• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Permuted Press

Sgt Spanky

Would one of our resident experts like to give this site and their sample contract a look-see and give us an opinion as to whether or not these guys appear legit or are they just another con job masquerading as an opportunity for new writers?

The site includes a sample contract under the FAQ section.

www.permutedpress.com

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They seem to be a niche publisher specializing in Horror. They pay on net, which is not the best deal for a writer. Although you could do far worse, aim higher.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
They're a small press specializing in horror/dark fantasy, with some name recognition in that community. We got a couple of their books last year for World Fantasy Award consideration--they were attractively designed and nicely produced. Prices aren't out of line, and they're honest about their publishing model (despite the use of the dreaded "traditional") and the fact that most promotion will be up to the author.

I didn't see a sample contract on the site.

- Victoria

Last edited:

DIVINATUM

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They have been very nice to me and to another author I know. They send periodic notices of new anthologies now looking for submissions. -- P.

dabsinfiction

Registered
Reaction score
I read their FAQ and they tell you exactly what to expect from them. I don't see a problem with using them.

They have a forum and a live chat as well... I did one Anthology with them called 'The Undead' They're a good group of people.

Here's the url for the forum if anyone is interested:

http://permutedpress.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=260210974d62d52bf26919aae016bc1d&

I'm glad to have registered here with you folks. I've got a lot of info from the pages of the cooler... Greatly appreciated...

Pat

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
They've recently started getting books into Borders stores and I know people who have bought some there.

They're small press, mainly into post apocalyptic horror with an emphasis on zombies, and as long as you know what you're getting into, they're legit enough. Definitely not scammers.

They've also got some pretty cool anthologies. Don't pay much, but nice product. Check out the cover on this sucker:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934861138/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

(I've got a a story in Volume 2)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

defyalllogic

i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
has anyone worked with them or heard anything new?

Erika_Lindsen

Writing, writing, writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erikabooks.webs.com
I subbed to them during the fall. They are currently closed to unagented submissions. Ultimatley, I was rejected, but "made it to the final round." Communication with them hasn't been the best though. Emails I've sent have gone unanswered.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who pubished a couple of books with them a while back. He seemed happy.

JessicaMeigs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of having my first book published by Permuted, and it's been an absolute dream working with them. Jacob has been great to work with, and correspondence has been fantastic. They've even got a deal with Audible.com now to do audiobooks, alongside their currently partnership with Pocket Books/S&S to reissue certain bestsellers. A new batch of audiobooks is being released on November 22, 2011 (my book included!), and my book will be out shortly thereafter.

Permuted also seems to have a pretty good-sized following; they've really done a great job of building up their reputation as the go-to for post-apocalyptic and zombie lit. :)

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
They're a niche zombie/post apoc publisher. Some of the best zombies books I've read have come from Permuted. (I recommend anything by Kim Paffenroth and Bestial by William Carl.) So has some of the most cliche books I've read.

JP Walters

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to step in and say, for the record, that these guys were the first publisher to pick up "John Dies at the End", which later went on to be published by St. Martin's Press and was made into a feature-length movie set to release next year. So if nothing else, they have good taste!

loki76

Registered
Reaction score
I just signed a trilogy with them and so far they have been great to work with. They do lots of promotion, and are quick to respond to any questions, have audible formats, and great editing.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I have a horror on sub to them and just got an email: New owners. They apologize for the wait, will understand if I want to withdraw the sub, and will be working through the queue.

FYI.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I got a letter like that too. And they now are expanding their operating scope, like Necro Press, other strands of speculative thrill-makers like urban fantasy, weird thrillers, and Lovecroftian horror are welcome now.

JessicaMeigs

Registered
Reaction score
Just an fyi, since someone mentioned the new owners:

I'm currently published with Permuted Press (three books currently in print, three more possibly on the way--we're still working that out), and have been with them through the transition with the new owners. The new guys are great, responsive, and very easy to work with. One of the new owners is Anthony Ziccardi (I might have spelled that wrong), who used to work for Simon & Schuster as Deputy Publisher, and he was also an Associate Publisher at Random House.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
They're still going. An acquaintance of mine has a novel with them and its been shortlisted for a major genre prize. I think people are pretty clear that it is a small press.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of these guys before, but didn't submit because my book falls a little under the 60K mark. Not sure if they would groove on my book either, it's a dark mystery/thriller. I hope they'll let that word count slide a bit. I could always add if they want a revision or something.

Good luck to those who have submitted.