Mama Jude's Pep Talk

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think time is my enemy more than engagement at the moment. I'd be in the November thread complaining I've only done a few lines on my new novel before I knew it...

If time is the enemy I have a solution...Let's kill Time!:evil

:e2chain: :sword :troll :flamethrower

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Your a true MTSer Muse.

Wish me luck on this whole plagiarism thing. Spent hours doing a very organized chart/table of side-by-side text that took away from NaNo time. I sent it to the Volunteer Attorneys for the arts who are going to take a look at it.

It is quite distracting while I'm trying to do NaNoWriMo, which by the way for sure will be a trunked novel. :) I'm doing it mainly to mess around with 1st person.

I can't seem to concentrate on my edits for the book in my siggy with the other stuff going on. Kills me this guy is selling so many of his book. Also kills me not to publicly lambaste this guy, BUT sadly, I'm too professional for that. Not sure what the other two authors he pilfered from are going to do. The whole thing is a bit depressing when I keep trying to move forward.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry, History. :( That just sucks.

I suppose if we publicly lambasted him that would be as bad, huh?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
*HUGS*

This is awful, History. I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted out. I'm just sick that someone thought it was acceptable to steal like that in the first place. :(

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to the above, History. So sorry to hear someone is taking a free ride on your work.

P.S. I think you live not too far from me here in WNY. I'm in Allegany County, if you're interested. Otherwise, disregard.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
You're just south of me onuilmar. Maybe one of these days we can hook up for coffee. :)

Thanks guys. I started a thread for it here. Not just to vent but I figured it might be helpful to other writers to see the process of something like this as it happens, so to speak.

It's not just the writing part that irritates me, it's the research. I took my co-author and I five years to research. I had access to records because I'm a gov't appointed historian he wouldn't be able to get his hands on, hence impossible for him to write about things like the inquest in 1857. There would be no other place for him to get that other then our book.

So for him to just about copy/paste for his chapter and isn't he the cats meow for telling such a bizarre story, and the books are selling off the shelves etc etc. Sigh. We still sell ours too so I look at it as money out of our pockets. Honestly, I don't think much is going to come from going after him, but it doesn't hurt to try.

When we originally published through Morris Publishing they required it on zip disks. I don't have a computer with a zip drive any more so I gave them to the tech guys at work. If they can't retrieve the info I'll have to retype it. The plan is to upload the PDF to createspace for hard copy and do it up for the kindle too and promote the shit out of it as the original unplagiarized version of the "woman who poisoned her family" (title of his chapter)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If time is the enemy I have a solution...Let's kill Time!:evil

:e2chain: :sword :troll :flamethrower

:roll:

I think Procrastination as stolen it.

We can kill Procrastination when we've finished making that coffee...

... caught up on the Sunday papers

... played with the cat

... ignored enough emails

... read through every post on our favorite AW threads

... and then we can help kill the reputation of HS's plagiarist. :D

Okay. I'm good to go.

:D

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're just south of me onuilmar. Maybe one of these days we can hook up for coffee. :)

Thanks guys. I started a thread for it here. Not just to vent but I figured it might be helpful to other writers to see the process of something like this as it happens, so to speak.

It's not just the writing part that irritates me, it's the research. I took my co-author and I five years to research. I had access to records because I'm a gov't appointed historian he wouldn't be able to get his hands on, hence impossible for him to write about things like the inquest in 1857. There would be no other place for him to get that other then our book.

So for him to just about copy/paste for his chapter and isn't he the cats meow for telling such a bizarre story, and the books are selling off the shelves etc etc. Sigh. We still sell ours too so I look at it as money out of our pockets. Honestly, I don't think much is going to come from going after him, but it doesn't hurt to try.

When we originally published through Morris Publishing they required it on zip disks. I don't have a computer with a zip drive any more so I gave them to the tech guys at work. If they can't retrieve the info I'll have to retype it. The plan is to upload the PDF to createspace for hard copy and do it up for the kindle too and promote the shit out of it as the original unplagiarized version of the "woman who poisoned her family" (title of his chapter)

What a horrible thing to have happened, History.:Hug2: I know you might not get much for going after him, but you can't let him get away with it.

:roll:

I think Procrastination as stolen it.

We can kill Procrastination when we've finished making that coffee...

... caught up on the Sunday papers

... played with the cat

... ignored enough emails

... read through every post on our favorite AW threads

... and then we can help kill the reputation of HS's plagiarist. :D

Okay. I'm good to go.

:D

Oooh, my two favourite things, procrastination and killings. :yessmiley

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score

That would be nice. Just zip me a pm whenever you're interested.

And Muse: If you kill time, I think you have the nugget for a great story. Then ALL you have to do is develop the plot. :D

And just think, it could be written as either a mystery or a thriller. Just think of the possibilities.

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I seem to remember a twilight zone episode like that. Guy always needed more time. Found a watch that could stop time when ever he wanted to. The only thing that was moving was him, every one else was still--then he dropped the watch.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
While everyone was still?

::waits with bated breath::

(Or baited? That one always confused me.)

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
The watch broke, the monkey got choked and they all went to heaven in a little row boat.
Wait that's not the right ending.......

The watch broke so the guy was all alone, you know, cause time stopped..no one else was moving. sigh... frozen in time. Oh never mind. :gone:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I remember the Simpsons Halloween riff on that one, HS. :)

You know you're an MTS writer when you come up with thriller ideas going through airport security. Especially when those ideas involve explosives disguised as aspirin, and poison hidden in eye drops... :D

We're safe from those FBI watch lists here, right?

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score

You know you're an MTS writer when you come up with thriller ideas going through airport security. Especially when those ideas involve explosives disguised as aspirin, and poison hidden in eye drops... :D

So long as you're not coming to the good old US of A, I would think.

Hmm, explosives disguised as aspirin. I can see it now: it's in the next best seller! And just think, fiction does not require citations (so long as one does not plagiarize).

Now that's a tuffy: where's the line between lifting a nebulous idea and plagiarizing? 'Eye of the beholder' would lead to severe differences between **er and **ee. (Too lazy to type it all out.) :D

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And Muse: If you kill time, I think you have the nugget for a great story. Then ALL you have to do is develop the plot. :D

And just think, it could be written as either a mystery or a thriller. Just think of the possibilities.

But then I'd have to kill the plot. Yes, I am in killing form. I know!:idea: Let's form a :mob

There's a list? Is it like Santa's list? Do I have to be naughty or nice to get on it?:evil

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Now that's a tuffy: where's the line between lifting a nebulous idea and plagiarizing? 'Eye of the beholder' would lead to severe differences between **er and **ee. (Too lazy to type it all out.) :D

Eh, you're welcome to it :). I had some interesting ideas about how someone might kill people with those things, and in all probability you'd come up with very different things.

I have about a dozen "proper" story ideas vying for my attention anyway, so random nuggets are definitely up for grabs!

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, you're welcome to it :). I had some interesting ideas about how someone might kill people with those things, and in all probability you'd come up with very different things.

I have about a dozen "proper" story ideas vying for my attention anyway, so random nuggets are definitely up for grabs!

Those with ideas always think ideas are cheap and those without ideas steal. :D

Srsly, had that done to me in grad school, by a prof no less.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
But then I'd have to kill the plot. Yes, I am in killing form. I know!:idea: Let's form a :mob

Love the pitchfork gang. (And yes, I am seeing the theme in your posts.)

Have no idea how to make all the emoticons. I'm still at the smiley :) , cheesy smile :D stage myself.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Love the pitchfork gang. (And yes, I am seeing the theme in your posts.)

Have no idea how to make all the emoticons. I'm still at the smiley :) , cheesy smile :D stage myself.

Muse is all kinds of awesome like that. :)

Go here for lots of smilies. And then practice on us!

:pinata