US House of Representatives banned from editing Wikipedia following disruptive changes to pages

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28481876

Wikipedia administrators have imposed a ban on page edits from computers at the US House of Representatives, following "persistent disruptive editing."

One of the acts highlighted was an alteration to the page on the assassination of John F Kennedy, which was changed to say that Lee Harvey Oswald was acting "on behalf of the regime of Fidel Castro".

An entry on the moon landing conspiracy theories was changed to say they were "promoted by the Cuban government".

Wikipedians have been warning editors from the House of Representatives since March 2012, and moved to block the address for one day earlier this month.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
You mean this isn't actually true?

The biography of former US defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld was edited to say that he was an "alien lizard".

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The folks who write our laws can't be trusted to edit Wikipedia entries?

We are so screwed.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

We are so screwed.
It's a stretch to think lawmakers made the edits since they are only accorded to the IP address of what I'm guessing is the edge router. Anyone in the network could have made the edits.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Rumsfeld is no lizard, alien or otherwise. I believe he's some kind of amphibian, though.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's a stretch to think lawmakers made the edits since they are only accorded to the IP address of what I'm guessing is the edge router. Anyone in the network could have made the edits.

Yup. My reaction too. I really doubt that any U.S. Congressperson has enough free time or is tech savvy enough to edit Wikipedia articles. Or gives a crap about Wikipedia articles. This smacks of some low-level functionaries who have access to the network.

And could even, in many cases, be pranks.

Oh, yeah, and Rumsfeld is a slime mold. I have it on good authority.

caw

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, after seeing some of the representatives that get into office, them altering Wikipedia wouldn't shock me. Or them telling someone that works for them to do it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
So, can we separate red IP addresses from blue ones? How many are editing their own entries and how many editing others' entries?
Now we all sit back and wait for the cries of "But.... free speech!!!"
That would be a fascinating claim from those used to paying for speech with money raised from their supporters.
Yup. My reaction too. I really doubt that any U.S. Congressperson has enough free time or is tech savvy enough to edit Wikipedia articles. Or gives a crap about Wikipedia articles. This smacks of some low-level functionaries who have access to the network.

And could even, in many cases, be pranks.

Oh, yeah, and Rumsfeld is a slime mold. I have it on good authority.

caw
I once saw (and reverted, it's easy enough) some silly vandalism of a minor nonfiction author's wikipedia entry which said he was (among a couple other similar personal things that I forget) incontinent.

Silly vandalism is enough of a thing that that's the Official Wikipedia Name for it.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score

We are so screwed.
On second reading of the question, those "folks who write our laws" are major financial contributors, and they probably see Wikipedia as irrelevant.

I agree with others, it's surely the interns and other low-level "true believers" who do the vast majority of edits from that IP range. If the Reps themselves or their contributors saw Wikipedia as important, they'd at least be more thoughtful and subtle in their edits.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
A FOIA request of the IP addresses and logs for the wikipedia related IP traffic would likely reveal which office or personal machine changed/wrote what. It would not surprise me to see that information coming out in due time.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Considering I've heard of teachers editing Wikipedia entries to find out who is using it as a source and that a senator has been accused of plagiarizing from Wikipedia, I wonder if the motives behind these edits are less than honest and more than pranks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com

Staffers have a reputation in this area--so yeah, not the actual representatives but certainly people who are meant to be serving the process

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
What, the buck doesn't have to stop anywhere? At the least, these are some of the minions of the CMFIC, ...
I didn't immediately recognize that series of letters, so I hit Google [I do this regularly without much thought in Firefox - double-click to select a word/acronym, right-click, select Search Google for "CMFIC"], expecting an organization similar to ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council), but nooooooooooo ...

A FOIA request of the IP addresses and logs for the wikipedia related IP traffic would likely reveal which office or personal machine changed/wrote what. It would not surprise me to see that information coming out in due time.
I recall hearing that a FOIA request can take "some time" to get a response, especially if the request is too general or ill-defined.

But with what has been going on with the IRS and such, I wonder if the response time might become arbitrarily long even for a very specific and well-written request (say, a request for where a specific IP address goes to at a specific time related to a specific Wikipedia edit).

Here's a short article on how to do it from the FDA (especially pay attention to point B), but I recall someone having more info or a blogpost about it. I've got a feeler out requesting the info, but for now:

http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/FOI/HowtoMakeaFOIARequest/default.htm

ETA: My "request on FOIA requests" brought up two interesting Twitter feeds:
https://twitter.com/FOIAMachine
https://twitter.com/MuckRock

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Considering I've heard of teachers editing Wikipedia entries to find out who is using it as a source and that a senator has been accused of plagiarizing from Wikipedia, I wonder if the motives behind these edits are less than honest and more than pranks.

I know I shouldn't approve of this at all, but...that's kind of brilliant. Not saying I'd ever do it or recommend anyone do it, but in the neverending quest to make students do their own work, it's pretty impressive. ;)

TheMathematician

Technical Writing Wizard
Registered
Reaction score
It's by no means the rest of the world. There are plenty of people who know that our leaders regularly lie, cheat and steal in the service of the oligarchy in which they so proudly claim membership. Trust in all government institutions is at an all-time low in general, although that doesn't seem to carry over to this forum. During the Bush regime, many of those with their blinders off were liberals. Apparently who's captain of the ship is more important to a lot of folks than whether the ship of state is headed over a cliff or not.

And why is political polarization at an all-time high? (one of the drivers of low trust in government)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MOD NOTE:

Derail has been excised and ported to The Landfill.

Carry on, this time with less personal crap, please and thank you.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't approve of this at all, but...that's kind of brilliant. Not saying I'd ever do it or recommend anyone do it, but in the neverending quest to make students do their own work, it's pretty impressive. ;)

I don't know, it might be an urban legend. I think it'd be pretty much impossible these days because wikipedia is so fast to notice and set right these things, and try to take action like this, so it'd be hard to do this to a page that gets any significant traffic, i.e. anything taught in school.

I don't think that would stop reps from attempting, though.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend (since waaaay back in school) who will probably make it to the Senate, or Governor's office, who probably got an enormous kick out of the edits from high in his lofty office in current government ;) He's too smart to do the editing and probably doesn't actually support it, but I'm sure he thought it was funny.

You know those graduation pranks or Harvard hijinks where the really great students often take part? Like that. That's why interns are notorious for that sort of thing, imho. If that's what it is, then meh, except I bet some do get fired for it, lol.

BTW, this guy I know is really smart and effective and all that. He's just also amused by certain silly things :D It's juvenile, but I don't think it's a big deal (and graduation pranks are awesome!).