SepNoWriMo!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work squeezing in words. I keep an on-going file of "this doesn't work", but it's all big "why wouldn't they see her on the rooftops?" or "Where did the doctor disappear to for this chapter?"

I have an ideas file, and I will do the lighter ones off the list, but none of the difficult ones. Off my previous MS-completion success, I'm tempted to try to take on one of the bigger ideas (much more mainstream fiction kind of thing you need to write well) but I'm tempted to just keep going with the easy stuff until I run out of those... (#lazy)

Upside, (easy) nano-idea is in the plotting stages!

I have trouble leaving a scene until I've plugged the plot-holes and straightened out the scene (yeah, I edit as I go - the anti-NaNo).

My problem yesterday was that I was about to reintroduce a character from a previous book in the series, and I didn't have the sequence of events quite right for the proper buildup, so I had to go back and start rearranging, and then I kept getting interrupted by the stuff people actually PAY me to do, and by the time I had to shut down the computer and go home, I was only halfway there. I'll have to spend time editing what I wrote yesterday before I can move on today - which is, of course, another two-show day. :e2violin:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was a mess all around. Tried to get the current scene worked out, but there was so much drama going on backstage that I couldn't concentrate. One of our cast found out during intermission of the matinee that his brother had passed away, another cast member was waiting for updates on her stepfather's surgery and kept having shrill phone conversations with her mother, and our leading man's back seized up on him and he was in a great deal of pain. We got through both shows, but my few attempts at writing failed miserably. The scene still isn't sorted out, and I ended up with fewer words than I had at the last update.

Current WIP word count: 65,468 (goal: 76,764)
Books read: 1 out of 4
Blog posts: 1 out of 2

Up to page 190 in the Huston book.

Today is my day off, and once I get some errands run I should be able to knuckle down again. My husband just informed me that he'll be out of town Wednesday afternoon through Sunday, which means the house will be quiet then. ::rubs hands in anticipatory glee::

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
MrsMig - how are you not writing a novel about the zany backstage world of theatre?

Yesterday, I accomplished nothing. I worked, went to eat lunch with my BF and watch my team lose yet again on a last second field goal, and slept until it was time for work today.

I slept for 15 hours. My capacity for sleep cannot be matched. I did however miss the BF's after-show performance (a local theatre invites bands to play to the crowd after shows) and the BBQ trip afterwards.

Writing accomplished = 0

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MrsMig - how are you not writing a novel about the zany backstage world of theatre?

Yesterday, I accomplished nothing. I worked, went to eat lunch with my BF and watch my team lose yet again on a last second field goal, and slept until it was time for work today.

I slept for 15 hours. My capacity for sleep cannot be matched. I did however miss the BF's after-show performance (a local theatre invites bands to play to the crowd after shows) and the BBQ trip afterwards.

Writing accomplished = 0

Eh, we all need a day off occasionally.

Re: writing about the theatre - it's what I live, day in and day out, and I think writing about it as well might drive me mad. I have an idea for a theatre-based rom/com and another for a theatre-based cozy mystery series, but I can't seem to get interested in them. Maybe once the fantasy series is out of my system...

chompers

Registered
Reaction score

Writing accomplished = 0
I CAN match it AND beat it! I slept for 11 hours, woke up for 1 hour, tried to do some writing, and went back to sleep after about 10 words. :p Slept for another 6 hours.

I've been soooo tired lately. BUT! I did end up writing 1k later yesterday. :D

PS. You didn't not do any writing? Time to crack that whip!:deadhorse (I didn't see the whip emoticon. This will have to do.)

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I CAN match it AND beat it! I slept for 11 hours, woke up for 1 hour, tried to do some writing, and went back to sleep after about 10 words. :p Slept for another 6 hours.

That sounds divine! AND 1k? That's an excellent day.

I know, I know, I'm sorry tiny fluffy kitten. I will do better today.

You finish that WIP yet? :evil

I have an idea for a theatre-based rom/com and another for a theatre-based cozy mystery series, but I can't seem to get interested in them. Maybe once the fantasy series is out of my system...

Both of these ideas seem really cool to me, though I can understand not wanting to mix job and writing...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm back in that frustrating endgame stage where the last few chapters take forrrreverrrr. Sigh. This manuscript will never be finished. There is no escape!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
So... I'm finally getting internet at home. :)

Yay for not relying on public/school networks!

~Amber~

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
You finish that WIP yet? :evil
Touche. :roll:

Realized I had actually written more yesterday. I failed to include 300 words in that total. woohoo!

I'm also nearing the end of completion of this WIP and it's been tough going. It doesn't help that everything I've been writing lately has been downright terrible, even after envisioning it for days already. Sigh.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I started tinkering with a query again, this time for the SNI's MS (the one in revision) and it's crap.

I don't know what it is about a query that just makes me feel like the worst writer to ever write. I complain, and hear "well, writing is hard work" but I wrote the whole MS without feeling this disappointed in my work.

I'm not very critical when I write a wip, but queries are the complete opposite. I'm terrible at everything. *kicks rocks*

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
2500 words yesterday, 3500 today. Thank you Coffee for sending me off to write. :D

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the saddle again, and almost over the halfway mark on the WIP writing goal:

Current WIP word count: 66,293 (goal: 76,764)

Hoping to make some more progress on the Huston book tonight.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
About 625 words written for a 500-word assignment. Once I got going, I just had too much to say! But the first draft is done now, and I'm sure I can prune it back to be within the word count limit.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it.

Aside from those 625-ish words, all I've really done today is figure out a bit more for my major creative nonfiction essay. Hopefully what I figured out today will make it easier to write later.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Up and over!

Current WIP word count: 67,217 (goal: 76,764)

Up to page 218 in the Huston biography.

Last edited:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
2500 words yesterday, 3500 today. Thank you Coffee for sending me off to write. :D

Good, now keep at it :D You have an MS to finish.

Food poisoning.

I was out for a whole week :(

Yikes! I've only had it once, and it was awful. Take care of yourself.

Up and over!

Whee! awesome.

I revised chapter 3. Chapter 4 on paper, and then chapter 4 on file next. I think I'm faster when I alternate. I know ch 4 has one of the big-fix scenes in it. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it make logical sense. Another 40 page chapter, so we'll see if I can get through it on paper today. If not, I might go spend some time playing video games instead.

Katje

Amoebakat at Large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katjevanloon.com
Yeeeeeaah, okay. I need some accountability. ;)

September's Goals

1. Finish revising The Jade Star of Athering and send it off to the editor for first round of edits. Assuming I get it back before the end of the month, send off to beta readers.
2. Try to finish Secret Project. (the current project in the genre I write under a different name)
3. Start work on outline for Anala.
4. Finish outlining From the Ashes. Revised pantsed bits as needed.
5. Write 5,000 words on From the Ashes.
6. Revisit Winterborn. See what can be done.

Okay. Off to work on #1.

Finished the first thing on my list last night. Sent it off to the editor. Now I can finally work on other things.

:partyguy:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Because I was up way earlier than usual this morning, I've just spent about an hour finding extra readings for my sociology literature review. Now that I know in more detail what I'm intending to research (instead of just a general idea) it was fairly easy locating some (hopefully) useful readings.

I think I have enough now, but I won't really know till I've read more than just the abstracts.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I fear I may have lost EVERYTHING I've written. I can't access where it's stored in the cloud. Every once in a while I'm able to access it, but then it shows as having nothing. Except for some WIPs I'm currently working on, I don't any of the files downloaded. Before I had them in my laptop, but I thought the laptop would die soon, so I backed it up to the cloud. The laptop did die. I had planned to back it up to one more place, because there'd been speculation that this app has been having problems, but I hadn't had a chance yet. There's about 300k of unfinished work.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Whew! I guess lamenting about it made the clouds take pity on me. It's back!

I feel like I should download it all, stat. But there's a lot and it's 4am right now. I'd also have to download all the notes that go along with them.

ETA: Spoke too soon.

Last edited:

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven’t posted for so long. *Cries at life.*

I’ve been busy lately and haven’t had much chance to work on the MS. On the plus side, during all this, I just got offered eight weeks of work experience, which I start on Monday:hooray: After three years of not even being able to get a job, I’ll take it. But no, I’m super happy though:D

The only thing I did on the Ms, regarding edits, since the last time I posted was work a few things out on the timeline, sub plots and character arcs.

I’m hoping to work more on it this weekend and then move onto the next lot of edits:e2poke: before I start the work life:scared: