Romance Novel Cover - No People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I really struggle with putting images of people on my book covers. Granted, I've only done one cover so far but I really love it, have gotten a lot of comments on it, and I think it fits the story.

So for my new WIP (43,000/55,000 words), I need to come up with a cover style that I can use for the other three books in the series that will follow it.

I'm thinking about having a basic design and then putting two images that deal with the story line on the front. So the books look similar.

My book is a Christian Romance but there is some mystery/suspense through the whole thing.

The main character is a police officer and so I want one of the images to be bullets scattered and then the other character is a photographer and I want to use a photograph of Texas bluebonnets because it's mentioned in the book and given as a gift in the end.

Does that work? Or do I absolutely need people?

Thoughts?

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts! I think the same, but have been told by several people that if I don't have a person on the cover, I may not get the sales. I think I may try to work up at least three of the four covers just to see how the series looks together.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
And of course the images on the front will make sense as you read the book, for sure. I'm hoping it won't seem too out of place when it comes to choosing the book in the first place, though.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My book is a Christian Romance but there is some mystery/suspense through the whole thing.

The main character is a police officer and so I want one of the images to be bullets scattered and then the other character is a photographer and I want to use a photograph of Texas bluebonnets because it's mentioned in the book and given as a gift in the end.

Does that work? Or do I absolutely need people?

Thoughts?
This could work. Maybe add something to emphasize the Christian connection, such as a crucifix necklace? (Just reaching for things.)

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
This could work. Maybe add something to emphasize the Christian connection, such as a crucifix necklace? (Just reaching for things.)

I added a couple of small hearts to the logo that will be on the cover of each book to make sure the idea of a romance novel is there.

I don't have anything on there to make it obviously Christian. I will probably put it on the spine like I did my first and then note it when it's for sale. Not sure how to put something in to show it's Christian. Will have to think about that!

Okay, I'll post what I have so far. I need to take my own photos of bullets but need natural light so will do that tomorrow. These are just stock photo samples so I could play with the cover layout tonight.

Last edited:

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should ditch the bullets and just stay with the photo. Is it too much with the compass at the top, too?

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Or just scrap the whole thing? LOL I like everything from the title up, just not sure about the bottom.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
A little too much going on for me. Compass. Flowers. Bullets.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps make one of the three images stand out. Try that, see what happens. Maybe a bigger flower image. Some bullets growing or something. Are you set on these three? Flowers, bullets and compass?

Right now the three images don't connect. They are three separate ideas. Maybe a frame of bullets.

Last edited:

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
The only one I'm set on is the compass.

I actually toyed with the idea of having the book titles going around the compass and the series name in simple text across the top. But I couldn't seem to get the flow right. But yeah, the compass is the only thing I'm sold on. I'm not even sure about the background.

I originally was going to do a map at about a 40% opacity for the entire background but I can't find one I'm happy with. I was also afraid if I did that and no image changes, that the books in the series might look too much alike.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe use bullets for the hands of the compass?

ps: you might get a lot more help/ input in the art and design thread.

Have you tried to make a huge compass?

Last edited:

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe use bullets for the hands of the compass?

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. I suppose I could customize the compass to match a theme in each book. I hadn't thought of that. Because the bullets definitely wouldn't fit in any of the other books in the series. I'll have to think about that one. Thank you!

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Dallionz you have too many elements scattered about the cover that detract from it. I do my own covers for my self-publishing so I know what a hairy pain in the butt it is, but here are a few tips to help you pull the idea from your head together to your book cover.

First- check out what does NOT work. Check out some of the catty websites where they make fun of bad romance covers and read the comments, see what about that particular cover didn't work. It won't always apply to your cover, but it does help to set up a bit of a background knowledge of cover design.

http://wtfbadromancecovers.tumblr.com/
http://awkromancecovers.tumblr.com/
http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinlarosa/things-fabios-really-thinking-on-his-romance-novel-covers#3vmbs8c

Second- Look at covers that DO work. Go to Amazon and take a look at the top 100 best sellers in Christian Romance. Usually you'll begin to see a 'theme' the more covers you look at and it can also give you an idea of what is popular and how the covers are composed.

Third- Consider hiring a cover artist. You can get a decent cover for under fifty bucks. The few self-pub covers that I've farmed out to cover artists usually run me 100-150 but that's because I'm picky as shit (Amber Moon was done by a cover artist I hired) and these cover artists are experienced and well established, something worth the extra money to me.

Your cover is your first, and some would argue, and best marketing tool for your book. Honestly, if your cover sucks people are less likely to take a look at it because they believe the quality of the cover reflects the quality of the book. Think of how many times you've picked up a book because you loved the cover, or how many times you've seen a crappy cover and passed. You're entering a very competitive market right now with a ton of new books being published every day. You need every advantage you can get to make the thumbnail of your book stand out. ;)

If you decide to look into a cover artist I can recommend a few. At the very least having your first cover professionally done will give you the experience of working with a professional artist and you may be able to learn a thing or two about how you want your covers done.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I don't mind the overall layout, but I don't like the picture at all, and I'm not sure I like how it's integrated into the cover either. I'd lose the bullets as well.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback and suggestions, Ann. You're right. I thought about it last night and when I woke up this morning, I decided it was WAY too busy. Okay, back to the drawing board. I am going to keep the compass, though! Just need to figure out what I want to do with it.

I will check out the links you posted and browse Amazon some today.

Oh, and technically this is my second cover. I do think my first cover worked really well and I put it together myself. I would rather not hire someone as I'm struggling with money and if I'm going to hire someone, it'll likely be an editor (I haven't even gotten my first royalty check yet, will get that in October). But I do realize how important it is for the cover to look professional and draw people in!

Thank you again!!!

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
First- check out what does NOT work. Check out some of the catty websites where they make fun of bad romance covers and read the comments, see what about that particular cover didn't work.

Check out http://covercafe.com as well. They run an annual contest of romance novel covers, and there's always a "Worst" category.

This cover didn't work for me because of the picture of the bluebonnets. As LJD said, it doesn't seem well-integrated into the cover, and all the different elements make the cover look like a page from a scrapbook. Though I did google "heart-shaped compass" and get some pretty results...

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Check out http://covercafe.com as well. They run an annual contest of romance novel covers, and there's always a "Worst" category.

This cover didn't work for me because of the picture of the bluebonnets. As LJD said, it doesn't seem well-integrated into the cover, and all the different elements make the cover look like a page from a scrapbook. Though I did google "heart-shaped compass" and get some pretty results...

Thank you again!

Okay so I went and looked at heart compasses on Etsy and found a beautiful, vintage, heart compass necklace.

Brainstorming today to see how I could use it on the cover of each but not have the covers look identical. Series covers are so much harder than a stand-alone book.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all again. By George, I've got it! ;-) Will share when it all comes together. Thank you again!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you re going with objects I would suggest printing out the picture, getting some bullets or some other item and putting them on top and taking a picture of that. Otherwise it has the quality of flat clip art.

.303 Bookworm

psst... say "moosey fate"
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking bullets might not be an ideal visual to combine with a tranquil field of flowers and the words Finding Peace.

.303 Bookworm

psst... say "moosey fate"
Registered
Reaction score
Finding Peace, subtitled "and putting a cap in its ass". ;)

I just keep thinking of that ad Don Draper pitched with the deserted beach, the pile of discarded clothes, and the tagline "Hawaii: The Jumping Off Point." Basically, I'm the guy who immediately jumped to "Wait, isn't that the ending of A Star Is Born?"

Status
Not open for further replies.