your character.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry so much about loving your character, at least a person. Of course make sure s/he has depth, and conflict, and is relateable in some way or another, but don't stress the whole "likeability" factor. I have no idea where this idea came from that there is a correlation between good protagonists and likeability. Some of the most compelling characters in literary history have been bad, even despicable people. Look at Holden Caulfield! People love him. And at the same time, could you ever imagine meeting him? You'd want to slap him in the face after a few moments of enduring his whineyness. Look at Humbert from Lolita. Despicable person. Great, compelling character. Every character Jonathan Franzen has ever written? Anyways, I guess my point has been made by now. I don't know, whenever I hear people talking about a book and saying that it was "good, but (insert MC hear) was totally unlikeable)", I become totally bewildered.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
The writer loving their characters doesn't always work out so well for the reader. I got the impression in one of Pratchett's books that he really loved Carrot, which created--perhaps ironically--a distancing effect. You have to leave room for the reader's emotions.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Start with real people that you do like. Change their names, occupations, appearance, even their gender, but have them behave and react as that person would. Sometimes making a composite of two people into one character works too.

As you write, the character should come alive in your head, so that sometimes it seems that they're telling you their story and they're not just cardboard cutouts that you push around on a tabletop.

It takes time to create and believe in a character, and it's even harder to leave them behind when you move on to other works.

This. All of this. Take a character from a work that you like and dump him into your own world. Changes some things around, and voila. A whole new character.

The only thing that you have to be careful with is that you don't end up with a Fifty Shades of Grey on your hands. The book evolved out of a Twilight fan fiction. She alter the names — Edward to Christian and Bella to whatever her name is — and gave it an mommy-erotic plot (Til this day I still don't understand how she didn't get sued).

But you get my point. The character will hopefully evolve into someone original, but you'll still love him/her.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
The writer loving their characters doesn't always work out so well for the reader. I got the impression in one of Pratchett's books that he really loved Carrot, which created--perhaps ironically--a distancing effect. You have to leave room for the reader's emotions.

That's what I've read too, that Carrot was the one he conceived of as the hero, but the much more flawed and damaged Vimes just completely stole the show - and the reader's affections. I like Carrot, but I love Vimes. :LilLove:

As for how to create them - I'm not sure it's something that happens consciously. You either do or you don't. I have some that I love. And they never leave me alone. Even after I'm done telling their story they hang around in my head, often in little scenes of domestic bliss after they got their happy ever after in their story. They want me to write what we ex and current fanficcers know as "curtain fic". I try to resist the call.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, because it can be a disadvantage. It can be hard to do bad things to them if you love them so much. Not just in the sense of bad things happening to them - personally the more I love a character the more likely they are to suffer. Where I can have a problems is making them do bad things. I don't mean totally evil things, but everyone can make mistakes or be weak, or do things out of fear, or obstinacy whatever. Gotta be done of course. The reader definitely won't love a character who's perfect and never puts a foot wrong.

rynthewin

Plotting Princess
Registered
Reaction score
As a fanfic writer, I completely understand where you're coming from. I'd compare writing fanfiction about an already established character versus making your own in an original story to trying to befriend an adult versus a kid. The already established character has experienced growth, plot, and several drafts on the part of the author. Your character is a child that still needs to grow--you may love them or not, but you get to watch them grow and develop. It's love as well, but just in a different way.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
Thanks for all the advice! I definitely am glad to know I'm not alone in not loving my own original characters (and I definitely agree that it is often a bad thing when you can tell that an author loves one character over the rest of the cast). I'll definitely be bookmarking this thread when I get home and referring back to it as I continue work on the novel.

As for looking at tropes, I'm mainly trying to get some inspiration from seeing other characters like the ones I'm creating and figuring out what I like about them and what I would want different. Also, I really don't think tropes are a bad thing or at least certainly not all of them are. But I do want to use them AND bring something new to the table.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
This. All of this. Take a character from a work that you like and dump him into your own world. Changes some things around, and voila. A whole new character.

The only thing that you have to be careful with is that you don't end up with a Fifty Shades of Grey on your hands. The book evolved out of a Twilight fan fiction. She alter the names — Edward to Christian and Bella to whatever her name is — and gave it an mommy-erotic plot (Til this day I still don't understand how she didn't get sued).

But you get my point. The character will hopefully evolve into someone original, but you'll still love him/her.

This right here! Begin with what you know. Branch out from there... your characters should come alive as you do so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.