XoLeIn GaEpRuXoMyRuEp

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
6. My O'Hare terminal does not have free WiFi. Best seven bucks I've spent all day.

Are there airport terminals that do? Because I've been through my fair share of airports since wifi came into being... and as yet to find one that's free.

I think it's because they know you are a captive consumer with no other choice.

Also, semi-randomly, I always liked O'Hare. Wasn't quite as charming as St Paul (the moose) or Vancouver (moose and views), but as airports go, I like it.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I was tempted to tell him I only talk to half-naked men as well, and he should move along.

What if he'd started to eagerly disrobe? Ewwww!

This is why I never look at strangers. They think it's an invitation to talk. Of course, I don't look at acquaintances either except to verify they're who I think they are. Same with family and friends.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
Are there airport terminals that do? Because I've been through my fair share of airports since wifi came into being... and as yet to find one that's free.

I think it's because they know you are a captive consumer with no other choice.

Also, semi-randomly, I always liked O'Hare. Wasn't quite as charming as St Paul (the moose) or Vancouver (moose and views), but as airports go, I like it.

Yes! Dallas/Ft. Worth (not all terminals), Phoenix and Seattle have it. I think Albuquerque does, too, but the waits are always so quick there I've never had cause to use it.

I like O'Hare. Lots of food options. This is a selling point for me. :D

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score

It's more likely to happen in progressive communities like Seattle and places with lower traffic where it won't cost them as much.

Airports as large as OHare usually use Boingo or something.

Unless, you know, it was Hillz' cowboy.

:D

No, he was dressed like a cowboy, but he wasn't a cowboy. It was some weird role-playing or something. Because the lady he was waiting for came down, looked him over and was like "WTF are you dressed like that for?"

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
No, don't do this.

What if he took off his shirt??

Unless, you know, it was Hillz' cowboy.

He was not a sexy cowboy. It's for the best.

What if he'd started to eagerly disrobe? Ewwww!

This is why I never look at strangers. They think it's an invitation to talk. Of course, I don't look at acquaintances either except to verify they're who I think they are. Same with family and friends.

I try not to make eye contact, but apparently I have one of those "friendly" faces. Maybe I should work on my bitchface?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I like O'Hare. Lots of food options. This is a selling point for me. :D

Definitely! Plus, during slow times, Miguel at the Wolfgang Puck gives out free cheese and wine. Or, at least he gives it to me. nom

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
No, he was dressed like a cowboy, but he wasn't a cowboy. It was some weird role-playing or something. Because the lady he was waiting for came down, looked him over and was like "WTF are you dressed like that for?"

Maybe he was hoping some sort of cowboy fantasy would roll out of that one. Though, then I wonder what the Grizzly was for. *shudders*

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I try not to make eye contact, but apparently I have one of those "friendly" faces. Maybe I should work on my bitchface?

I find that people who want to talk to you will do it no matter what. Maybe it's just a matter of out-crazying them... Although that could have disastrous results, couldn't it? Ah well. It would be a fun experiment. So long as you had an easy escape route.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oh. Well, did he at least make the look work? Because I've seen some people look fabulous in westernish hats even when they weren't cowboys.

Or cowgirls.

Not naming names or anything.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
He was not a sexy cowboy. It's for the best.

If you can pull off the bitchface, that's always good. But if that is difficult for you there is a sure fire method, you might not like it though.

Nose picking.

Mind you, that is only in my mind because of the habits of one of my characters, honest.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Dallas/Ft. Worth (not all terminals), Phoenix and Seattle have it. I think Albuquerque does, too, but the waits are always so quick there I've never had cause to use it.

I don't think I've ever even had a chance to sit down in Albuquerque. That and Bradley both move quite smoothly, although to be fair, it's now been about five years since I've flown anywhere.

For all that Texas makes me want to run and hide, Dallas/Ft. Worth is a really decent airport. Plenty of stuff to do, easy to navigate. If American would stop losing my luggage every time I pass through there, I'd be hard-pressed to say anything bad about the place.

Nose picking.

That's actually quite brilliant, albeit something I doubt I'd ever be able to bring myself to pull off.

I did find that, when you have someone on an airplane tip their seat back as far as it'll go right into your face, sneezing on the back of their head is VERY effective in getting them to change their minds on that.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Although entertaining, all this talk of airports and bizarre passengers only reinforces my conviction that Airplanes are Teh Evuls. Give me cars, trains, boats.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Pittsburgh airport has free wifi (as does downtown Pittsburgh). So does Hell...err... Philadelphia International.

I usually take a paper book with me on flights. Easier to deal with, since it requires no batteries and I don't have to turn it off during takeoff and landing.

The only good airport story I have is the one where the people in front of me in Philly cried when TSA confiscated their Coke. That's Coca Cola. They had carefully hidden several cans in socks in their carry-ons.

Um, like they wouldn't notice on the x-ray?

Things are calmer here in Pittsburgh.

I went and had coffee with my writing mentor (and a bunch of other folks). Good conversations. It rained a ton, so no northern lights for us.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The only good airport story I have is the one where the people in front of me in Philly cried when TSA confiscated their Coke. That's Coca Cola.

I got soundly mocked by the security guys in Heathrow once for having a six-pack of IRN-BRU in my carry-on.

They were not wrong. Neither was I.

Don't suppose I could get away with that now, though. :(

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he was hoping some sort of cowboy fantasy would roll out of that one. Though, then I wonder what the Grizzly was for. *shudders*

He didn't bring the bear. :D There's a lot of taxidermy at the airports here.

Oh. Well, did he at least make the look work? Because I've seen some people look fabulous in westernish hats even when they weren't cowboys.

This seems unlikely.

The whistling threw him off of every judgement scale I know of.

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Not so bad. I'll need to organize it a bit more carefully, but the 100 best SF/F books ever thread has given me a list. In addition to mentions from you guys.

I don't feel so bad now.

Out of the list of 123 books, I own 34 of them.

I know of all but 29 of the authors.

Out of the 89 titles I don't own, I own at least one other book by that book's author in 17 cases.

Basically, the ones who were not on my TBR list because I didn't know existed number : 38

again, not bad I think, for someone with no bookstore to go browse in.

Owned 34/131
Never heard either author or title 38/131
Has been on my TBR list for a while = 64

Nice spread. Now to do the slashing and searching of Powell's or Amazon to find what I can get. Set the budget, mix and match for most books for my budget.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Can I get drunk yet? Who's in here? Show of hands...who thingks this is a good idea? (tentacles don't count)

Debio

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the reason for getting drunk? I don't approve of getting drunk to avoid problems. Getting drunk to celebrate, have fun, seduce someone, get the nerve to be seduced, or just cause it tastes good, those are all fine reasons.

So which is it? And what do you want.

*Heads behind the bar*

Status
Not open for further replies.