Arizona Botches Latest Execution

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a different story with some other details related to the excecution:
http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/oklahoma/first-amendment-fight-wont-stop-arizona-execution/ngk6G/
I thought the reaction of the victim's family was interesting - they didn't seem to have any problem with the method of execution, and were satisfied at his death:
Wood, 55, gasped more than 600 times before he died. Defense lawyer Dale Baich called it a botched execution that should have taken 10 minutes.

Family members of the victims said they had no problems with the way the execution was carried out.

"This man conducted a horrific murder and you guys are going, let's worry about the drugs," said Richard Brown. "Why didn't they give him a bullet, why didn't we give him Drano?"

Wood looked at the family members as he delivered his final words, saying he was thankful for Jesus Christ as his savior. At one point, he smiled at them, which angered the family.

"I take comfort knowing today my pain stops, and I said a prayer that on this or any other day you may find peace in all of your hearts and may God forgive you all," Wood said.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I thought the reaction of the victim's family was interesting - they didn't seem to have any problem with the method of execution, and were satisfied at his death:
If it were my family or a loved one who had been murdered, I wouldn't have any problem with the person responsible dying slowly. Hell, I would much care if they were tortured to death.

But the state has the responsibility to carry out executions efficiently and as humanely as possible.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Why isn't a blindfold and a shotgun slug to the brain considered humane?

Seriously? Even if you screw up you just load another round and fire again. Two minutes tops. As opposed to two hours of lava boiling through your veins.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
If it were my family or a loved one who had been murdered, I wouldn't have any problem with the person responsible dying slowly. Hell, I would much care if they were tortured to death.

But the state has the responsibility to carry out executions efficiently and as humanely as possible.

well said.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason I always thought it was because it was messy and unpleasant for the witnesses.

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
For some reason I always thought it was because it was messy and unpleasant for the witnesses.

True, but that only makes it cruel and unusual for the janitor, not the accused. The witnesses have the choice to watch or not (I believe), given fair warning about what is about to transpire, most would probably be prepared for the unpleasantness.

Last edited:

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
If we're going to do this, maybe we should turn the process over to veterinarians. They seem to have this procedure down pretty well.

Actually, the most promising method for a humane way is to use a nitrogen chamber. From what I've read, the person doesn't even realize anything is amiss - he or she just goes to sleep from the lack of oxygen and soon after dies.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Are firing squads an actual illegal form of execution in the US, or have they not been used because of "bad optics" rather than the law?

Someone mentioned that the Electric Chair is still a legal form of execution in at least one state, and it is arguably inhumane. There have been botched executions using the electric chair.
This, and if it's not considered humane, then why is the sale of guns not illegal?
Because guns are used for purposes other than executions.
If we're going to do this, maybe we should turn the process over to veterinarians. They seem to have this procedure down pretty well.

Actually, the most promising method for a humane way is to use a nitrogen chamber. From what I've read, the person doesn't even realize anything is amiss - he or she just goes to sleep from the lack of oxygen and soon after dies.
I can see it, companies that produce and sell the gas would refuse to sell it to states, out of fear of capital punishment protesters marching in front of their business.

No doubt veterinarians would also refuse to cooperate with an execution.

It appears the "general public" is dead-set against having any involvement with executions, not on principle, but because of attracting protestors and losing business. It's just not worth it.

Practically speaking, States should just give up on trying to execute anyone. Commute all on death row to sentences of life without parole, and save a lot of money.

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com

Or heck, stick them in a small room with one end of a pipe, the other end being around the exhaust of a car. How cheap would that be?

Just to be clear. Veterinarians screw up on this too. Especially with new drug cocktails and things. You think it's bad when a criminal sits there in agonizing pain for two hours before dying, try to imagine facing the family of the dog that's currently howling in agony while you're on your third injection.

I understand people's abhorrence to capital punishment, and while I think it's use should be reserved for the absolute worst crimes, I don't think it should be removed from the table entirely.

Better to have an option you never use than to not have it at least available.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Firing squad is an optional method of execution in the U.S. It's only employed by a couple of states, as an option, though others have considered including it.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Firing squad is an optional method of execution in the U.S. It's only employed by a couple of states, as an option, though others have considered including it.

If you're going to kill people, I think a bullet is perfectly fine.

Also, cheap.

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
If you're going to kill people, I think a bullet is perfectly fine.

Also, cheap.

Exactly. I'm willing to bet most prisons pay a hefty sum for those cocktails, and not just anyone is allowed to come in, stick a needle in the perp's arm either. Those medical professionals probably charge a good amount for doing such an ill-viewed task.

Meanwhile, bullets are cheap, and anyone that truly deserves such a punishment will likely have a line for people to get in for the chance to shoot them.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Capital punishment is state sanctioned premeditated murder. Amazing it's still allowed.

Well, yes. But if it is, a bullet might be better applied than all the rest of it. Especially - not to be rude - in the USA, where clearly many more people know how to shoot to kill than know how to use drugs for killing. According to news reports.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
First, I'll admit; I'm always second guessing myself when it comes to the death penalty. Sometimes I feel it's right, sometimes I think it's not.

I wonder what cost has to do with capital punishment. The cost-argument usually makes it's appearence in death-penalty-threads. Are there so many executions that the manner of execution actually makes a real difference in state expenditure? I thought it was the extended judiciary proceedings and the need of maintaining a death row, that made the death penalty expensive.

If cost is a real issue, why not build one big nitrogen chamber-crematorium complex, located in the middle of the country? Cheap and easy.

Perhaps this cost-consciousness comes from the wish to degrade the convicts even further? They're such bad people, even their deaths should be an insult? I know, it's about child murderers or worse. But when they're dead, their deaths don't mean anything to them anymore. They're only relevant to us.

A second thought, on the firing squad (since I've already Godwinned myself in this post). How many people are capable of shooting other people on a regular basis, without psychological damage? I know that's one of the reasons why the Nazi's went from Einzatsgruppen to, yes, sheds with automobiles connected to them via tubes, to the deathcamps we all know. Most German soldiers just didn't want to shoot so many people at so short a range. Perhaps that is the reason why the firing squad isn't used more often?

Finally, If I were to determine the manner of my own execution, I'd go for the slug any day.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
First, I'll admit; I'm always second guessing myself when it comes to the death penalty. Sometimes I feel it's right, sometimes I think it's not.

I wonder what cost has to do with capital punishment. The cost-argument usually makes it's appearence in death-penalty-threads. Are there so many executions that the manner of execution actually makes a real difference in state expenditure? I thought it was the extended judiciary proceedings and the need of maintaining a death row, that made the death penalty expensive.

It is the appeals, mostly, that up the cost of capital punishment, yes. The cost of the literal execution isn't really a thing. I mean it is, as it costs money not just to buy drugs and pay medical personnel, but to set the thing up, make sure it works, hold a press conference, deal with processing viewing requests, etc., etc. It's not an amount that'd likely be significant in the scheme of things, and certainly the firing squad vs. lethal injection wouldn't really make a difference.

If cost is a real issue, why not build one big nitrogen chamber-crematorium complex, located in the middle of the country? Cheap and easy.

That's not possible for a few reasons. I don't believe it's a method that's used. Even if it was approved by some states, capital punishment within states is within states. Federal is federal. If someone convicted of a crime in Texas is sentenced to death, Texas has to execute the person - can't send them to Nebraska or whatever.

Perhaps this cost-consciousness comes from the wish to degrade the convicts even further? They're such bad people, even their deaths should be an insult? I know, it's about child murderers or worse. But when they're dead, their deaths don't mean anything to them anymore. They're only relevant to us.

It's not about child murderers or worse. I mean some are, but there are plenty of people executed for shooting someone during a robbery or what have you.

A second thought, on the firing squad (since I've already Godwinned myself in this post). How many people are capable of shooting other people on a regular basis, without psychological damage? I know that's one of the reasons why the Nazi's went from Einzatsgruppen to, yes, sheds with automobiles connected to them via tubes, to the deathcamps we all know. Most German soldiers just didn't want to shoot so many people at so short a range. Perhaps that is the reason why the firing squad isn't used more often?

The firing squad is, again, an option in very few states. That it's an option means it can be chosen by the inmate. The state can't force someone to be shot.

Most states that employ capital punishment (it's a few more than half, iirc) don't offer any choice - they have lethal injection. A few have the electric chair, firing squad, I think someone may still have cyanide gas, but I'm not sure. If the state has the options, it's prisoner's choice.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How much did his victim suffer before her death?

Her suffering is the one I am concerned with. His-meh.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Strap 'em to a drone and drop 'em into a wedding party somewhere in the Middle East. That always seems to be effective.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I have an awesome solution to this. Let's just do away with the death penalty. Considering the number of questionable cases that have happened, and the number of criminals who have been exonerated after twenty years in prison, I doubt we should really be doing it anyway.

It would do away with the botched executions, for one, and (since someone above mentioned money) life in prison is cheaper than paying for all of the appeals in court as well.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi

Me too, mostly. My wife is adamantly against the death penalty, which raises an interesting issue. If she were murdered, I'd kind of feel obliged to ask the state to NOT execute her killer.

Do you mean moral or legal responsibility? Morally, maybe, but I believe that legally it's only required to make sure it's not cruel and unusual, which I don't think is the same thing as making sure executions are carried out "efficiently and as humanely as possible."