• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

New Leaf Literary & Media

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
This is their website which is under construction.

The address link at Publishers Marketplace goes to some weird mailbox login.

Preditors and Editors lists them as a literary agency, location unknown.

Kathleen Ortiz of New Leaf is listed at Query Tracker. It looks like the agency is going through personnel changes. Here is Kathleen's blog.

TheGrayLady

hide and seek
Registered
Reaction score
so many dream agents at New Leaf! I'm getting ready to query and it's going to be so hard to pick one!

KateJJ

coffee and pistols at dawn
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I got a nice form rejection from them on 7/6. My initial query on 6/25 apparently got lost but they responded within hours on 7/6.

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Kathleen on 6/30. She said on her blog she's read all queries up to 7/9. Not sure if she's a non responder, not sure if she never received it. I didn't get the confirmation email.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Suzie Townsend just signed a new writer, Marcy Kate, I think her name is.

She was in the Writers Voice in may so I got to read her query and first page, it's a YA frankenstein retelling. It was fabulous. I'll be looking out for this one.

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! MarcyKate Connelly just signed with her yesterday and the manuscript's called MONSTROUS; I'm reading it now and it's gorgeous.

MarcyKate

There can be only One.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcykate.com
Aw, thank you so much, Tromboli and Dahlia! :D

I did sign with Suzie (she's awesome!) and their response times should be back to normal now that the internet issues have been resolved. Suzie also does a Query Round-up every Friday on her blog (http://confessionsofawanderingheart.blogspot.com/). She's a very faster responder!

Good luck if you're querying her!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Suzie did a "I Can Handle The Truth" response period to her query pile last week, and I sent my YA which is set in the Seventies.

Her response was that Historical YA is a tough sell in today's market. I didn't realize 1974 is now considered "Historical." Yikes.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Her response was that Historical YA is a tough sell in today's market. I didn't realize 1974 is now considered "Historical." Yikes.

She is correct. It's a very tough sell.

I was told the same thing (by more than one agent) last year when I queried my YA novel set in 1995. Yes, the 90s is historical, especially the mid-to-early 90s before the Internet and cell phones completely took over our way of life. Those things were still new then. Many suggested rewriting my novel to be set in modern day.

At this point, anything set in the 20th century is considered historical fiction in the YA market. For contemporary fiction you only have a year or two of leeway before agents/editors start to get nervous about the target readers not fully connecting with it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I seem to have lost my dentures...

Lydia, high school graduate in '96

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
That is SO interesting! The last time I was researching historical fiction, the pundits pointed to the Depression. Well, ya learn something new every day...

I figured 70s YA will be the 'next thing' with the popularity of blockbuster films like Super 8. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

ETA: Maybe I should aim toward Baby Boomers for the nostalgic angle.

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
That is SO interesting! The last time I was researching historical fiction, the pundits pointed to the Depression. Well, ya learn something new every day...

I figured 70s YA will be the 'next thing' with the popularity of blockbuster films like Super 8. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

ETA: Maybe I should aim toward Baby Boomers for the nostalgic angle.

Agreed! My books are set nearly 200 years ago, hard to imagine the 1990's being 'historical'. Wow. I suddenly feel quite ancient...

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Late 20th century (70s thru 90s) may not be considered historical, generally speaking, but in YA it is. And I'd guess also for MG and younger. It's different when your target audience is children. The story has to feel more immediate, and relatable. I've seen more than one editor mention that YA historical still has to connect with teens in a major way, or else they won't read it. That's why it's such a tough sell.

However, "tough" does not mean "impossible." Agents and editors are still looking for good YA historical, so there IS a market for it.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
I queried Suzie Townsend at Nancy Coffey last January, and got a rejection. I wonder if I'd get the same response at her new agency. I have no idea how much of an agent's responses are set personally, and how much according to an agency's guidelines.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
I queried Suzie Townsend at Nancy Coffey last January, and got a rejection. I wonder if I'd get the same response at her new agency. I have no idea how much of an agent's responses are set personally, and how much according to an agency's guidelines.

At the query stage, I'd say it pretty much comes down to the agent's personal tastes/preferences/guidelines. I've known/talked to a few agents who after reading a full and deciding they want to offer have then had to get second reads from others in the office or check with the head of the agency for approval first before actually offering and signing a new client - but I've never heard of an agent's choices in what queries they request a full from being influenced by their agency or boss.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
EQ: 02/11/12

Heard the agency got power again on Monday, so really counts from then! :0)

Stephanie Witter

Registered
Reaction score
I participated to the #PitMad on twitter yesterday and Suzie Townsend requested my query and ten pages of my new adult contemporary romance. And today I received a request for my full manuscript. Her email was short but really friendly and enthusiastic.
Fingers crossed. :)

MeganJoWrites

Superpowers: Making babies, writing
Registered
Reaction score
I participated to the #PitMad on twitter yesterday and Suzie Townsend requested my query and ten pages of my new adult contemporary romance. And today I received a request for my full manuscript. Her email was short but really friendly and enthusiastic.
Fingers crossed. :)

That's awesome! Congrats!

I missed #PitMad but I saw her requests, so I sent a query to her Friday night for my new adult contemporary. **shrug** I figured it couldn't hurt!

Keep us updated! I hope she likes your full!

Stephanie Witter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Megan! I'm going to freak out in the next weeks...
And I'll keep you updated. Fingers crossed for your query. :)

MeganJoWrites

Superpowers: Making babies, writing
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Megan! I'm going to freak out in the next weeks...
And I'll keep you updated. Fingers crossed for your query. :)

I know the feeling! I'm waiting to hear back from Entangled on a full request, but I have 4-6 weeks wait on that. Plus, I'm 33 weeks pregnant and a cranky biotch. So, yeah. This should be fun, haha.

Fingers crossed for both of us!!