Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
No, it's generally based on the length. More word count = more pages = larger cover stock and quantity of paper = higher list price. :) Short category romances sell for less than the HQN line, because they're normally 100K and over, versus the 75-90K of the short category novels. Although, in some cases, they'll raise the list price on a REALLY popular author because they know people will pay it. Nora Roberts could command a higher price than, say, Jane Smith's debut novel.

But normally it's based on the size.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cathy :)

I didn't realize until after I sent you that question that you are probably going back to working on a wip.

I appreciate your time.

Cheers, Josie

CweeTrix

Registered
Reaction score
Hi..

I tried the Avon/Harper Collins link and the page wasn't found?

Could you advise, please?

Thank you!

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Did you mean the website I gave doesn't work? It does for me...
or do you mean the email address doesn't work?

If you don't see it, look at the very bottom I think and it's there.

Or was the email address rejected when you sent an equery?

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Sexy Paranormal Mystery

Most of the major publishers have a paranormal line (suspense is often implied...) In this month's Romantic Times, the following publishers have books in the paranormal romance review section:

Berkley Sensation
Jove (a Berkley imprint)
Ballantine (which reminds me--I don't have a spot for them on the list. I'll look around)
Zebra
Love Spell (a Dorchester imprint)
Leisure (a Dorchester imprint)
Brava (a Kensington imprint)
Avon
Pocket
Tor
Triskelion
Ace

Mine would probably be considered "sexy paranormal mystery". Would any of the above publish something like that?

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to be stupid but

does "sexy paranormal mystery" mean romance also? somehow your term maybe should have romance, I think.

Cathy C. would know best.

I was rejected (what's new) from Kensington because there wasn't enough romance in my paranormal mystery and I called it a paranormal mystery romance. It was heavy on the mystery.

:)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Berkley Prime Crime does a lot of paranormal mysteries---sexy and not. I'd try them. But you need to CALL it a paranormal mystery when you query an agent (Berkley is agented only.)

CweeTrix

Registered
Reaction score
Did you mean the website I gave doesn't work? It does for me...
or do you mean the email address doesn't work?

If you don't see it, look at the very bottom I think and it's there.

Or was the email address rejected when you sent an equery?

When I click the given link below the Avon/Harper Collins heading - towards the top on the first page to read up on their guidelines.. it says, 'Sorry, page not found...'

??

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
Cweetrix:

Great! I'm so glad I sent you the right website for guidelines
and submissions.

Good Luck.

Cheers Judi :)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Cathy, I was wondering if you might know who was appropriet for a paranormal thriller with heavy romance. It's basically a werewolf story. The romance element is about 50% of the storyline.

Tri

Have you tried the Tor line yet? 50% is about what they're looking for (which is why we have a happy home there! :) )

Canadian_Linz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the list, Cathy C. I have a question. Did Woman's World change the guidelines for the short romances? Didn't the word count used to be 1100 words? Thanks.

Patricia Jeanne

I'm new to this community and have appreciated the postings and learned much. Has anyone here published with The Wild Rose Press? They have accepted a rosette of mine approximately 3,000 words for the Vintage Line. I'd appreciate knowing what anyone's experiences have been with TWRP. And I believe the word count for Woman's World fiction is now 900 words as of 2 yrs. ago. Hope this helps the writer who asked the question. Thanks for any help. Pat

Patricia Jeanne

Thank you so much, Jersey Chick, for the helpful link to the discussion on WRP and thanks also for the congrats. I live over the river in Phila.

boobey1

Registered
Reaction score
Relocated to Mobile, AL from Tampa, Florida.
Any suggestions????

I can appreciate the fact that Publishers prefer submissions made by agents. But what do you do when you have no agent? That is my delima. I recently completed my first novel and I have no agent. I welcome suggestions.

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
There, for one, is loads of information at

eharlequin.com

Depends what you've written. A lot of women's fiction/romance publishers don't need you to have an agent.

And last but certainly not least :::
Look at the top here for the list of publishers Cathy has kindly put on this thread Romance/Women's Fiction.

Hope that helps. Argh I'm procrastinating, kick me :whip: oh yes the whip is good.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Hi Cathy! I wanted to pass this publisher along your way for the list, if you see fit: Triple Crown Publications (http://www.triplecrownpublications.com/index.php). They're based out of Columbus, and are fairly small... however, they get their books into Big Chain Bookstores. Their specialty is gritty hip-hop urban fiction, and I can tell you that at the Big Chain Bookstore where I work, we can't keep their stuff in stock. It's HUGELY popular.

While I realize it doesn't fit the mold of traditional romance novels, much of their line is "urban romance" -- it's a market that's been pretty much ignored in the publishing industry until recently. As I mentioned, though, it's huge.

They also work heavily with bookstores and authors to do promotional events, and they push their authors heavily with radio and tv spots that reach their target demographic. I've met several of their authors, and they all seem really pleased with TCP.