Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've been using Duotrope for a couple of years. I like its database, its ease of cataloging my own subs, and especially the way it indicates when it might be time to nudge.

However, I'm not married to it and if the Grinder is almost as good, I'll ditch Duotrope. I simply want an accessible list of markets and ease of tracking my work. Shorts are how I relax between full-length novels, so anything that doesn't make more work for me is a winner.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
$5 is a bargain in aggravation-free submitting.

aggravation-free submitting. gerund modified by compound adj. Fantasized to express a fictional concept supposed to exist in the world of publishing, unconnected with observable reality. See also unicorn, Santa Claus, tooth fairy.

-- Blacbird's Unabridged Dictionary, 2014 ed.

caw

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to use Writer's Market more than anything. I also find a lot of brand new markets in writing magazines, usually before they hit such places as Duotrope or The Grinder. Getting there first is always a big advantage.

Duotrope is, I think, ridiculously cheap, and an investment in your business. It seems odd to me that so many refuse to invest such a tiny, tiny amount of money in what is a business. I suspect The Grinder will also learn over time that nothing is free, and donations are, at best, spotty.

But all such databases should just be a starting point.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
When Duotrope was free, I was happy to voluntarily donate $2 a month. When they switched to demanding $5, it was a bit much.

I like Grinder, but haven't been doing my part lately. Need to finish putting my submission history in there.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I've just gotten into submitting to magazines/journals 'properly' and I used The Grinder to have a look for a few suitable publications. It was good, but how does everyone swear by these databases? Do you not, after a while, you just remember certain publications to submit to or am I missing something?

Why such a concentration on who gets accepted and rejected? Surely if the story fits with an issue, it fits and has little to do with the rejection/acceptance trends?

Outofcontext

Registered
Reaction score
The acceptance / rejection rate for either The Grinder or Duotrope is interesting information, but doesn't influence whether or not I submit to a given publication. The response data is more valuable, but only in that it gives me a general idea of how long I may have to wait for a response. Both sites are helpful in finding suitable publications, but then again, there are plenty of online literary directories that do the same with more detail.

OoC

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I've just gotten into submitting to magazines/journals 'properly' and I used The Grinder to have a look for a few suitable publications. It was good, but how does everyone swear by these databases? Do you not, after a while, you just remember certain publications to submit to or am I missing something?

I use the Grinder to look for new publications and anthologies. Check the "Recently Added Markets" tab. There's usually a handful of new markets every week.

Why such a concentration on who gets accepted and rejected? Surely if the story fits with an issue, it fits and has little to do with the rejection/acceptance trends?

I don't care as much about acceptation/rejection rates, as response time. All else being equal I will submit to a ~10 day market first before a 100+ day market.

imjustj

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to Duotrope and I LOVE IT!

I had four submissions last week and three were discovered through Duotrope. I have also created a healthy list of upcoming deadlines to work towards.

Their submission tracker is just grand. :)

IMHO, it is well worth the subscription price.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I use the Grinder to look for new publications and anthologies. Check the "Recently Added Markets" tab. There's usually a handful of new markets every week.

I don't care as much about acceptation/rejection rates, as response time. All else being equal I will submit to a ~10 day market first before a 100+ day market.

Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense. I'll try it out again some other time, looking at that feature. I guess you don't really fully know until you send off to the publication yourself! I guess I'll learn when I start getting into it :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Have you looked at the Grinder? It's free.
I'd never heard of it until now. I'll have to check it out and do some comparisons between the two.
aggravation-free submitting. gerund modified by compound adj. Fantasized to express a fictional concept supposed to exist in the world of publishing, unconnected with observable reality. See also unicorn, Santa Claus, tooth fairy.

-- Blacbird's Unabridged Dictionary, 2014 ed.

caw
You remind me of the L'il Abner character that walked around with a perpetual dark cloud hanging over his head.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never heard of it until now. I'll have to check it out and do some comparisons between the two.

You remind me of the L'il Abner character that walked around with a perpetual dark cloud hanging over his head.
Joe Btfsplk.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
The guys doing The Grinder are responsive to feedback and keep making improvements. A few weeks ago they added a tab where you can check recent response times from markets you have work at with one click. It also gives automatic updates on opened and closed status for markets you're watching.

dachshund

Small Barking Dog
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Mxyzptlk.

I still use Duotrope and like it pretty well. I guess I could switch to the Grinder, but it feels like a hassle to dump hundreds of submissions over there. Unless there's some mass uploader tool. That and I'm just comfortable with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Mxyzptlk

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all for the info regarding The Grinder. When Duotrope started charging, I died a little inside. But I get it. They have bills to pay.

Steve Coate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coaterack.blogspot.com
Mr. Mxyzptlk.

I still use Duotrope and like it pretty well. I guess I could switch to the Grinder, but it feels like a hassle to dump hundreds of submissions over there. Unless there's some mass uploader tool. That and I'm just comfortable with it.

They have an import function that will move your list into their system for you.

snowpea

Registered
Reaction score
Grinder is better for my needs... And research through various sources. But I tried Duotrope the other day and after finding Grinder closed my free trial.
However one mag description was incorrect. Rookiemag takes fiction from writers of all ages, not just teenage girls. I asked them personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.