Rejectomancy

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I'm sitting on a big old pile of crickets at the moment. Need to get writing some more stories so I can send more out. Otherwise I feel like I'm not doing anything.

Me too. I set myself what seemed like entirely reasonable writing goals for November and have yet to achieve any of them.

Hugs to all with recent rejections. Actually hugs to everyone who has ever had a rejection. Why not? :)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
2 day R from Untied Shoelaces... have to say that as much as the guy's responses amuse me, there is something a little smug in them and frankly, I'm starting to think unprofessional.

Also, a story he didn't even read because it was "in second person" has nearly made it now at the next two markets I sent, which although isn't an acceptance, it's a long way from "i'm not reading this." Rant done. Grrr.

I personally really like second-person stories. Good luck finding a home for yours!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I personally really like second-person stories. Good luck finding a home for yours!

Me too. I find when it's good, it's really good. Like in The Damned United by David Peace.

I've written two shorts with it and also one of the narratives in my novel is in it too. It comes quite natural to me and can't get my head around why anyone would object to it?

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Me too. I find when it's good, it's really good. Like in The Damned United by David Peace.

I've written two shorts with it and also one of the narratives in my novel is in it too. It comes quite natural to me and can't get my head around why anyone would object to it?

I'll have to check out The Damned United. I have a short story that I recently wrote in second person. I like it because I think it creates an immediate bond between the reader and the main character, but some people find the narrator talking directly to 'them' to be distracting.

To keep this thread on topic, today was a two-day rejection, one in the morning, one in the evening, one by e-mail and the other by post. I actually kind of like days like these, as I feel like I must be really getting my stuff out there for me to get two rejections in a day.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I actually kind of like days like these, as I feel like I must be really getting my stuff out there for me to get two rejections in a day.

I know that feeling. After my bumber 5 rejections last week, I've only had one this week and I feel like nothing is happening, even though I got a middling it.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
There, I've gotten my official R from Pedestal for the October issue. Now can send one in for the Spec Fic issue.

Ha! I recently received my rejection, too. Did they say "thanks for submitting your fiction..."? That kinda bugged me that they couldn't say the title of the piece.

And finally got around to withdrawing my submission from White Cat, which I now feel better about. (honestly, I give those guys a year, maybe a year and a half, before they go tits up)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And finally got around to withdrawing my submission from White Cat, which I now feel better about. (honestly, I give those guys a year, maybe a year and a half, before they go tits up)

I recently "spoke" with the editor of White Cat through e-mail. He's been crazy busy with his pursuit of legal action against a plagiarist (some details about this case are posted on whitecatpublications.com) - this has caused him to spend a lot of time traveling, spend a lot of money on the matter and, regretfully, neglect his fledgling magazine.

He promptly paid the money that was owed me for the story that appeared in the October issue (and indeed threw in a few extra bucks to cover the PayPal fees and make up for the delay). I think he's a good guy who's in a bit over his head at the moment and genuinely hope that he wins his case and will be able to dedicate his full attention to White Cat Publications soon.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I recently "spoke" with the editor of White Cat through e-mail. He's been crazy busy with his pursuit of legal action against a plagiarist (some details about this case are posted on whitecatpublications.com) - this has caused him to spend a lot of time traveling, spend a lot of money on the matter and, regretfully, neglect his fledgling magazine.

He promptly paid the money that was owed me for the story that appeared in the October issue (and indeed threw in a few extra bucks to cover the PayPal fees and make up for the delay). I think he's a good guy who's in a bit over his head at the moment and genuinely hope that he wins his case and will be able to dedicate his full attention to White Cat Publications soon.
I don't understand why he started a magazine if he's busy with this case right now. I'm sure he's a good guy, but even good people do stupid things, and I wished he'd taken care of his personal businesses before embarking on epublishing. At the moment, I have no confidence in the magazine.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure he started the magazine before he found out that he'd been plagiarized. In either case, I'm not making excuses - submissions and queries *should* be responded to in a timely fashion - I just sympathize with what he's going through.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
oh man, the minute I read 'plagarized' I wondered if it was Boyer. That's a quagmire for sure.

I'm crickets, btw, sigh.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
Just got a personal reject from Ray Gun Revival - I think he didn't like my story ;)

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
So here's the standard rejection I've received from Asimov's for the past two years:

Thank you very much for letting us see "Multiple Titles." We appreciate your taking the time to send it in for our consideration. Although it does not suit the needs of the magazine at this time, we wish you luck with placing it elsewhere.

Please excuse this form letter. The volume of work has unfortunately made it impossible for us to respond to each submission individually, much as we’d like to do so.

And here's the one I received yesterday:

Thank you for letting me see "Like Clockwork." The story is nicely done, but I’m afraid it's not quite right for me. I look forward to your next one, though.

I think I've leveled up. Yahoo!

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Nice one Milo :) I've only ever had form R's from Asimovs apart from one incredibly long and detailed personal which I printed out and stuck on my wall. That felt almost as good as a sale.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
The lovely good personal rejections keep coming, (still no acceptances though!!) just had a really amazing one saying that the story reminded the reader of M.R. James which is about the highest compliment you can pay a ghost story. :) :)

One acceptance before new year would be nice though...

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
wow, rejection city! three more since that last one. four in 12 hours. A new record?

Interestingly, one of them was from a market I bought every copy (5) of before submitting. I have now submitted 3 times, twice having written with this market specifically in mind. The outcome: 3 forms. The lesson? Even knowing my market can't help my stupid stories get published!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Milo, Yay!!! Levelled up on Asimov!!! Well cool :D

(((((Deadlight)))))
It's horrible when loads come together, isn't it?
It had been 17 days since I got an R, and I got a form from Ideomancer today, so I expect the rest aren't far behind. :(

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
wow, rejection city! three more since that last one. four in 12 hours. A new record?

Interestingly, one of them was from a market I bought every copy (5) of before submitting. I have now submitted 3 times, twice having written with this market specifically in mind. The outcome: 3 forms. The lesson? Even knowing my market can't help my stupid stories get published!

Sorry about the R's but don't get discouraged.

My favorite market is Daily Science Fiction. I've been reading them since the day they opened (Sep 1, 2010) and think I have a really good idea of what they like/accept. Even so, it took me nearly a dozen submissions before one of them resulted in a sale.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and speaking of which, a 23-day rejection for round 2 story at DSF just landed in my mail box as I was writing this. Gotta figure out where else I can send a tiny flash story that's more humor than SF.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys - another personal from Shimmer, so that's five in 24 hours! Bam, bam, bam! Ouch.

Nothing inspires me NOT to write my novel that short story rejections. Ho hum, work to be done.