Third Person Book, First Person Title?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I know titles don't matter very much, and I know nothing is 100% forbidden. Still, is it a bad idea to (for example) title my novel/novella something like I'm Here Because I'm Crazy when it's entirely in third person? What about second person (You're Here Because You're Crazy)? Do potential agents, publishers, etc, give a rat's ass whether a title matches the POV of the work?

toomanycarbs

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that POV of a title would matter.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
You're Here Because You're Crazy

Wouldn't that be 2nd person? :tongue

It doesn't matter at all. But be willing to change the title if traditional publishers ask for it, or others say it's not good enough. Who knows?

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know the final title isn't my decision. Just got antsy about whether submitting something under a nonmatching title would cripple it.

Phew. I need to stop making mountains out of molehills.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know how it would affect your chances with agents and publishers. It might surprise readers, though. Some readers prefer either first or third person. By titling it in the first person, you might lose readers who don't care as much for first person. They do exist.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it. Titles can always be changed.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I know titles don't matter very much, and I know nothing is 100% forbidden. Still, is it a bad idea to (for example) title my novel/novella something like I'm Here Because I'm Crazy when it's entirely in third person? What about second person (You're Here Because You're Crazy)? Do potential agents, publishers, etc, give a rat's ass whether a title matches the POV of the work?

Your work will sell based on its merit. If the publisher hates the title, they'll ask for a new title, or come up with one on their own. Either way, your novel still sells.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I think it can be really interesting when the title and POV don't match, an interesting level of ambiguity. Mine's called After You've Gone and is in third person. A) that title is from a popular song of the period but more importantly, B), it leaves open to interpretation who it refers to, which I think is fascinating. Same with your example-- I'm Here Because I'm Crazy could tread open-to-interpretation terrain, and I think those are the best titles.

(and, well, yeah, they could change it. Or mine. I hope they don't!)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not only will an agent and/or publisher change your title if it's a problem, but I also think that having a first-person title and a third-person book is not an issue :) Also I like that title.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I'll second what the consensus seems to be. I really wouldn't think it matters. Besides, I really like the sound of I'm Here Because I'm Crazy.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know titles don't matter very much...

Titles matter. Quite a bit. At least after publication.

Still, is it a bad idea to (for example) title my novel/novella something like I'm Here Because I'm Crazy when it's entirely in third person? What about second person (You're Here Because You're Crazy)? Do potential agents, publishers, etc, give a rat's ass whether a title matches the POV of the work?

There's a song title "We're all here because we aren't all there" that comes to mind. But your first-person POV works fine for a title. Especially if it's a quote from a character.

I don't know that working titles ever are an issue. Publisher's may suggest a more marketable title, or a change to a title because it's already a popular one. I doubt most publishers would like a book title of "Jason Bourne" or "Fifty Shades" this week, but you might get a pass on one titled "Othello."

Just remember, a title that's memorable is always better than a title that's accurate. :)

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.