Edits before publication

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckenWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I recently sold my first short story and I just got the "suggested edits." It seems like so many changes. Not plot points, just prose, but the edits to the prose are substantial enough that I feel like the story is not even in my voice anymore. Plus there is one important line that the editor totally changed to something he wrote, and I hate it.

Since this is my first accepted story, I don't have the experience to know:
  • Is this normal? Usually when you get edits after signing a contract, how many changes are there? I'm not talking about actual grammar errors.
  • Do I have to accept all of them? I mean, I understand I could pull the story, but if I still want it published and I am willing to accept most of the changes, is it normal/acceptable to want to keep a few things as they are?

Thanks.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a short story changed that much, but from novel edits I can suggest this: take a deep breath, and try the changes. Read the story afterwards, and see if they really hurt your voice as much as you're afraid they will.

And yes, if there are changes that you really, really object to, you can explain your thinking to the editor. But pick your battles--if you're amenable to most of their edits, they'll be more likely to listen when you have one or two things you want to keep as is.

If you really can't live with the changes, pull the story. But if this is a reputable magazine with experienced editors, they just might know what they're doing.

Best of luck with it, whatever happens.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
You can reject changes and that's perfectly normal. I've rejected a few wording ones, where it's taking it outside my voice. Or provided an alternative instead. If they reworded because they thought it was confusing, I can find another way to say it as I would say it. Generally though, I'd say editing for shorts tends to be on the light side. There are so many writers submitting to the major markets that they don't need to take on a story that needs a lot of work. They can take one that's pretty much there.

BeckenWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Marlys and Polenth. I don't want to sound like I can't handle making any changes - about 80-90% of what the editor sent me I can happily accept. There is just SO much, and I was under the impression it would be very light edits at this point. I'm hoping since I accepted a lot I can get away with rejecting the ones I really hate.

I wouldn't say this is a "major market" but it's a semi-pro publication that has been around a while, so I know the editor probably knows a thing or two. But I want to be able to proudly say "I wrote this story" and have that feel accurate. :(

Kris Ashton

Lurking in the Shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kris-ashton.wix.com
Don't be afraid to push back on suggested edits, but make sure you have a good explanation as to *why* you don't think a certain change should be made. If you can't come up with one, and you just "feel" the way you wrote it is better, there's a good chance the editor is right.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
How many changes an editor requests is purely a matter of how many change she thinks a story needs. I've never had any changes requested after signing a contract.

I had one editor ask for a different ending to a story, and another ask that a story be shortened because mine was above their maximum guideline length, but both of these happened before I signed the contract.

Novels have many changes after a contract is signed, but my experience is that editors usually ask for changes in a short story before signing a contract. They want it right before they actually buy it.

But an editor asking for quite a few changes is not unusual.

How many changes to accept is up to you, but there has to be give and take. A good editor tries to make the story as good as it can possibly be, and my experience is that editors are usually right.

But it's you story, and yu have to be happy with the final product, or what's the point of having it published. Accept the changes you can live with, and talk to the editor about the ones you really don't like.

MatthewWuertz

shadow magic, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwuertz.com
I would focus on the line that you hate and ask about it. Find out why it was changed and then make your own suggestion.

As to everything else, if it's really bothersome, you could ask about them as well. But as someone else said, it is a give and take sort of thing. Editors edit; good ones will push for changes beyond punctuation (if they're warranted).

Really, though, this is just up to you. I can say that such edits could be perfectly normal, but that still doesn't mean they're fine for you. And plus, if you can change the line you hate to something you wrote, maybe you'll feel better about the other changes. But the most important thing is to communicate with the editor and then figure out what to do based on those responses.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The one thing I will say is that, barring typos, no editor ever rewrites one of my sentences. Period. An editor can, with my permission, tighten a story by removing a sentence or even a paragraph, but no editor is allowed to add a sentence or paragraph, ever. Period.

There's a huge difference between an editor asking for changes, asking for a sentence of paragraph to be rewritten, and having an editor just do it himself. Making such changes is pretty common in nonfiction, but no good fiction editor takes it upon himself to rewrite anything without asking.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
My approach is that any little formatting or house style thing, I will accept. Any substantial thing I disagree with, I STET. 99% of the time, they just accept the STET. Sometimes there is more of a discussion before reaching a mutually agreeable solution.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My approach is that any little formatting or house style thing, I will accept. Any substantial thing I disagree with, I STET. 99% of the time, they just accept the STET. Sometimes there is more of a discussion before reaching a mutually agreeable solution.

My experience is that many new writers are afraid to STET, afraid to challenge the editor in any way. This, I think, is the problem.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I've never had changes to my stories either, after I've signed the contract. In the contract it will state this is what they are buying and I - the writer - am not to change anything, add anything or delete anything.

(Let me explain that further: I submit a paper copy. They buy it. Then they ask me to send a digital copy, usually in word doc or similar.)

Before signing, I have been asked to: change a final ending, which I didn't. And at another time, to correct some mistakes I made about geography, which I did.

After signing, no changes were allowed. By anyone.

Bolder

Registered
Reaction score
Is it a pro mag? If not, then don't do it. Not even worth it as a credit, let alone to worry about it not being in your voice. I have a few token markets as well, and if anyone told me to change the story around or edit the whole thing again I would just say take a hike, not like i'm getting paid for all that work.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I usually get edits in an MS Word document and what I do is look at the final version without markup. That way I can read the story as the editor suggests rather than comparing my version with theirs. If I trip over something, I know it's a problem. If not, I don't get precious about it.

It's your story and it's going out under your byline. It's your right to discuss with the editor what changes you're unwilling to make. It may be that you can compromise on something that achieves what the editor's seeking but is done your way.

I remember a story at GUD where it took the author and three editors to fix one line.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
It's normal, Ive seen and heard it happen a lot especially among friends and some similar experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.