The "keep your head up" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
I made a post yesterday about an anti-gay ad, and I realised how easy it can be to get a bit down/angry/upset/whatever about all the negativity that's out there (because God knows, there is a lot of it). So I wanted to make a thread where you could post any positive QUILTBAG things you find. Pictures, videos, speeches, words of advice, songs, stories, whatever.

I don't know if people will be interested in this, but I figure it could brighten up the day of someone who's struggling, just when they need it most.

I'll start.

Here are two (straight) girls who kissed in front of an anti-gay marriage protest in France. Yaaaay for allies!

[Admin Note: image removed; hot linked images are not allowed because they often, as in this case, are being served from sites with malware]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Awww! That's sweet. I think I'm going to enjoy this thread. I'll have to add something to it later though, can't think of what to add at the moment.

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy you like the idea :)

On another note, here's a video edit of Twilight as a gay love story between Jacob and Edward (it's done brilliantly):

Brokeback Twilight

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pample, I agree with everyone else that this is a great idea. As a young gay man, I often purposely avoid reading a lot of news articles about QUILTBAG issues mainly because a lot of it is so negative and disheartening. I am admittedly a pretty sensitive person who regularly struggles with anxiety and depression, so reading a piece of particularly bad news (QUILTBAG-related or otherwise) can make me feel down or upset for a while. I definitely could use more positives!

So, thank you for starting this! I'll try and contribute if I can find anything worth posting.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
Pample, I agree with everyone else that this is a great idea. As a young gay man, I often purposely avoid reading a lot of news articles about QUILTBAG issues mainly because a lot of it is so negative and disheartening. I am admittedly a pretty sensitive person who regularly struggles with anxiety and depression, so reading a piece of particularly bad news (QUILTBAG-related or otherwise) can make feel down or upset for a while. I definitely could use more positives!

So, thank you for starting this! I'll try and contribute if I can find anything worse posting.

I have the same thing; you know the negativity is ignorance/stupidity but when you see too much, it can seep in and make you feel like you're alone in a really nasty world. It's good to acknowledge all the support and love and empathy that is out there too. Keep your head up :)

That video made my day! Sooo much better a romance than the canon one.

It's just fantastic :D

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
I know this video was huge a while back, so many of you have possibly already seen it, but it always makes me tear up (or ball my eyes out, depending on how emotional I'm feeling on the day :tongue)

The Gay Rights Movement

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy you like the idea :)

On another note, here's a video edit of Twilight as a gay love story between Jacob and Edward (it's done brilliantly):

Brokeback Twilight
You know what?

A paranormal romance about who supernatural beings born to be enemies that end up falling in love, with a human thrown in who tries to get in between them?

That's a film I would actually watch willingly.

Why doesn't that exist?

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
You know what?

A paranormal romance about who supernatural beings born to be enemies that end up falling in love, with a human thrown in who tries to get in between them?

That's a film I would actually watch willingly.

Why doesn't that exist?

Well, it's definitely a better love story than -- oh, wait.

... :tongue

Here's a teacher's genuine and personal apology for inadvertent use of pronoun.

:)

What a great teacher, and a lovely gesture :)

nastyjman

not nasty at all
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard not to laugh at this skit. I wish my parents were like this when I came out.

Jorshington

Big Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joshthenormal.wordpress.com
This is a great thread - I haven't got anything to post right now, but I spend an inordinately dispraportionate amount of time on Tumblr, and I follow LGBT-friendly blogs, so I'll probably have something to post eventually.

Question: is everyone here other than JSF part of the LGBT community, or are there some who are straight but not narrow? As for myself, I'm still living at home and my parents are extremely conservative and coming out now wouldn't go well. So. .we'll see about that.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
...is everyone here other than JSF part of the LGBT community...

:hi:

...As for myself, I'm still living at home and my parents are extremely conservative and coming out now wouldn't go well. So. .we'll see about that.
Stay safe most of all. :Hug2: You'll figure out how to handle things in your own time.

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score
Question: is everyone here other than JSF part of the LGBT community, or are there some who are straight but not narrow? As for myself, I'm still living at home and my parents are extremely conservative and coming out now wouldn't go well. So. .we'll see about that.

Also: :hi:

I'm also living at home and made the decision to come out a few years back. Unfortunate as it is, I would advise waiting. I'm very sorry for your situation though, it's stressful and not easy. But keep your head up <3

Goldbirch

Shy Betula alleghaniensis
Registered
Reaction score
This is kind of mundane and not the most exciting of topics - but in our mail yesterday was a federal tax refund check. And on that check is my wife's name as well as my own. (Also it was considerably larger than it would have been if we'd both been forced to file single, as in the past.)

We'd been having a stressful day with the trying-to-become-parents project, and somehow coming home and seeing both of our names on that very official-looking piece of paper was the best thing.

The fly in the ointment is that I know that taxes have become more complicated for all the many people in states that don't recognize their marriages. But like this blogger (who got her taxes done with amazing speed, I must say, while I was still sitting around talking about how excited I was about taxes this year), I can't help celebrating this direct way in which federal recognition is impacting my family.
http://adventurousmoms.com/why-were-filing-a-joint-tax-return-after-7-years-of-marriage/

Edited to add: Brokeback Twilight! :roll:
Edited again to add: Immediately hitting replay on Brokeback Twilight reminded me of immediately hitting replay on this commercial. http://www.villageq.com/gay-teddy-grahams/

Last edited:

Jorshington

Big Daddy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joshthenormal.wordpress.com
Stay safe most of all. :Hug2: You'll figure out how to handle things in your own time.
Hallo. Nice to see you here--I think I saw you in Office Party sometime back.
I've decided that sunshine or rain, I'm going to have to come out next year. Details are incipient and sketchy at best, and it's going to be incredibly difficult, but I recently decided I couldn't put it on hold. Of course, by this time next year I'll be scared shitless, but what ho =P

Also: :hi:

I'm also living at home and made the decision to come out a few years back. Unfortunate as it is, I would advise waiting. I'm very sorry for your situation though, it's stressful and not easy. But keep your head up <3
Hallo to you, too. Thanks for the encouragement ^^ How did your family and friends react when you came out?

This is kind of mundane and not the most exciting of topics - but in our mail yesterday was a federal tax refund check. And on that check is my wife's name as well as my own. (Also it was considerably larger than it would have been if we'd both been forced to file single, as in the past.)

We'd been having a stressful day with the trying-to-become-parents project, and somehow coming home and seeing both of our names on that very official-looking piece of paper was the best thing.

The fly in the ointment is that I know that taxes have become more complicated for all the many people in states that don't recognize their marriages. But like this blogger (who got her taxes done with amazing speed, I must say, while I was still sitting around talking about how excited I was about taxes this year), I can't help celebrating this direct way in which federal recognition is impacting my family.
Whoo, congratulations! I'm glad for the both of you.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Question: is everyone here other than JSF part of the LGBT community, or are there some who are straight but not narrow? QUOTE]
---

Well, shit, was that a compliment or an insult? I can't decide.

:D

FWIW, I'd like to think of myself on decent terms with the LGBT community. Things could always be better in terms of understanding which I'm making an effort to do, but for now, it's all good.

As for your decision to come out, only you can answer that. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well with it.

Pamplemousse

Registered
Reaction score

http://adventurousmoms.com/why-were-filing-a-joint-tax-return-after-7-years-of-marriage/

That made me smile. It might be mundane, but a lot of the debating and protesting and whatnot boils down to that little day-to-day stuff. So congrats on your taxes and good luck with the trying-to-become-parents project :)

Edited to add: Brokeback Twilight! :roll:
Edited again to add: Immediately hitting replay on Brokeback Twilight reminded me of immediately hitting replay on this commercial. http://www.villageq.com/gay-teddy-grahams/

Also, that is one sweet ad!

Hallo to you, too. Thanks for the encouragement ^^ How did your family and friends react when you came out?

Friends were/are all fantastic. My family didn't take it so great, so there have been a tense few years. But as JSF said, it's only you who can know what to do for your own situation. Whatever your choice, I also wish you the best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.