The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
As of today, I have officially beaten my 2011 record number of stories out in Submission Land:
20 then, 23 now :yessmiley.
Next goal: 30, which I'm gonna go ahead and hope to hit by April (a mix of new stories, finished/revised old 'dusted off' stories, and adapted stories).

Ok, so that was back in February.

April stats: 12 submissions, no new stories written (although a few began/worked on), 23 stories out in Sub Land, 4 up for sale on Amazon so 27 total stories "out there" from flash to novella length.
Could've made it to 28 but never got back to editing one story still in its rough draft.

May goal: to hit 30 (for real this time :D).

ETA- Welcome back Brenda. :) And welcome newbies!

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not doing so great on this :Shrug:

I've written a story a month but not polished or subbed them. Disappointing.

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not doing so great on this :Shrug:

I've written a story a month but not polished or subbed them. Disappointing.

You're doing great--I wish I was consistently finishing at least one a month!
The clay can always be formed later, and that's usually the easiest part for me. :eek:

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Alright, I think I can get back on track this month. April was spent writing on my novels. Got one of them finished so I can now turn back to some shorts. Gonna go for a new short sub every two weeks. Got my fingers crossed. Now if I could get my toes to cross, maybe I would have better luck.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement Tenci.

I'm not sure I've been going long enough yet to claim consistency. I guess I ought to get started on May's story! :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Well, here's an interesting turn of events for anyone working with Sam's Dot/White Cat: Jane Doe. It explains that there was more to recent delays than just the takeover of new publishers.

Also wanted to share some lighter info: The editorial intro in the new issue of Emerald Sky by TM states pretty specifically what type of stories they are looking for beyond just avoiding graphic sex or violence.
"—but behind all that, these are stories about people. Heroic, desperate, clever, or loyal—but all good people. And in the end, that’s what I want the stories in this magazine to be about: good people doing the right things in difficult circumstances. Stories should be poignant, engaging, and well-written. But if they’re not in a measure inspiring, then we as publishers and editors haven’t done the job we ought to do." Brett Peterson

bpreslar

Working title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bradpreslar.com
Missed a week working on re-writes. Think I'm going to have to get a week ahead on my stuff, I hate sending stuff out without asking anyone else to read it, but writing, posting, editing and submitting within a week is tight for me.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
for anyone working with Sam's Dot/White Cat: Jane Doe. It explains that there was more to recent delays than just the takeover of new publishers.

Thanks for this Eliza - I have something in one of White Cat's queues and had noticed that responses had stopped for some time.

Also - good point about that TM editorial. It does make their needs much clearer.

And bpreslar: many people can't fit all that in a week. Plus it can depend on the length of your story. Lots of people do monthly W1S1.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Eliza. I feel a large amount of ick now, but I'm glad I'm informed.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Got a novella in this week. I think I will have a short in as well. I'm on a roll. lol

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
Got a novella in this week. I think I will have a short in as well. I'm on a roll. lol

Good job. I'm very impatient with my writing these days...can't seem to get anything finished despite all the time I put in.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Got the short in last week. Final editing another novella tonight and tomorrow, then it is being submitted. And if I have time, I will get a short story out as well. lol But the short story might not happen.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Got the novella in. Short is due tomorrow. I am spent though. I don't think I am making it. lol

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the explanation, Eliza. It makes me feel sick, but now I potentially understand why they never responded to my name change email and why I'm on the cover under my maiden name!

I switched over to Nomadic Delirium Press when they moved The Martian Wave, The Fifth Dimension and Spaceports & Spidersilk.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Been so busy with querying the longer stuff, I've let the short story side slide a bit.

Currently reworking a novelette into a novella. Subbed the vampire short to Strange Horizons today because I can't figure out if Apex is open or not. (Realized it had been a while since I really focused on Strange Horizons because I found myself wondering how long they've paid eight cents a word. And then wondering if I'd just forgotten they pay eight cents a word.)

Aggy, brain is full

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Got the short in that I didn't think I would get in. Yay me. I'm dedicated like that. :)

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
If date of payment isn't spelled out in a contract how long have folks waited and how have you approached the query? I'm just approaching 30-days post publication with no contact.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Personally, I wait a week after publication and then query, mentioning the fact that I'm not sure of the payment terms. 30-days post publication is pretty common though so a less-impatient person would probably wait for another week before asking the question.

Tienci

Registered
Reaction score
May update, June goals

April stats: 12 submissions, no new stories written (although a few began/worked on), 23 stories out in Sub Land, 4 up for sale on Amazon so 27 total stories "out there" from flash to novella length.
Could've made it to 28 but never got back to editing one story still in its rough draft.

May goal: to hit 30 (for real this time :D).

Gah! Some stories down, waiting for revisions resulting in a drop for May: 25 stories out (between Sub Land and Amazon).

I ended up working on--and finishing--a novel and getting that out instead, so there's that! :)

I did write two new stories in May (both flash again)--one for NPR's Three-Minute Fiction, and one when I woke up one morning--came out of nowhere.

For June I'll try to work on the short stories early and get them out, then go to the next novel or novella project.

Should I revise all my sitting stories and submit them this month, I'll hit that goal of 30 stories "out there" (flash to novella length).

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I entered the NPR contest, too. I think it is a really fun thing they are doing.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Need to get a novelette and a short out this month. I can do this. lol AGAIN. Started a new novel as well. I think if I ever bleed again, I will bleed words. Dark, red words. Ya know?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I haven't been writing to submit, as it's all been about the collection the last few months. But now it's out, I'm back to writing shorts to submit. Yay!

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Need to get a novelette and a short out this month. I can do this. lol AGAIN. Started a new novel as well. I think if I ever bleed again, I will bleed words. Dark, red words. Ya know?

Hmm...I may try W1S1 your way. I currently do the weekly shorts, but I fear that's a bit much for me. One short and one longer piece a month sounds a little more manageable.

articshark

shoes are like crack
Registered
Reaction score
Niccolo- I always have a full length novel going. To that I try to do a short, 1500-7500 words, per month and a longer piece, 7500-25K, per month. The novel I don't worry about a per month thing, just as long as I am writing everyday. I tried to do a smaller piece per week and I did it for the month of April, but I was burnt by the end of the month. Two smaller pieces every other week is very doable even with the word count I like to keep up for my novels. I have a rhythm going now. lol

Last edited: