Where To Get Inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dystopian-novels.blogspot.com
As artists, the word "inspiration" conjures up images of some mystical force that transcends the logical mind, and through some spiritual process, we are endowed with a connection to the infinite that delivers us sublime works of fiction. Or does it?

Inspiration to me has been used so many times that it's almost lost all meaning. It's really on par with the terms "god" or "love", where each has been used so many times that no one really knows what they even mean anymore. Is god some mystical bearded man that lives in the sky? or does it simply mean a form of infinite energy? or is it the Higgs Boson? And what about love? Is love two teenagers fooling around in the back of a car? Is it an insecure male who thinks the girl he saw on the bus is the love of his life? Or is it a couple whose been married for 60 years?

Inspiration follows the same tune. Inspiration can just be a happy feeling, it can just be a motivation to start writing (perhaps driven from eating healthy that day or digesting a dose of caffeine), it can really be any type of emotion that leads naturally to putting finger to keyboard.

I say (excuse my french), fuck inspiration. Are you inspired 4 times a week to get up and jog or lift weights? No, but you do it because you know it will prolong your life, and possibly make you look attractive. Are you inspired to get up for work in the morning? Hell no, if your anything like me, the moment the alarm goes off you begin to question your entire existence. So why should writing be any different? If you wait for inspiration to strike, you're going to get nothing done, and you won't become a writer.

You need to approach your writing like you do any endeavor in your life. You got to "put the balls to the wall", and dig in if you want to see any kind of success. And really, its not that hard. Even if you only wrote 3 times a week, at 600 words a pop, which would take you what? 45 minutes to do if you type slowly? That would be 8,000 words a month, which would produce a novel sized piece of work in 6-8 months. If you did that without fail for 3 years, you could have 4-5 novels written, and I'm being conservative here. If your serious about being successful then you have to write more then 2,000 words a week, but if you can't, well, at least you can have 6 novels written.

My point here is that some days your not going to want to write, and some days your writing is just going to suck. But you got to do it. Because it's the crunching of the keys, in a regular routine, that produces results, and you also got to know that the first draft is the easiest bit to do. Just pump it out already! It's the editing process and the subsequent query letters that are the real hard part. So get it done.

bektamun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vampiresrevealed.weebly.com
Interesting thoughts. I totally agree that 'inspiration' is overused as a word. Frankly I'm sick to death of interviews asking me "what inspired you to write".

I write about things that interest me and hopefully other people (readers) are interested in some of the same things.

Will have to agree to disagree on the daily routine/word count area. I used to write for newspaper, pumping out article after article. These days I refuse to "write on demand". As a result I NEVER suffer writers block.

The multitude of characters residing in my head chatter away until they get so loud I cannot ignore them. That's when I sit down and write. When I feel like my brain will explode if I don't let the creativity out.

PulpDogg

I should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Will have to agree to disagree on the daily routine/word count area. I used to write for newspaper, pumping out article after article. These days I refuse to "write on demand". As a result I NEVER suffer writers block.

But the daily word count helps you practice. I am on a "at least 500 words a day" regimen right now. Even if it is total crap - I am still forming a writing habit. And when inspiration or the big idea come around I have the tools to deal with it properly instead of then squandering a good idea because I want every word to be perfect and 3 years in I still don't have more than a chapter to show for it.

bektamun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vampiresrevealed.weebly.com
But the daily word count helps you practice. I am on a "at least 500 words a day" regimen right now. Even if it is total crap - I am still forming a writing habit. And when inspiration or the big idea come around I have the tools to deal with it properly instead of then squandering a good idea because I want every word to be perfect and 3 years in I still don't have more than a chapter to show for it.

I'm speaking from personal experience and what works for ME. I earnt my stripes writing day in day out for newspaper. Even now I write almost daily for my blogs or my business. What I refuse to force is work on whatever my current project happens to be. Again, this what works for me. I'm not suggesting anyone else do it.

It is impossible to achieve a piece where every word is perfect; perfect doesn't exist. There is only the best you can do at any given time in your development as a writer. Your best may be better than my best today. Next year it may be vice versa.

Words are our tools, writing is a craft and we are continually learning to hone our skills.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
On my first few novels I needed no encouragement to lock away and document my fictional world. Now that I'm up to sixteen stories published/contracted, I'll admit I don't respond to the whimpers of my muse as easily. First few chapters still explode from my fingertips into the keyboard, yet about 20K words in, it becomes more laborious. By then I've already planned inside my head most of the scenes/chapters, know whats coming, and the fun of watching the story evolve in my mind is gone.

I'm not alone in this. Talked to several author buds and budettes that have experienced the same affect. Where as I used to complete a novel in forth months, now its taking eight. I still get the five star reviews but its so much harder to sit down and carry through. I'm impressed by published authors that have 30 or 40 stories under there belt without a ghost writer and keep trucking.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
As artists, the word "inspiration" conjures up images of some mystical force that transcends the logical mind, and through some spiritual process, we are endowed with a connection to the infinite that delivers us sublime works of fiction. Or does it?

Inspiration to me has been used so many times that it's almost lost all meaning. It's really on par with the terms "god" or "love", where each has been used so many times that no one really knows what they even mean anymore. Is god some mystical bearded man that lives in the sky? or does it simply mean a form of infinite energy? or is it the Higgs Boson? And what about love? Is love two teenagers fooling around in the back of a car? Is it an insecure male who thinks the girl he saw on the bus is the love of his life? Or is it a couple whose been married for 60 years?

Inspiration follows the same tune. Inspiration can just be a happy feeling, it can just be a motivation to start writing (perhaps driven from eating healthy that day or digesting a dose of caffeine), it can really be any type of emotion that leads naturally to putting finger to keyboard.

I say (excuse my french), fuck inspiration. Are you inspired 4 times a week to get up and jog or lift weights? No, but you do it because you know it will prolong your life, and possibly make you look attractive. Are you inspired to get up for work in the morning? Hell no, if your anything like me, the moment the alarm goes off you begin to question your entire existence. So why should writing be any different? If you wait for inspiration to strike, you're going to get nothing done, and you won't become a writer.

You need to approach your writing like you do any endeavor in your life. You got to "put the balls to the wall", and dig in if you want to see any kind of success. And really, its not that hard. Even if you only wrote 3 times a week, at 600 words a pop, which would take you what? 45 minutes to do if you type slowly? That would be 8,000 words a month, which would produce a novel sized piece of work in 6-8 months. If you did that without fail for 3 years, you could have 4-5 novels written, and I'm being conservative here. If your serious about being successful then you have to write more then 2,000 words a week, but if you can't, well, at least you can have 6 novels written.

My point here is that some days your not going to want to write, and some days your writing is just going to suck. But you got to do it. Because it's the crunching of the keys, in a regular routine, that produces results, and you also got to know that the first draft is the easiest bit to do. Just pump it out already! It's the editing process and the subsequent query letters that are the real hard part. So get it done.

I have no idea what brought this on. I don't really think this is earth-shattering news to most of us so I kinda wonder what the purpose of this impromptu lecture was?

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Hmmm, I think I mostly disagree with most of the OP's statement. Yeah, I'm inspired every morning to get up and go to work. Yeah, I'm inspired to exercise (except when it's 103 outside). Yeah, I'm inspired to love, to believe there's something beyond this existence, to give back whenever and however possible. Yeah, I'm inspired to write and to bust my butt at it.

I see inspiration everywhere. I see inspiration in a sunset, in a bar in a glass of beer, in a jumbled apartment, in the tilt of a woman's head as she listens to music she loves, in the sound of falling rain, in a peal of thunder, the flash of lightning, the set of an old tree, in birdsong and the scurrying of small animals through the brush in the woods. I see inspiration in the turn of a phrase in a good book, in the dry tomes of history, in the heavy metal drumbeat of Linkin Park and Disturbed and the lilting vocals of Kansas and Rush and Katy Perry, the somber tones of Bach and the violins of Ireland and Scotland. I see inspiration in a good pizza, a dish full of spaghetti, good sushi, homemade tacos, a huge steak grilled on the barbecue, a cold beer or hard cider on a hot day. I see inspiration in a good dog, a gentle spirit, and a bawdy comedy.

You see, inspiration is all around us, everywhere. Writers have to see that inspiration, to be inspired by the things we see, the things we experience, the trials we go through, and the triumphs we aspire to.

Writers must have hope - and hope itself is an inspiration.

Without inspiration writing is just another humdrum, day-in, day-out job that goes on and on and on forever without let up. You can drive yourself every day of your life, but without inspiration your writing will reflect that hopeless attitude, that humdrum day-to-day existence and your writing will have no life, no hope.

And writing must, absolutely must, have life or it's just words on the paper.

Readers can tell when the writer's uninspired. It shows in the writing and the story.

Writers must be inspired - every single day by something, even the most mundane thing we can imagine - because inspiration brings hope and hope reflects in the enthusiasm of your writing.

Look up. Smell the coffee. Smell the roses. Take a long walk through the woods. Learn to see the world as a writer must - as a wonderful, insane, ugly, evil, beautiful, wondrous, and horror-ridden place of constant inspiration - but most of all a place of infinite wonder and that most wonderful of things - hope.

Without inspiration, without hope, a writer's just going through the motions. Treating your craft as a business and profession and being businesslike and professional about is good, but without inspiration and hope, it's just killing time.

You'd be better off pushing a broom.

GregThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have no idea what brought this on. I don't really think this is earth-shattering news to most of us so I kinda wonder what the purpose of this impromptu lecture was?

There doesn't need to be a purpose, its just out there. It's not exactly going to hurt? and who is "most" of us? people come to forums to read and discuss, and maybe sometimes we don't need earth shattering news to move forward. Maybe a refresh of the basics is what we need?

And the whole finding inspiration everywhere, sure, that's a great approach. But for a lot of people, waiting for inspiration in a "sunset" just ain't going to cut it. Routine leads to those moments of inspiration because you hit the "flow". The romantic notion of inspiration is great in theory, I love it, we all love it. But art can't always be put in this domain. Sometimes we need a more rational approach to our "art".

It's great to hear that you are inspired to go to the gym everyday. But if that was the case for everyone, then we would be a very very fit society, but sadly, most of us aren't, so that must say something?

There has to be a balance. In my opinion. Routine leads to inspiration, but if you wait for inspiration, and find it in "everything," then you run the risk of never finding it. Sometimes you got to put in the work.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on writing without inspiration. The words flow when I feel inspired, but now I've gotten to where I can still force them onto the page when I'm not. The depression meds probably have a lot to do with that. That's really the only time I feel writer's block, when I'm depressed, which thankfully doesn't happen much anymore.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
There doesn't need to be a purpose, its just out there. It's not exactly going to hurt? and who is "most" of us? people come to forums to read and discuss, and maybe sometimes we don't need earth shattering news to move forward. Maybe a refresh of the basics is what we need?

"Most of us" would mean "the majority of the people on this board". It's not really the subject that irked me, it was the tone. It didn't feel like the starting point for a discussion or asking for opinions or thoughts as much as a lecture, and a lecture directed at an imaginary artiste as well. I very, very rarely see the attitude you argue against on here. Did you want to have other people's opinions on inspiration or did you merely want to inform them for their own good? I think there's a vast difference between the two.

Personally, I think "inspiration" is a very good cause to do what we do. Of course there will be times when I absolutely don't want to sit down to write, but if at heart I didn't love it, then maybe I would find something else to do.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Who was this blog post/rant/lecture aimed at?

Your CAT! ...the lazy bum...

Actually, while the OP first came off as another lecture, it has still sparked some conversation and already we have disagreement on what the definition of inspiration is, several personal views put forth that not everyone is agreeing with.

I've tried waiting for inspiration. Didn't write for months. It was difficult to drag myself to the keyboard/bookshelf/garden to do what needed to be done. I was waiting for that shot in the arm where I would leap up, put my hands on my hips and declare to the world 'I'M READY TO START THE DAY! BRING IT!'

Never happened. Slipped further and further into a funk.

So...I had to redefine what inspiration meant, or didn't mean, to me. Sort of coming at it through the back door. Or a window.

As a result, I tend to view inspiration with a jaded eye myself. Perhaps it's because so often I hear other writers talk about 'they are waiting for inspiration to start writing'. To be honest, it sets off the flakey-writer alarms in my head and as such, tends to have a very negative connotation for me in discussions.

Now, accomplishment is really what drives me. I can define what I deem a minimum level of accomplishment for a day/week and if I meet that, I feel energized. From that energized state I am able to leap up, put my hands on my hips and declare...you get the point.

Longwinded way of saying that I think definitions are important, how we define words/situations/states of mind and being clear about them instead of flapping our hands and going 'gosh, I dunno guys...it just is!' I mean, we're writers, aren't we? We should have a better command on how those words fit together to move someone emotionally, touch someone intellectually, motivate someone physically and mentally...if we can do it for our readers, perhaps we need to turn that inwards on ourselves every so often.

So tell THAT to your cat, too, seun! HA!

and as a data point, I've decided I'm turning this into a blog post. Go me!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Greg,

I like what you have to say, and just by your last two paragraphs I am inspired to put BIC and get to work. To be honest, I agree that inspiration to write or do anything else requiring work is way overrated. If you want any kind of success, whether that success be personal or monetary, you generally have to put some blood, sweat, and tears into it.

Butt. In. Chair.

:D

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I can't imagine writing without inspiration. I think that "aha!" feeling--that feeling of having a great idea--is what makes writing worth it, especially for so many writers who will never be published.

Maybe the word has an artsy-fartsy sound to it, but it's a useful shorthand. It just means the place where all this stuff comes from. Call it the subconscious if you like. I woke up the other day with a wonderful story idea. Where did it come from? Or, maybe, "what inspired it"? I don't know what things got mixed up together in my mind to produce those ideas, but there they were. Inspiration!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Readers can tell when the writer's uninspired. It shows in the writing and the story.

I cannot tell in my own work. There are days the drafting felt like crawling through thick mud and days it felt like flight, oh so delightful; as I edit, I could not point out which paragraphs came on which days. I discovered this long ago, and learned the lesson: write anyway, every day, until it is done. And my signature quote says this, as well as others here do, so I'm clearly not the first to discover it.

However, I've also learned I can't draft 365 days a year. I'm very close now to doing nothing but researching and making slow notes for a month or two, time I need to wait for the well to refill. My well is literal more than symbolic--I swear I've run out of certain brain chemicals at this point; my mental state is getting quite whacked. I admire and envy those who can turn around and begin drafting a new novel the same day they begin Qs on the previous, but I'm not that person. Reading for research is the most I can manage. I like the new idea, it inspires me, but there's not enough of "me" left to inspire until I get my vacation.

OP, "you're" sometimes, not "your." I don't mind a lecture, even if you were really just lecturing yourself there, but errors like that tend to undercut your phronesis.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
GregThomas, read your post. I feel frisky today so I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for a minute.

What I get from your post is that you're of the Nike 'Just Do It' mentality, right? You're saying, hey, whether you want to or not, screw that whiny inspirational crap and write something. You say you're a writer--write.

So, your commentary wasn't about that initial spark that inspires a writer to pick up that proverbial pen, but rather, a diatribe espousing 99% perspiration over that other, insignificant, 1%. No problem with that, IMO. My issue would be in your apparent assertion that a successful writer is one who "pumps it out," cranks out four, five, six novels. . .more? Of what, though? Because, without a healthy dose of inspiration to guide that pen, without passion, without consideration of character and plot and all that other good stuff, a writer who lives by the mantra "fuck inspiration" might find himself pumping out a string of worthless turds that nobody cares about.

If he doesn't care, why should they?

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

That's fine, as long as you're actually getting plenty of words written. First, writer's block doesn't exist, but even if it did, never getting it only counts if you're producing enough words to matter. If you are writing enough, you don't need the five hundred words daily. If you aren't writing enough, it's all moot, anyway.

But newspaper or publisher, if you aren't willing to write on demand, you won't go very far.

But I prefer to think of it as "Thank God, a chance to write more words.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Writers must be inspired - every single day by something, even the most mundane thing we can imagine - because inspiration brings hope and hope reflects in the enthusiasm of your writing.

No, readers can't tell the difference. It doesn't show in the story. Writing is just words on paper. If I had to be inspired to write well, if I had to give a remote damn about everything I wrote, much of my best writing never would have sold.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
James, we will just agree to disagree, huh?

Everyone, just remember - it's still 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. But without inspiration all the perspiration in the world means nothing. If you don't love what you're doing, if you don't love writing, you might as well go push a broom.

Inspiration and hope leads to love of writing, love for writing, love for your writing - and I firmly believe that loving what you do reflects in your writing.

CharlieAnn

Just about time you showed up.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pennypoems.blogspot.com
It's funny, I was toying around with my new summer schedule and found that it was hard to pick a certain time to write because of all the other priorities in my day, but your right about making it first priority. So, although whatever time a choose write down, I end up waking up early around 6 or 7 every morning because I'm inspired. You know, though, when I think about it, every time the alarm goes off and my eyes slam open, I sense fear. The fear that the dang book will never get done, therefore, I get up and run as fast as I can to the computer. So, It is the fear most of the time.
Also, the comparison between Love, God, and inspiration you made was perfect! Every one of them sounds vague at first glance, but can be maneuvered to the deepest part of your sub-conscious where you begin to rethink everything you are and how this book is even here right now, in front of you. That's about the time I start to fear again.

You know, some people are driven by inspiration, some routine, but me, I'm just driven by fear and complete passion.

GregThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just because my "lecture" didn't contain the words "so what do you think?" or involved a question, it still sparked debate and discussion so I disagree with some of the previous comments about my tone. Perhaps the "tone" was what created discussion?

I'm not saying inspiration should be absent from works, that's not my intention. What I am saying is that action has to come first. If you wait for inspiration, it won't come.

I'm a rational guy. Every field of study to do with the humanities has developed a logical, rational approach to its work, except art. It's still stuck in that mystical, irrational, passionate field, and I know some of you may say, "well that's the point of art isn't it?"

Just like an athlete can't rely on inspiration to play a good game, just like an actor can't rely on inspiration to act. A writer can't rely on inspiration to produce his work (Marlon Brandon, possibly the greatest actor ever said he never felt inspired, and that his acting was completely technique based and he did it to make money.)

A good technique is the foundation, and if you can't sit down, without inspiration, and pump out a solid piece of work, then maybe you shouldn't be a writer? Professionals in all creative fields rely on solid technique and NOT inspiration. Saying that inspiration is essential to be a great writer to me is a cop out, its an excuse. If you want to be a writer that writes in their spare time, then fine, inspiration may suit, but if you want to be a professional that pumps out consistently good novels over a long term, then you got to forget about inspiration and get on with business.

Sure, everyone in these fields has those moments of inspiration, but they come from good technique and good habits and persistent action. It's after these that inspiration may "hit". That's the point of my "lecture".

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi, GregThomas. I have a theory: Passion sparks inspiration, inspiration stimulates creativity, creativity spurs expression, expression fosters communication, communication sparks passion. . .

You have a different theory:
. . .if you want to be a professional that pumps out consistently good novels over a long term, then you got to forget about inspiration and get on with business.
Your experience, then? Maybe. Like Marlon Brando, are you pragmatic about your 'art'? Is the 'business' of art, of making art, a calculated undertaking, clearly defined: get that technique down, stick to a routine, grind out those novels? Do you believe that inspiration, if it comes at all, can wait?

Your 'lecture' inspired me to post not once, but twice, in less than twenty-four hours. I'm not the only one: Bektamun was sufficiently inspired to post twice in less than four. Jamesaritchie posted twice, as did FOTSGreg and Flicka.

Most curious (to me, at least) is this: Apparently, you, too, have been inspired to respond promptly, thoughtfully and with aplomb, thereby effectively rendering your own theory untenable. :D

Last edited:

GregThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi, GregThomas. I have a theory: Passion sparks inspiration, inspiration stimulates creativity, creativity spurs expression, expression fosters communication, communication sparks passion. . .

You have a different theory:
Your experience, then? Maybe. Like Marlon Brando, are you pragmatic about your 'art'? Is the 'business' of art, of making art, a calculated undertaking, clearly defined: get that technique down, stick to a routine, grind out those novels? Do you believe that inspiration, if it comes at all, can wait?

Your 'lecture' inspired me to post not once, but twice, in less than twenty-four hours. I'm not the only one: Bektamun was sufficiently inspired to post twice in less than four. Jamesaritchie posted twice, as did FOTSGreg and Flicka.

Most curious, though, is this: apparently, the reponses you've received thus far have inspired you to clarify your position. In my mind, by responding, you've effectively rendered your own theory untenable. :D

Haha, well I disagree I felt "inspired" to respond. It wasn't a delightful urge that had spawned from a sunset. Instead I felt "motivated" to strengthen my argument. This isn't built on passion, but rather a need to make my position a logical whole.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Again, we are getting down to what one individually defines as inspiration. That's the problem with using words as 'shorthand'. Unless everyone's on the same page as to what it means at the start, then there is going to be confusion and disagreement.

One author's inspiration is another's pragmatic approach. While this does spark a good conversation, in the end what does it matter what drives the author to the chair to write, as long as they do so?

The problem (it seems to me) with using inspiration as a driving motivator to write is that too many authors end up using it as an excuse as to why they haven't put their butt in the chair and their fingers on the keyboard. "I wasn't inspired. The inspiration is gone. I've lost my inspiration." And nothing gets done.

I can blame inspiration (and lack, thereof) for not having written for months. I have notebook pages filled with story ideas, so I know better. I know what has sucked my energy and time away. I know that (in this instance) I have allowed it to happen. I know that I had to do something to break out of the rut my wagon wheel was trapped in.

I have. I've written more in the past four days (10K! :hooray:) than I have in the past four months. There was no inspiration that did that. It was me finally getting out of my funk and finding a way that motivated me toward the keyboard even when I felt like I wanted to stay under the covers and sleep, or keep my nose firmly planted in a book.

So if there's inspiration for me it's that I have written 10K in two days and I have many more words left in me and finally the energy and brainspace and organization to do it.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
GregThomas writes: Haha, well I disagree I felt "inspired" to respond. It wasn't a delightful urge that had spawned from a sunset. Instead I felt "motivated" to strengthen my argument. This isn't built on passion, but rather a need to make my position a logical whole.
I found this quote online (http://www.pricelessprofessional.com/define-motivation-and-inspiration.html):
Motivation is the pedal car. It goes. You DO get movement, but it requires more work on your part. You've got to push, pedal and be there for it to work. The pedal car, like motivation, can be labor intensive.

Inspiration is the race car.
Less work on your part because the engine is strong and self-powered. The race car, like inspiration, is much more powerful and can cover greater distance, faster.

Methinks you're working too hard, GregThomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.