PA author gets fired from job because of book

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
It's not that I'm short, it's that others are over tall. Poor things, always having to watch their heads, unable to stand up straight in the window seat on airplanes, having to pull their knees up to their chins in compact cars.

I tell people I should be getting a growth-spurt any day now.

DA, 5'3" and 34 years old.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not that I'm short, it's that others are over tall. Poor things, always having to watch their heads, unable to stand up straight in the window seat on airplanes, having to pull their knees up to their chins in compact cars.
Being able to reach the food on the buffet line, getting served at the ticket window, having a GREAT view at concerts, getting into bars without hassle from the bouncers, being able to buy ADULT clothing, not needing to sit on a dictionary to see a movie or a play, not getting mistaken for a rugby ball or a garden gnome, not needing a booster seat at a restaurant...yes, life is SOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAARD. Did I mention the part about BEING ABLE TO GO TO A BAR WITHOUT THE BOUNCERS GIVING US GRIEF? Why, yes. So I did. Ha, ha!

I mean...wow. PA sucks, don't it?

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Did I mention the part about BEING ABLE TO GO TO A BAR WITHOUT THE BOUNCERS GIVING US GRIEF?

When you're my age, being carded is flattering.... :)

*Looks around* What?

Oh yeah, we were talking about PA. Right. Boo, PA...

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
I'm 6' 3" and sing "short people got no reason to live" when I'm hovering over them in the grocery store.

I am NOT short. I'm fun sized!

I'm not short, I'm just unusually not tall.

I'm not short, I'm just space efficient.

Yes, I am short. Its not my fault gravity prefers me.

I'm not short. I'm cuddle sized!

Ahhh....Flair...

4'11 1/2", thank you very much!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I am NOT short. I'm fun sized!

I'm not short, I'm just unusually not tall.

I'm not short, I'm just space efficient.

Yes, I am short. Its not my fault gravity prefers me.

I'm not short. I'm cuddle sized!

Ahhh....Flair...

4'11 1/2", thank you very much!
Well said. :)

So there, former Library Lady Who Got Pubbed By PA! :e2tongue: (Goes to show you, Publish America will publish anything.)

Alexandra Little

What a desolation.
Registered
Reaction score
Well said. :)

So there, former Library Lady Who Got Pubbed By PA! :e2tongue: (Goes to show you, Publish America will publish anything.)

They just had a case in the news where one cheerleader wrote a defamatory book about another, and the case against a POD publisher was dismissed because they can't possibly know what they're publishing.

But PA is a "traditional" (*cough*) publisher, so they're responsible for the content. So the city (or patrons) could sue them and win. Hmm...

(and I'm 5'10, and the hottest guy in my German class can't be much over 5 feet. *cries that she's too tall*)

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
But PA is a "traditional" (*cough*) publisher, so they're responsible for the content. So the city (or patrons) could sue them and win. Hmm...

Good point. That PA claim of being a "traditional" publisher just might turn out to be enough to bite PA on the backsides in a libel suit by someone mentioned in a PA-published book. PA should really consider how this might play in front of a jury if the Plaintiff hammers home the point that PA claimed to be a publisher and not a printer.

cdoctor13

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They just had a case in the news where one cheerleader wrote a defamatory book about another, and the case against a POD publisher was dismissed because they can't possibly know what they're publishing.

(and I'm 5'10, and the hottest guy in my German class can't be much over 5 feet. *cries that she's too tall*)

I'm 5'9", which is short by male standards.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
If someone brought suit, PA would be in the same boat as Authorhouse.
PA is in an interesting gray area. They claim to be a real publisher. So what would a judge do in a libel suit? IIRC Authorhouse doesn't make any such claims, but they were caught in the libel case because Brandewyne's ex-husband told them another printer had turned it down because of libel issues. And they still printed it. :rolleyes: Duh!

Perhaps someone has and that is why this book appears to be no longer available from sea to shining sea.
We can only hope. :D

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Quote of a quote from Victoria's blog: The court concluded BookSurge was "an independent company that transforms PDF documents into books with no editorial control and no communal process with the author" (i.e., it doesn't edit, fact-check, or review the material it prints), and furthermore "had no duty to inspect the work that came before it for defamation,"

Oh, yes; I really, really want PA to admit in court they don't edit, review, inspect or communicate, just print. Then we can sit back and watch the suits pile up. Ten years of false advertising is only the start. Class action, anyone? I don't think this could be railroaded into arbitration; it would take just one judicial "this contract contains false information" for the floodgates to open, even if they change the wording on both contracts and ads.

As for the library assistant, is she truly complaining (I refuse to read or listen to her) that as an assistant she had to assist people? Gosh, life is so hard.

I blew out my knee a while back and had to walk with a cane. :e2beat: Does being temporarily disabled make me a temporary pervert? I even - *gasp*Horrors!* - used the library's computer. Who knows what I was looking at, holding that cane?

My mother was just under 5 feet. I should never have been born. My parents, my grandparents... hold on...*searches desperately through family tree*...there's gotta be someone who meets the assistant's criteria for perfection...*rustle*rustle* Oh, I surrender. Shoot me.

Sorry. I can't even be annoyed; this is simply too absurd. But if it helps wake people up, including the PAvidians, it's all for the good. :e2dance:

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Provision 14 B of my first contract with PA reads:

"The Publisher reserves the right to delete, modify, and/or make such editorial changes and/or revision as they deem advisable in the event that the context, or implication of any part of said literary work would, in Publisher's opinion, incite prejudice, or defame any group, or any members thereof, because of race, religion, or nationality; or in the event that any part or parts of the said literary work may be considered, by the Publisher, to be against the public welfare."

That entire provision has to do with editing (A and B.) It's possible that later contracts either no longer have that provision, or that the wording has changed.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose, to get the money to pay for damages, she could counter-sue the library for firing her from the job.

cdoctor13

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
She doesn't have a case. At the very minimum she made a huge ethical lapse and as a public servant, that's grounds for termination. And it's not a free speech issue because no one stopped her from publishing the book, nor promoting it. She just paid the price for publishing a slanderous book and she may yet pay even more. No lawyer in his right mind would touch this case with a 100 foot pole. I wouldn't, certainly.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*rummagerummagerummage*

My mistake. All I found in past posts/articles is she didn't appeal the firing. Where I get the idea she was suing, I have no clue. Sorry for the confusion.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Can PA be enjoined (sp?) in any suit brought by those "in" the book?

After all, their scrupulous standards allowed the book to be published.

Seriously, I would like them to be identified as the next AuthorHouse printer.

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
No lawyer in his right mind would touch this case with a 100 foot pole. I wouldn't, certainly.

Lawyers will touch any case, if they think they can get fame from it, no matter how un-winnable it may be. Look at the current Casey Anthony indictment for example and others...