Reaction score
The Poisonwood Bible
and
Affliction

These Mean Streets

We Could Be Heroes
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of reading The Sapphire Throne by David Eddings. I don't think I'll finish it. Eddings's style doesn't work for me. I might discard it to read I, Claudius.
David Eddings is one of those authors I devoured as a kid, but there's no way in hell I could read his books today.

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Finishing The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, I loved his Nursery Crime series so I figured it was time I went back to the series that made him famous. I finished Alanna: The First Adventure last night, another reread, I needed some cheer :).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Rereading The Neverending Story. I forgot how much detail was left out of the movie, much as I love it.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Finished Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick which started a bit slow for me. I was able to hang in there long enough to have it catch.

Now I'm starting Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey.

For the first time in a long while I've had to put a book down before finishing. I really wanted to like this book.

Her writing was lovely but I found myself reading passages and then realizing that I had not retained one bit of it. My eyes sort of glazed over the words. Frankly, it exhausted me and when I sat one night staring at the book dreading picking it up to keep reading, I knew it was time to put it away. I didn't think I could go through the whole book with being exhausted from reading her.

Maybe I'll try again later in the future. Right now, it's a no-go.

So I've picked up Ganymede by Cherie Priest.

Sort of reading The Sapphire Throne by David Eddings. I don't think I'll finish it. Eddings's style doesn't work for me. I might discard it to read I, Claudius.

The Diamond Throne? Or The Sapphire Rose?

I read the first book (The Diamond Throne) in The Elenium and loved it. It wasn't challenging reading but it was fun. Everyone was perfect. The heroes were perfect. The villains were villainously perfect. The supporting characters were perfect. Very much popcorn reading for me. The next on the series is on my TBR list but he can get to be a bit too much for me in one sitting.

Last edited:

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Second Foundation, Asimov.

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
Finished 'The Mysterious Island' by Jules Verne last week.
I finished up two old short stories that I'd been wanting to read for a while this week -
'Doubled and Redoubled' by Malcolm Jameson &
'The Gnarly Man' by L. Sprague de Camp. Great shorts from the pulp era.

I'm currently reading 'The Mystic Mullah' by Kenneth Robeson on my NOOK.

Adrian

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Picked up "In the Hands of the Goddess" by Tamora Pierce and realized, I didn't think I was too interested in re-reading the entire series. So I put it down again and decided to continue on with the Thursday Next series and "Lost in a Good Book" by Jasper Fforde, all I can say is WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN TURNED INTO A TV SERIES?!

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
The Harbour, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I found the translation of his Let The Right One In quite clumsy and anachronistic in parts, but this one is a lovely smooth read so far and very eerie. I'm excited.

Reaction score
Finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on Monday. I think I was actually close to tears at the ending. :(

Now reading Harry Connolly's Child of Fire, I'm already about 80% through it.