poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"No Non-Whitey Sperm for Whitey"

I don't find that surprising, since most people (naturally) want a child that looks like themselves. I am surprised, however, over the racist term 'Whitey.' I doubt that an equivalent epithet used against any other race would be allowed on here.

my anti-white bias is well-documented. they all need to be rounded up and sent back to scandanavia.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that this same approach is used with adoptions. In other words, adoption agencies strive to match ethnicities and some insist on it. Perhaps we have a social worker or three on board who might be able to clarify.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
That doesn't mean we don't occasionally breed morons.

i'd say the policy practically guarantees it.

By the time she narrowed down her pool of potential donors to those who met Canadian standards, had a good health history and a compatible blood type, she was left with only 20 or so Caucasian candidates to choose from. Many of them had already been used by several other patients in Calgary.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
The funny thing is that the article says the clinic has a policy of "allowing" interacial couples to choose a donor from either partners ethnic group. The policy for monoracial couples is the issue. That and the assumption that skin is what makes culture. I'm both ethnically and culturally mixed, I identify with black culture because my mother made sure I was rooted in my father's family and culture. My mom is half-jewish, we went to Temple and to a Black church. I idenify with Jewish culture because the first prayer I learned as a extremely small child was in hebrew. I doubt that there's someone both black and Jewish in their donor pool. What would someone who is mixed and Jewish or Black and Jewish do for a donor?

It's an idiotic policy.

This brings up another question.

If two White Jewish woman wants a sperm donor, will they make sure it's from a nice Jewish boy? Do they check circumcision of the donor?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'll bet they'd make no attempt to insist in a Jewish donor because Jewish isn't a skin color.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'll bet they'd make no attempt to insist in a Jewish donor because Jewish isn't a skin color.

And you would be wrong, I watched a documentary on a women who was an older parent. She was Jewish, and she wanted both the eggs and sperm that would create her children to be from Jewish people. For some faith, whether for egg or sperm does matter. It is a question of the person whether it matters or not. Don't be quick to paint every Jewish person with the same paintbrush.

I also personally know someone on another board who is mullato. For her it was important her partner also be Jewish, and that he could share the same faith with her and any children they had. The man she fell in love with an chose to marry just happened to be white because most of the jewish community is white in this country.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
they just wouldn't attempt treatment on saturday since the sperm would likely not fertilize on shabbat.

Mayday

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it. Being white affords me and other whites an absolute embarrassment of unearned privileges. If anyone of any race wants to use the term whitey to describe my race, I'm OK with it.
You may be okay with it, but I'm not. In much the same way, as some blacks have no problem with the 'N' word, and others do. So unless we're going to spell out the 'N' word, we shouldn't be spelling out the 'W' one. Consistency is important. And BTW, what exactly are those 'unearned privileges' whites are supposed to have enjoyed?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
You may be okay with it, but I'm not. In much the same way, as some blacks have no problem with the 'N' word, and others do. So unless we're going to spell out the 'N' word, we shouldn't be spelling out the 'W' one. Consistency is important.

They aren't the same. Some words are considered more offensive than others.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
unless we're going to spell out the 'N' word, we shouldn't be spelling out the 'W' one. Consistency is important. And BTW, what exactly are those 'unearned privileges' whites are supposed to have enjoyed?

History is more important. (Except in bread-making, of course. In breadmaking consistency is everything.)

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
You may be okay with it, but I'm not. In much the same way, as some blacks have no problem with the 'N' word, and others do. So unless we're going to spell out the 'N' word, we shouldn't be spelling out the 'W' one. Consistency is important.
So is context.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
And you would be wrong, I watched a documentary on a women who was an older parent. She was Jewish, and she wanted both the eggs and sperm that would create her children to be from Jewish people. For some faith, whether for egg or sperm does matter. It is a question of the person whether it matters or not. Don't be quick to paint every Jewish person with the same paintbrush.

I also personally know someone on another board who is mullato. For her it was important her partner also be Jewish, and that he could share the same faith with her and any children they had. The man she fell in love with an chose to marry just happened to be white because most of the jewish community is white in this country.

Jewish is a religion, a culture and an ethnicity, depending on how the person in question identifies.

You'll have converts from all over the map who are religiously Jewish, yet don't have traditionally Jewish names or "look" like the stereotypical idea of a Jewish person, and you also have people who've never attended a single service who still identify as Jewish ethnically and/or culturally. Then there's the conundrum in mixed families where you get asked if you're Jewish via your mother or your father, because it's the mother's heritage that matters most.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jewish is a religion, a culture and an ethnicity, depending on how the person in question identifies.

You'll have converts from all over the map who are religiously Jewish, yet don't have traditionally Jewish names or "look" like the stereotypical idea of a Jewish person, and you also have people who've never attended a single service who still identify as Jewish ethnically and/or culturally. Then there's the conundrum in mixed families where you get asked if you're Jewish via your mother or your father, because it's the mother's heritage that matters most.

Exactly. Point being my friend who is mullato and half Jewish personally felt it important to have a Jewish spouse. I certainly would if I had maintained more ties to the community, but my ties aren't as strong as her's are.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. Point being my friend who is mullato and half Jewish personally felt it important to have a Jewish spouse. I certainly would if I had maintained more ties to the community, but my ties aren't as strong as her's are.

Also exactly.

You can't determine a person's background solely by the way they look. On first meeting, you don't know their history. It's ridiculous to look at a potential parent, check a box on a form, and decide they're not suited for any child because they might not match. It's a family, not drapes and couches.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
This quote bugs me:

“I’m not sure that we should be creating rainbow families just because some single woman decides that that’s what she wants,” he said.

That seems very disparaging toward the women. Like single women aren't capable of making reasonable choices about the families they have.

Who the hell else should make the decision?

I don't find that surprising, since most people (naturally) want a child that looks like themselves.

If everyone wanted a child that looks like them (and this is ignoring the fact that all children inherit a mixture of features from both biological parents, and may or may not closely resemble the mother. What makes having a child who shares some of your features but has a darker skin tone any different than having a child who shares your skin tone but has different hair and eye colors?), then there would be no "need" for the company's policy. People can choose to select donors who match their ethnicity if they want. They shouldn't be forced to.

Depends on the rational behind the discrimination. Jewishness can be seen as an ethnicity and a lot of anti-Semites seem to perceive Jewish people as being a different race. There are also physical features that people associate with Jewish people. For example, it's common for offensively stereotypical characters to have large noses in order to code them as Jewish.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Also exactly.

You can't determine a person's background solely by the way they look. On first meeting, you don't know their history. It's ridiculous to look at a potential parent, check a box on a form, and decide they're not suited for any child because they might not match. It's a family, not drapes and couches.

Yup. And if the prospective parent isn't equipped to raise a child who is a PoC, that isn't for you to decide. That is for the parent to choose, obviously they feel equipped if they want a multiracial child.

Now, I will add the caveate that I feel a parent not willing to give a multi/biracial child a community outside of the white community isn't the best match for a child who IS going to be treated as a PoC all their lives. But it's unlikely such parents are going to want a multiracial child to begin with.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
And BTW, what exactly are those 'unearned privileges' whites are supposed to have enjoyed?
Perhaps unearned privileges isn't the most accurate description. I might call it negative, nagging things that don't happen to whites who may not be aware that such things regularly happen to minorities.

I recall reading in Neil DeGrasse Tyson's book "The Sky Is Not The Limit: Adventures of an Urban Astrophysicist" about getting stopped by police as he took a long drive. He mentioned the acronyms DWB and JBB. As a white person, I don't think I've EVER been stopped by police for no good reason, without having actually done something that legitimately got their attention.

But again, this "unearned privilege" may be a misleading term. The "privileges" and respect that whites/men/WASPs enjoy should be enjoyed just as well by everyone including minorities, but too often they're not.