Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #101
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Funny, I keep seeing news stories about grocery shelves wiped out of Hostess snacks, but our local supermarket's shelves were full to bursting with the chromatically eye-watering Hostess packages this morning.

We're a college neighborhood, even.

Then again, even our alderman says we're not so much a neighborhood as an anarcho-syndicate collective.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog

Last edited by Alessandra Kelley; 11-19-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: I can find the quote if needed
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #102
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
Funny, I keep seeing news stories about grocery shelves wiped out of Hostess snacks, but our local supermarket's shelves were full to bursting with the chromatically eye-watering Hostess packages this morning.
Overnight delivery. Go back later today and see what you see.

Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Yep, that's right.

Last night, one auction went over $100 for a box of ten (according to a friend).

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #103
robeiae

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A good piece: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...e-twinkie.html

Some quotes from it:

Quote:
But, while the strike may well have sent Hostess over the edge, the hard truth is that it probably should have gone out of business a long time ago. The company has been steadily losing money, and market share, for years. And its core problem has not been excessively high compensation costs or pension contributions. Its core problem has been that the market for its products changed, but it did not...

But the simple truth is that this kind of failure is endemic to the system—there are always going to be companies that are unable to change in response to the marketplace. And those companies are supposed to go out of business. Not to be too clichéd about it, but this is what creative destruction is all about...

When organized labor represented more than a third of American workers, it was easy for unions to send the message that in agitating for their own interests, union members were also helping improve conditions for workers in general. But as unions have shrunk, and have become increasingly concentrated in the public sector, it’s become easier for people to dismiss them as just another special interest, looking to hold onto perks that no one else gets.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #104
Monkey
Watching Bollywood action scenes.

Monkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can't believe no one's said it yet:

It's not the end of Twinkies. It's the end of CHEAP Twinkies made by Hostess.

Maybe.

Acoustic guitar. This is absolutely beautiful: https://lonneys.bandcamp.com/album/s...sis-in-spheres
Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #105
robeiae

Well, one of the biggest problems Hostess has had for a while now is that its Twinkies weren't cheap.

Personally, I'm reminded of General Motors here...

Government Twinkies?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #106
Monkey
Watching Bollywood action scenes.

Monkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
See, I didn't even know how much Twinkies costed anymore because the last time I bought one was... 1998? 99?

I assumed, though, that they were a couple of bucks and not as "good" as they used to be.

Acoustic guitar. This is absolutely beautiful: https://lonneys.bandcamp.com/album/s...sis-in-spheres
Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #107
kayleamay
I'm on the phone.

kayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskayleamay is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post

Government Twinkies?
I think they have to reclassify sugar as a vegetable first.

Hushpuppy: "When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. When I look too hard it goes away. And when it all goes quiet, I see they are right here. I see that I'm a little piece of a big, big universe and that makes things right. When I die, the scientists of the future, they're gonna find it all. They're gonna know, once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." ~ Beasts of the Southern Wild
kayleamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #108
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Well, one of the biggest problems Hostess has had for a while now is that its Twinkies weren't cheap.

Government Twinkies?
They could change the heart in the logo to a round rainbow-lookin' thingie and declare them "Too Delicious To Fail." Then they could move some of their factories to China and introduce deliciousness to those who have not yet had that experience. Later their Chinese Advanced Technology Center could develop new, tastier rice cakes.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #109
rhymegirl
Falling into Fall

rhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Now I'm hungry for a Twinkie.

It Bloggles the Mind
rhymegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #110
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
i have a recipe.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #111
rhymegirl
Falling into Fall

rhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrhymegirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I heard a DJ on the radio today saying he decided to buy some Twinkies to see how they taste these days. He was disappointed.

Have they really gone downhill in taste? I haven't had one in a long time.

It Bloggles the Mind
rhymegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #112
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well they've agreed to a mediation. No shut down.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #113
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
link

Quote:
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Drain...said he wanted the parties to try one last time to reach agreement. Drain will serve as the mediator at a session scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. Only one day of talks is set for now.

CEO Greg Rayburn said the company needs a final decision on Tuesday...

One hope for the unions and the employees was raised earlier in the day Monday when private equity firm Sun Capital Partners disclosed it wants to buy Hostess as a going concern, including reopening the shuttered factories and continuing union representation of Hostess workers.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #114
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Government Twinkies?
I'm up for government twinkies.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #115
robeiae

Now they're asking for a Bain Capital. Fascinating.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #116
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So... apparently, Sun Capital Partners is run by Twinkie fiends. Hallelujah!

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #117
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Reason does a decent job of lining up all the culprits in Who Killed Hostess? They even mention the high cost of sugar, thanks to tariffs imposed courtesy of the Sugar Lobby.

The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Old 11-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #118
robeiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Reason does a decent job of lining up all the culprits in Who Killed Hostess? They even mention the high cost of sugar, thanks to tariffs imposed courtesy of the Sugar Lobby.
Love the take on Krugman's column.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 PM   #119
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleamay View Post
I think they have to reclassify sugar as a vegetable first.
sugar cane ... sugar beets ... maple trees ... etc

should be a short leap ... let's get on it before we die of twinkie withdrawl syndrome

I KNOW they held off on this until after the election ..

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
PorterStarrByrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #120
Don
All Living is Local

Quote:
Love the take on Krugman's column.
I almost mentioned that but didn't want to bias the members of his fan club...

~ Medievalist
Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #121
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterStarrByrd View Post
sugar cane ... sugar beets ... maple trees ... etc

should be a short leap ... let's get on it before we die of twinkie withdrawl syndrome

I KNOW they held off on this until after the election ..
I once heard a Kellog's presenter vehemently assert that sugar was a nutrient.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #122
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
I once heard a Kellog's presenter vehemently assert that sugar was a nutrient.
Isn't it?

According to Wikipedia
Quote:
A nutrient is a chemical that an organism needs to live and grow or a substance used in an organism's metabolism which must be taken in from its environment.[1] They are used to build and repair tissues, regulate body processes and are converted to and used as energy.
Quote:
Organic nutrients include carbohydrates, fats, proteins (or their building blocks, amino acids), and vitamins.
(Underlining mine.)

Sugar is a carbohydrate, so by this definition at least, it is a nutrient.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 AM   #123
sulong
It's a matter of what is.

sulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admirationsulong has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulong View Post
Sadly, no matter what happens to this company and their employees, someone, somewhere, will always make twinkies. They're too good of sellers to just go away.
Seems to be turning into a feeding frenzy for Twinkies.

Quote:
(Reuters) - Hostess Brands Inc, the bankrupt Twinkie and Wonder Bread maker, has received bids for assets being sold by about two dozen parties including Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT) and Kroger Co (KR), according to a media report on Thursday.
Some of the bidders are interested in acquiring all of the Hostess assets, while others are just focused on its cake or breads businesses, said the report by Bloomberg, which cited a person familiar with the matter.