Middle East Landmarks destroyed

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...d=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk3&pLid=507080

The militant group ISIS is continuing its rampage of holy places by destroying the tomb of Jonah, a place thought to be the burial site of the prophet believed by Abrahamic faiths to have been swallowed by a whale or fish.

The story goes on to say that they've bulldozed or demolished (with dynamite) Daniel's tomb, along with shrines, mosques, and holy sites/pilgrimages dedicated to the same form of Islam they purport to follow themselves.

I know the loss of life is far worse than the loss of places, but it's still worth noting.

These are ancient, historically significant pieces of culture that can never be reclaimed or restored to their former state. The Taliban did the same thing when they destroyed sites in Afghanistan, including an ancient Buddha carved into one of the mountains there.

It's always sad to see something so old - something that had been protected and maintained for so long - destroyed.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Two ancient Buddhas.

And I take some solace that it was the destruction of those two gigantic ancient statues on the Silk Road that got the world paying attention to the Taliban's violent ways, the brutal repression and public execution of educated women apparently not being enough.

This is sad and atrocious.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine who's Hindu says it's incredible how much has been destroyed in Afghanistan - pretty much any trace of Hindu or Buddhist culture from around there. Some Islamist groups seem as bad as the Roman church or Maoist China for attempting to raze the history of any predecessor.
And yes, I think it's appalling.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I hate hearing about/seeing this sort of thing. Such terrible losses, whether one takes stock in faith or history (or both).

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There is a very cynical, somewhat optimist thought bouncing in my head.

Why are they destroying their own religious historic sites?

The story of Jonah and Daniel is a part of Islam.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
many fundamentalist branches of islam prohibit graven images.

this is why wackos want to kill over cartoons.

it's also why my mohammad-face pot holder business on etsy never took off.