Something that came up in writing,

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Is it possible to write a story that's meant for adults, that is about a middle grade protagonist, that appeals to a middle grade student? As a bit circular as they may appear.

I've sort of started what I used to do again, which is that it's about a middle grade age group protagonist. Yet doesn't really have that sense of adventure you might find in middle grade. (If anyone remembers the song Go On A Bear Hunt.)

I've now finished a few short stories that I'm not sure where to send them to on a place at the grinder, because I'm not even sure if its adult fiction or middle grade. There are a few stories I have in mind. White Night Flower is one of them. Emelie's Train, Murals Of Tress, and Hannah Of May are other ones I have in mind at the moment. I have others, but those are YA.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I did the rounds with a story meant for adults, but with a middle grade protagonist and told in the sort of language used in traditional middle grade adventure stories. Some markets criticised it as being as a children's story. One market bought it (I sold it to Dagan Books 'Fish' anthology).

I've also sold some young adult work to adult markets.

You never really know what will sell and where. But do brace yourself for some potentially harsh rejections if a place decides it's for the wrong age group.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the kind of story it is, but of course it's possible. I sold a short story to Sports Afield, a top outdoor magazine for adults. I think that was my first thousand dollar short story sale. I then sold that same story to Cricket, a magazine for kids. I've done the same with several other stories.

I don't know if it matters, but I write these stories intentionally, meaning I'm aiming at both markets during the writing process. The adult angle is to write the story in a way that adults can relate to it, can go back to when they were the age of the protagonist. This means using a subject that won't make adults think the story is just for kids.

The kid angle is to find a subject that appeals to adults, but that kids might encounter at any time.

It can be a tricky balance, but if you can pull it off, it's wonderful. It means more sales, a bigger readership, and a niche that many editors want, but that few writers can deliver.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
What I always finds helps me is to just expand your knowledge, read more books and articles on what you may want to write about and do your own research and gather some personal experiences, and just decide what you want to choose and leave out. It may take some time to complete and go over and edit, but just be patient and I am sure you will get there. Good luck!

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I write short mysteries, two series. My first series featured a twelve-year old boy who solved a murder. Now knowing just that much it sounds like a story for kids. Nope, it wasn't. It was written for and intended for adult audiences and I sold it to AHMM. Several more followed and the kid slowly grew up; he's sixteen in his last published story.

I have had friends say, though, oh you write for kids. Well kids can read my stories, but the stories feature graphic murders and very adult topics. I was a teacher for 35 years, and never told my students I wrote, and was published, until the final month of the school year. All the same, some parents would find out and buy some of my stories for their kids to read. (I'd always give a disclaimer if a parent asked me about them: I write for adults.)

Anyhow, I don't know how helpful this is to you. In some areas it would be hard to market a story written for adults with a child or young protagonist. Perhaps in the mystery field it's more accepted.

Last edited:

Russian

Registered
Reaction score
Appealing to grade school children and adults is going to be difficult. Unless you're writing something on a Harry Potter level, I think it's going to be a challenge. Even Hunger Games and Twilight focused on high school aged students.

I think you would have to create separate intertwined story lines: one for adults, one for grade school students. Of hand, I could imagine a divorce or re-marriage with children on both sides being fodder for a good story. The issue is balancing compelling, realistic drama against maintaining language and subject matter appropriate material for children. Having said that, it's hard to argue that Hunger Games is age appropriate subject matter for its younger fan base.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ender's Game was a short story, and a novel, that appealed hugely to kids and to adults. It might be a good model.

Status
Not open for further replies.