After the comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
When I first get comments back on a story, I am thrilled and can't wait to make a bunch of changes and have my story as good as it can get. But then I reread the comments, and sometimes I don't know where to start. Maybe I feel overwhelmed. Does anyone else feel like this? I think the more specific comments are the better. Every paragraph is marked up on the story I'm working on now. That's a lot of fixing. And none of it is little stuff like spelling or grammar. I guess part of me fears I will mess it up even more. How do you all begin to rework a piece after getting some good feedback? Is it easy for you or do you struggle a little like me?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I often have to let the comments "digest" by reading them through once, then mulling them over for hours, days, or weeks. There have been times I've even had to separate the comments from who wrote them, in order to look at them objectively. ("Lorraine is a twatwaffle and couldn't possible be right about anything, so...") And if we're being honest, there've been plenty of times when I had to step away until I was no longer hurt or angry, which sometimes takes a good long while.

When I can return to my writing with calm objectivity, then the work begins. I review the comments and start with fixing errors while my brain chews over structural and developmental changes I might be smart to make.

IMO, if you've got someone marking up every paragraph, you have a gold mine in a reader who's doing his or her damnedest to make sure every single flaw and weakness in the version they saw is addressed and improved. How cool is that? Plenty of people would kill to have that level of feedback.

Maryn, who doesn't kill, even for that

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Comments from who? My experience is that if you follow comments from average beta readers, you are probably screwed.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
My comments are from other writers in my MFA program. I value their opinions because I think they are all very talented and their comments, for the most part, I agree with. Then there is my professor who is brilliant and has many published books and stories. My last story was workshopped with a very accomplished author who took part in the class. He read my story ahead of time. He thought it was close to being ready for publication and even showed it to an editor he knows who wants to see it after I make revisions. I think I am a little nervous about that. Maybe that's part of the reason I am having trouble with my edits on this one.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Comments from who? My experience is that if you follow comments from average beta readers, you are probably screwed.
Everyone has something helpful to add, even if it's just they do or don't like it. I have a beta who's not very strong in things like spelling and such (which is fine by me, since those are my strong suits), but damn, she's like a freaking encyclopedia and has given me lots of things to consider on altering my stories.

It's comments like these that make people scared to even try.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly your experience with beta readers is different from many, James. Perhaps you didn't choose them well.

Maryn

Nonsuch

All Too Concise and Too Clear
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danwiencek.net
Some critiques are more macro (structural issues, character development, pacing) and some micro (punctuation, direct vs. indirect speech). It might help to sort out the critiques roughly into those two buckets. Tackle the macro issues first, and it may end up obviating many of the micro concerns.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Clearly your experience with beta readers is different from many, James. Perhaps you didn't choose them well.

Maryn

Well, James might have said it kind of strongly, but I agree with him. It's a short story. How many pieces of advice do you need? Maybe one trusted beta? Because if you give it to 12 people (or 3 or 4), you're going to get 12 (or 3 or 4) different ways to 'fix' your story.

I can't do that. I'd get nothing done.

Last edited:

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense- it can be overwhelming to see a great deal of critique and feel that there is a lot of editing to be done, and it can often times be overbearing, but just try to take it one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.