Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Hi, guys. I was wondering if any of you who have reached the querying stage could answer a question for me. How do you approach your QUILTBAG status in your query? Do you mention it at all, say if the fic isn't obviously QUILTBAG but has QUILTBAG characters? What if you're approaching an agent who specifically says they're interested in seeing work from authors like us? If you did mention it, how did you phrase it? Thanks in advance.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, as a straight dude who's written a few lesbian-themed novels (see avi) I never mentioned my orientation to my publisher and I don't think that's a prereq in querying. If I were a publisher, I'd be more interested in reading something good rather than knowing about your orientation--gay, straight, bi, transgender, or whatever.

I suppose that if you landed a big, fat contract with a major publisher who for some reason didn't like the idea of someone in the LGBTQ set writing a great novel, then it might be cause for concern, but let's face it, if your novel is THAT good (and I hope it is) then they'll publish it. The bottom line is green. Always has been and always will be.

JMO...

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I think the agents in question just want good books featuring characters who are diverse like that. I don't think they care if the person who wrote it is a member of that community or not. They're selling books, they're not selling you.

If it's not relevant to your book (and it isn't), then you don't mention it in your query. If you were a plastic surgeon and were writing a book about plastic surgery, then you could mention that, if that makes any sense, and even then, it would only really be relevant if the book in question was a non-fiction plastic surgery book.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
Thanks, guys. I ask because I've noticed lately some agents specifically saying they want to represent diverse AUTHORS, not just books. I am not sure, though, how they expect to learn about that diversity.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only mention my being gay in the bio that appears in both books. It didn't come up in my query letters because, as mentioned above, that's not linked to my writing ability. If part of the submission requests a short bio then, yeah, I'd include it ("BenPanced lives with his boyfriend and his cat in St. Paul, Minnesota").

Last edited:

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
I was thinking about this as well, particularly with the focus on diversity in books lately. If I do include it, it would probably be in the personalization part of the query, along the lines of, "I was also pleased to see your interest in representing LGBT authors."

Status
Not open for further replies.