Whatup

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.

I was going to say no man is an island, but that's not really true. Take a man floating in the middle of the ocean; He supports life, in the microbial and viral sense, and provides a landmass for these creatures to survive on, not to mention sustenance and whatnot. A large enough man could be an island to a teeny tiny man, also, if they could work out buoyancy. So a man in the right circumstances can be an island, though it's not a position anyone involved probably wants to be in.

Anyway, no man can exist in a void. Well ok yes a man can exist in a void, but for how long? Finite resources, encroaching madness from lack of stimulus etc, but I guess that makes my point even better than the original sentiment.

No man can stay focused and sane in a void.

There we go.

Which brings me to why I'm here! I'm Rick/4burner, been writing off an on for about 5 years now, working on a novel I like to call Shadows of Genesis, because that's what I've called it. I think I'm alright at the whole bashing words together thing, but I'm basically here to get some feedback and critiques and see how that whole thing shakes out. I used to be a member of a different forum which had a little writers nook, but the activity levels there died a slow and torturous death, and I quit that a while back and have yet to replace the whole "Other people reading your work" thing.

It'll be a hoot posting here I think. The other place wasn't exactly genuine, or maybe just not for me. A lot of weepy twilight-types with 'dark' and 'brooding' angsty pieces which just made me want to tear my eyes out with the amount of sappiness and damp cloth feelings involved. Contrast that with my sci-fi stuff and it was never going to be a good audience for me. Anyway...

I'm also looking forward to reading some other sci-fi. Especially whilst I sit at my work desk and ignore the ever-growing pile of invoices and banality.

So yeah. WORD UP HOMES. HOLLAATCHABOI!

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Allo all :D

Meg I'm East Coast, Newcastle to be specific. Though quite partial to a visit to your fine city of Melbourne. The shoes I'm wearing right now came from Melbourne, in fact.

Are we a common breed around these parts?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Welcome Rick, great place Australia. I love the animal life you have, and would love to spend years in the Outback. SF, huh? Hey, visit my Blog sometime.

4burner

Explosionaire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all!

Tom - Pangea sounds interesting! And yes I am totally a scifi nut. I honestly don't think I could write anything else. I would set out to write a high fantasy epic and somehow shoehorn a Star Destroyer in.

No mean feat.

Meg02

Registered
Reaction score
Allo all :D

Meg I'm East Coast, Newcastle to be specific. Though quite partial to a visit to your fine city of Melbourne. The shoes I'm wearing right now came from Melbourne, in fact.

Are we a common breed around these parts?

Common! Psh speak for yourself! :D there's a few of us loitering around. Enough to fuel the odd cautionary tale about drop bears. :)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I remember you from the other writers' forum. I didn't realise we were all such weepy Twilight types. Ouch. That's me told. :tongue

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DANG!

I gotta say Kid, that's one of the best intros evah!

So here goes: That's one of the best intros evah! :D

:welcome:

Hannah M

Me. Who else?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi :hi:welcome!

I can't see AW ever dying a slow death, if it does have to pop it will be with a bang b/c the server was overloaded :D (wait. Why is that a smilie? Should be :cry:)

plumone

Registered
Reaction score
Holla! Check out the Share Your Work forums.