Read any good LGBT lit lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the other sub-fora have their own whatcha-readin threads. Can we have one too? I have a hard time finding enough LGBT books that I love.

I just finished reading Almost Like Falling In Love by Steve Kluger. I loved it. It was hard to put down. Really funny and really sweet story about two teenage boys who had a whirlwind romance and are trying to get back together 20 years later. Lots of obsessing over musical theater and pro baseball.

Now looking forward to getting Gypsy Boy soon at the library, a bio about a boy growing up in the UK Romany community, who leaves eventually because he is gay. And Witch Eyes. And A Tree of Bones, the end of an amazing big gay wild west fantasy trilogy. It starts with A Book of Tongues if you want to read a really bitchin book.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just went through the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin to celebrate its release in e-format and because I've read the recent book Mary Ann in Autumn twice already without reading it in its proper chronology. (Mr. Maupin "liked" my comment on Facebook that chapter 14 of Michael Tolliver Lives is still as emotionally devastating the third time as it was the first!)

If that made sense.

I'm now reading Eminent Outlaws: The Gay Writers Who Changed America by Christopher Bram. It's a look at gay literature and its authors after World War II, and it's proving to be an interesting read. Much biographical information on such authors as Christopher Isherwood, Truman Capote, and James Baldwin, and the evolution of the landscape. Up next: either a YA novel called Debbie Harry Sings In French by Meagan Brothers or Affinity or Fingersmith by Sarah Waters (LOVED Tipping the Velvet!).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Don't expect much from Witch Eyes, Kitty. There's a character who's supposed to be a Marvel comic fan, and it's a pretty appalling case of Critical Research Failure. This X-Men fan was not impressed.

Otherwise, it's a pretty standard paranormal YA. Angsty, mysterious love interest, rival magic clans that make the romance inconvenient for both parties, useless parents, blah-blah-blah. I didn't like it.

Last LGBT book I read that was pretty good: Libyrinth by Pearl North. There are three POV characters, one of whom is a lesbian, and one of the fantasy settings is this Amazon-like matriarchy with this whole warrior culture going on. And the main conflict is about whether the knowledge and secrets of the universe should be recorded in books, or in song. The world building is incredible.

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
I've been wanting to read WITCH EYES. I just haven't gotten around to buying it yet.

Adding some of these other books to my TBR list~

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Don't expect much from Witch Eyes, Kitty. There's a character who's supposed to be a Marvel comic fan, and it's a pretty appalling case of Critical Research Failure. This X-Men fan was not impressed.

Otherwise, it's a pretty standard paranormal YA. Angsty, mysterious love interest, rival magic clans that make the romance inconvenient for both parties, useless parents, blah-blah-blah. I didn't like it.

I've heard of it and the author Scott Tracey. You make it sound like Twilight on gayroids. Probably not my thing, if true.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I can never find enough gay fiction that I enjoy. Of course I have a long list of pissy noes: NO coming out stories, NO street kid/rent boy stories, NO story that has AIDS as the central plot point, premise and/or theme. And, good god, no high-class literary nonsense with the grammar--I know, some people are artistes, but I want a book I can cuddle up with in bed at night.

I am currently working my way through the Cambridge Mysteries (Charlie Cochrane), gradually. They are modest fun. A Book of Tongues has been on my list forever, but--no matter where I register--no one seems to buy it for me! Oh, bother. Some folks on another GLBT writers group were not overly enthusiastic about Eminent Outlaws, but I do love C Bram. In fact I think the last gay themed book I loved loved loved was The Notorious Dr. August...So I am sure I'll get to it eventually.

Last edited:

Icedevimon

Queen of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.palaceofroleplay.sp-website.net
Well, I read mostly YA, so I read a lot of coming out stories by result. Last one I read The Vast Fields of Ordinary, but I didn't really like it. Before that was Hero, and I didn't like that one either. In progress with Boyfriends with Girlfriends... And I'm not liking it. Not sure what is going on, heh.

I have one adult book called Am I My Sister's Keeper that I may try soon when I've exhausted the YA out there.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Considering the only LGBT books I've read recently are mine (ugg, editing), that question feels like a trap. :p

The last LGBT book I bought is a sci-fi story, Shadow Man by Melissa Scott. The main character is a hermaphrodite who lives in a society that denies that there are other genders than male and female. In their future there's actually five but the new ones get no recognition. Of course this leads to civil unrest. I found it very interesting.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of it and the author Scott Tracey. You make it sound like Twilight on gayroids. Probably not my thing, if true.
But without the vampires, and not quite so melodramatic as that. It's a quick read (I got it from the library), but IMO irreparably boring.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, lots of good reccies in this thread. Hooray!

I LOVE "I'll Get There, It Better Be Worth The Trip"! Get the new edition as it has some interesting essays. That book has the world's number one greatest fictional dog in it. He cannot be beat. You will wish he was your dog. The MC is great too: about as surly and disenchanted as a character can be without going Full Holden Caulfield and enraging the reader.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Hi. I happened upon this thread this morning. Best of late? Mine, if I can say it. I'm revising it right now. Not strictly LGBT because there's hetero stuff in there, so I'm not sure what market . . .I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's a love story (but not all sweetness and light, though; not even) about a prick college professor (with two failed marriages) and the uncommonly sweet young male prostitute who loves him in spite of everything. . .but that love won't last because the kid's planning to kill himself so he can be with his dead mother. (It's not that bad. Really, it isn't! :) I guess you'll have to take my word for it. . .

[Edited material.] I posted more on SYW, etc., FYI. Anyway, just putting in my two cents. . .Never mind me. Please, carry on.

Oh, by the way, Holden Caulfield makes a couple of appearances in my novel. I like the kid. What's not to like?

Last edited:

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
This portion of the boards is not password protected. Probably not the best idea to post work here, for future reference.

Anyway, I'll go check it out.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Sadly, no. I recently pre-ordered the paperback edition of Pink by Lily Wilkinson, though, which I've heard good things about. The Difference Between You and Me by Madeleine George is also supposed to be fantastic, but there's no paperback version available yet.

They're both contemporary YA, FWIW.

On the note of queer YA--Malinda Lo is making a list of 2012 YA novels with queer main characters. She asks people to Tweet additions to her at @malindalo. :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I have. I can stomach it better than plain old YA, but it's still just not for me.

I should amend that to I can't or won't read most YA. Once in a while something awesome comes along, but that's true of almost anything outside my usual reading zone.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Well, we aren't limiting the convo to only YA, are we? If we are, then I really have less to say. Urgh. I read the occasional YA, but I find for the most part the entire genre has little to say I am interested in hearing.

You read the piece of trash I wrote, which is saying something for your tolerance levels.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is an awful lot of LGBT fiction and nonfiction that is not YA!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
No, we're not limiting the conversation to YA. I merely mean that a lot of the recent uptick in available GLBT lit is YA.

Status
Not open for further replies.