• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Seymour Agency

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
The Seymour Agency recently added a new agent, Julie Gwinn, and I'll be hosting an interactive interview with her on my website this Friday, October 24. If you have a question for Ms. Gwinn specifically or a new agent in general, feel free to drop by that day!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a partial request from Lane Heymont, he's a literary assistant there. Does anyone know what agent he's working for?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
First, congratulations!

Second, according to a post on his blog at the beginning of this year (http://laneheymont.com/2014/01/24/t...by-barbara-vey-of-publishers-weekly-part-one/) he is actually an assistant agent at Seymour.

I'm not sure exactly what he means by that (in another blog post in October of last year, he uses the term literary assistant), except that he might be trying to build his own client list.

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Received an enthusiastic request in August for a full from Julie Gwinn. Appreciated that her request included asking (and getting me thinking) whether my ms could evolve into a series.
Sent her a status inquiry early Nov. and hoping to get a reply to that or even a prelim response to the full perhaps early in the new year, after agencies thaw from December hibernation :)
She sounds like someone who could really champion one's story if she feels strongly about it.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope everyone is well! I can officially announce I've been promoted to junior agent at The (amazing) Seymour Agency. I'll be representing fantasy, science-fiction, and select non-fiction. Feel free to view my wish list at The Seymour Agency's "About Us" section. I look forward to reading all of your queries!

As a four-year member on the forums I know how awesome and righteously tough we can be. I'm here for questions — big, small, and critical — about my experience, etc. I will be as honest and open as I can be. Basically, no you cannot have my social security number. Lol

Look forward to hearing from you all!

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That's fantastic, Lane... we wish you the best!

I sent you a pvt msg on a contemporary urban/magical realism I wrote.

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Lane! I've enjoyed your query tips and wish you well as an agent.

Are you open for queries now? I didn't see your e-mail address on the agency site.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Lane! I've enjoyed your query tips and wish you well as an agent.

Are you open for queries now? I didn't see your e-mail address on the agency site.

Hi Geo,

Thanks! I think the email is now on the "Contact" page. And yes, I am so open for queries! Send it on over.

WilRadcliffe

Registered
Reaction score
Lane, I recently submitted to you. But having read through the thread and learning of the agency's religious leanings, I'm uncertain if my current novel would be a good fit or not. It's a dark fantasy novel with quite a bit of adult language and adult situations. Probably not as graphic as say George R.R. Martin, but on par with Stephen King.

Do you represent works with a bit of an edge? Or is there an agency policy against foul language, sex, and violence?

Thanks,

Wil Radcliffe

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Lane, I recently submitted to you. But having read through the thread and learning of the agency's religious leanings, I'm uncertain if my current novel would be a good fit or not. It's a dark fantasy novel with quite a bit of adult language and adult situations. Probably not as graphic as say George R.R. Martin, but on par with Stephen King.

Do you represent works with a bit of an edge? Or is there an agency policy against foul language, sex, and violence?

Thanks,

Wil Radcliffe

Hi Wil,

Great question. I think there's a certain stigma around the "Christian agency". Yes, we are a Christian agency, but in no way are we "conservative" or "fundamentalist".

Let me put it this way, I am Jewish and LOVE dark fantasy, weird fiction, and macabre stories. Heck, my own fantasy is pretty dark.

Our agency reps some dark and sexy stuff, witches, werewolves, vampires, demons, paranormal romances — even an erotica, I think.

I can't speak for other agents, but send me your edgy, disturbed, and magnificent fantasy!

Hope that helps. :)

WilRadcliffe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Wil,

Great question. I think there's a certain stigma around the "Christian agency". Yes, we are a Christian agency, but in no way are we "conservative" or "fundamentalist".

Let me put it this way, I am Jewish and LOVE dark fantasy, weird fiction, and macabre stories. Heck, my own fantasy is pretty dark.

Our agency reps some dark and sexy stuff, witches, werewolves, vampires, demons, paranormal romances — even an erotica, I think.

I can't speak for other agents, but send me your edgy, disturbed, and magnificent fantasy!

Hope that helps. :)

Lane, thanks! That's great to hear... er, read! :)

I was actually more concerned about offending you than getting a rejection. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

S. L. Saboviec

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saboviec.com
I sent in a query for my adult paranormal thriller to Lane (*waves*) on 2/8. He requested a partial and synopsis within an hour and returned with a rejection the next day.

The only thing I'm not sure on is if I should query another agent. The form email thanked me from Lane and the Seymour Agency, but there's nothing that I could find on the website to indicate that a no from one means no from all--especially if additional materials have been rejected.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Samantha,

Great question! We are a no to one is a no to all agency. We often pass queries to each if we think it's a better fit for another agent.

I should also mention Nicole Resciniti isn't taking on any more clients. I'd say feel free to query her, but keep that caveat in mind.

As far as Julie Gwinn goes, she's not big on fantasy/paranormal/science fiction, so I'm pretty much the only option there.

Good luck in finding representation!

saturn60148

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just getting into the querying business. For people who've queried Lane, do you know if he responds to all queries?

I'm worried my emails aren't getting through spam filters (I did faithfully follow submission guidelines, but I've had some trouble with my email address), and I didn't receive any automated responses of confirmation, so thought I'd ask the forum.

Thanks!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Have you used QueryTracker? You can often surmise from the comments there how quickly agents are responding. And if you are willing to sign up for the premium service, you can get the stats directly on queries to individual agents (as reported to QT) which gives a lot more detail on what the time lag is between submission and response.

I found the latter useful while querying, especially for the purposes of closing out queries.

ETA: Just checked for him, and the comments don't go back far enough to see any query/response times. The QT data tracker is probably more useful, but I don't subscribe anymore. The most interesting tidbit is that he appears to have requested a partial from WriterPitch.com, according to the most recent commenter.

Last edited:

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just getting into the querying business. For people who've queried Lane, do you know if he responds to all queries?

I'm worried my emails aren't getting through spam filters (I did faithfully follow submission guidelines, but I've had some trouble with my email address), and I didn't receive any automated responses of confirmation, so thought I'd ask the forum.

Thanks!

Hi Saturn,

Lane Heymont here. As you can imagine things have been hectic for me lately, but if you PM your name I can dig through my email to make sure I received your submission.

saturn60148

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the resources guys! And Lane thanks for your response, that's really kind of you to do.

Eltondiva

Effieron Empress
Registered
Reaction score
I have subbed my dark fantasy to Lane on 04/11. I write Weird/Cosmological shorts as well. It's rare to have an agent who likes this genre, so happy to find one! Will update when I get a response. Anyone else subbing that's had an outcome time wise? Please note I am in the UK and therefore the date is 4th November, not April!

Last edited:

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Elton,

Lane Heymont here. SO sorry you haven't received a reply yet! I *thought* I had gotten through all my queries from then, but some do — too often for my liking — fall through the cracks. Can you PM me your name, so I can dig through my inbox to find it? Thanks!