How simple/mundane can a plot be, before it bores you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance

Registered
Reaction score
In terms of plot, sometimes simplicity can be pulled off if the characters are compelling enough. Complex plots can be mind-numbing and off-putting if it's hard to follow.

It's all about the execution I think. As long as the writer knows what they're doing, readers connect with characters and there's interesting conflict to follow, I don't think it really matters.

Simple or complex, there must be something there that evokes the reader's feelings and imagination to want to read more.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
You know, I really like books/movies that are, what I call, "about nothing".

I really like Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (the movie, never read the book) and not much happens in my estimation. Some friends run around New York trying to find a band and some cool shit happens along the way.

Or books like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (which I've only read just very recently and can't believe I haven't before!!!). Yeah, the Earth gets decimated to make way for a galactic freeway (lol), but after that it's more or less just a joyride through the galaxy and again, some cool shit happens along the way.

I seem to like stuff like that (books and movies that are "about nothing") because I can relate. I can be take-charge to a very small extent, but for the most part, I feel like stuff happens to me and I react. Besides, these kind of books and stuff are usually more relaxed in pace. Some books that are heavy on action feel very breakneck to me and like I can't ever catch my breath. Sometimes that's a good thing and sometimes not.

But yeah, the point is - there are people that like slower-paced, plot-light books...

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I always thought cricket was croquet :/ Growing up, I was all, ''look at those silly people, pronouncing croquet wrong.'' My parents let it go on for years.

Ha! This is especially entertaining as I thought "Mac-uh-bray" and "muh-cawb" were two different words for years and no one ever bothered to tell me mac-uh-bray was incorrect. How silly I must have seemed, using words that were too big for me. :)

dennis7490

Registered
Reaction score
Plot is important. That being said, there are plenty of novels out there that are full of plot and are totally boring, because their characters are boring. Make me love the hero, or the villain...or hate the villain, hopefully both and you can get away with a lot less plot. I can't count the number of thrillers I've read and almost thumbed through the pages going from plot point to plot point, and when it was all over I had no idea what I had read. About a year ago i picked up THE PARIS WIFE, read it, and haven't forgotten it. It was not a plot driven book, but a character driven book. I also read the DRAGON TATTOO trilogy, which is very plot heavy, but has terrific characters, and almost cried when i head that Larson had died, and that was the end of those characters.
Give me characters or give me death!

Status
Not open for further replies.